Thread: Kentucky .40cal ammo purchase age?

Post imported post

What is the minimum age to purchase .40 cal ammo in Kentucky? I'm sure if you tell them it is for a handgun, they are going to say 21, but what if you were to say it was for a rifle?Thanks all

Post imported post

well, if you're trying to circumvent the law, why are you worried about legality of purchasing age for handgun ammo?

Post imported post

FightingGlock19 wrote:
    well, if you're trying to circumvent the law, why are you worried about legality of purchasing age for handgun ammo?
    So I can go to the range whenever I want without having to break the law. There are several places i can go that I can still get it regardless of my age, but it would be much more convienent to be able to go anywhere to get it rather than a select few stores.

Post imported post

I never buy handgun ammo, I only buy "carbine" ammo.

Post imported post

dave1289 wrote:
    I never buy handgun ammo, I only buy "carbine" ammo.
    And how old are you if you don't mind my asking?

Post imported post

I'm 18.

-Dave

Post imported post

Most places still wont sell it to you even if you say its for a rifle as it is for the most part a pistol caliber

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

glock23_733 wrote:
    FightingGlock19 wrote:
    So I can go to the range whenever I want without having to break the law. There are several places i can go that I can still get it regardless of my age, but it would be much more convienent to be able to go anywhere to get it rather than a select few stores.
    It is not all that bright to brag about committing federal felonies on the Internet. If you are buying ammo for a handgun, its just illegal. There is no way around it.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

glock23_733 wrote:
    FightingGlock19 wrote:
    It is not all that bright to brag about committing federal felonies on the Internet. If you are buying ammo for a handgun, its just illegal. There is no way around it.

Post imported post

You could also try reloading your own ammo. It is a fun hobby and is not illegal for an 18 year old.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

ilbob wrote:
    glock23_733 wrote:
    FightingGlock19 wrote:
    And how is it illegal to buy rifle ammo that one eventually uses in a pistol?

Or are we making up overly-restrictive gun laws that don't exist?

The OP has not yet admitted to lying to get ammo. As I read it, he goes into a store, buys rifle ammo, and uses it in a pistol. That's not illegal. He runs into snags because virtually every round in existance can be used in some pistol, and the caliber that he purchases most frequently is more likely to be used in a pistol than a rifle.

Bah, you'd think that at least they would make gun laws work in theory, but this one can't even do that...

Post imported post

Where are you buying ammo that they ask what it's for?:shock:

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
    Where are you buying ammo that they ask what it's for?:shock:
    Wally world in Virginia for one.
    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:

In Appalachian Resource Development v. ATF, the 6th Court of Appeals (of which Kentucky is a part) decided that although individuals under 21 could purchase ammunition 'interchangeable' with both handguns and rifles, the purchaser must prove to the seller that they own a rifle in a handgun caliber and that the seller must be "reasonably sure" that the purchaser is going to actually use the ammunition in said rifle. If ammunition purchased for use in rifle is used in a handgun, then federal law is being broken.

To use ammunition bought for rifles in handguns is illegal, plain and simple (at least according to the ATF.)

Post imported post

like_the_roman wrote:
    imperialism2024 wrote:

In Appalachian Resource Development v. ATF, the 6th Court of Appeals (of which Kentucky is a part) decided that although individuals under 21 could purchase ammunition 'interchangeable' with both handguns and rifles, the purchaser must prove to the seller that they own a rifle in a handgun caliber and that the seller must be "reasonably sure" that the purchaser is going to actually use the ammunition in said rifle. If ammunition purchased for use in rifle is used in a handgun, then federal law is being broken.

To use ammunition bought for rifles in handguns is illegal, plain and simple (at least according to the ATF.)
    Additionally, any retailer can refuse to sell if they believe the ammo will be used in an handgun, or for any other reason they choose.

Just a fact.