• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kentucky .40cal ammo purchase age?

glock23_733

imported post

What is the minimum age to purchase .40 cal ammo in Kentucky? I'm sure if you tell them it is for a handgun, they are going to say 21, but what if you were to say it was for a rifle?Thanks all

glock23_733

imported post

FightingGlock19 wrote:
well, if you're trying to circumvent the law, why are you worried about legality of purchasing age for handgun ammo?
So I can go to the range whenever I want without having to break the law. There are several places i can go that I can still get it regardless of my age, but it would be much more convienent to be able to go anywhere to get it rather than a select few stores.

ekucrj

imported post

Most places still wont sell it to you even if you say its for a rifle as it is for the most part a pistol caliber

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

glock23_733 wrote:
FightingGlock19 wrote:
well, if you're trying to circumvent the law, why are you worried about legality of purchasing age for handgun ammo?
So I can go to the range whenever I want without having to break the law. There are several places i can go that I can still get it regardless of my age, but it would be much more convienent to be able to go anywhere to get it rather than a select few stores.

It is not all that bright to brag about committing federal felonies on the Internet. If you are buying ammo for a handgun, its just illegal. There is no way around it.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

glock23_733 wrote:
FightingGlock19 wrote:

It is not all that bright to brag about committing federal felonies on the Internet. If you are buying ammo for a handgun, its just illegal. There is no way around it.

imperialism2024

imported post

ilbob wrote:
glock23_733 wrote:
FightingGlock19 wrote:

And how is it illegal to buy rifle ammo that one eventually uses in a pistol?

Or are we making up overly-restrictive gun laws that don't exist?

The OP has not yet admitted to lying to get ammo. As I read it, he goes into a store, buys rifle ammo, and uses it in a pistol. That's not illegal. He runs into snags because virtually every round in existance can be used in some pistol, and the caliber that he purchases most frequently is more likely to be used in a pistol than a rifle.

Bah, you'd think that at least they would make gun laws work in theory, but this one can't even do that...

like_the_roman

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:

In Appalachian Resource Development v. ATF, the 6th Court of Appeals (of which Kentucky is a part) decided that although individuals under 21 could purchase ammunition 'interchangeable' with both handguns and rifles, the purchaser must prove to the seller that they own a rifle in a handgun caliber and that the seller must be "reasonably sure" that the purchaser is going to actually use the ammunition in said rifle. If ammunition purchased for use in rifle is used in a handgun, then federal law is being broken.

To use ammunition bought for rifles in handguns is illegal, plain and simple (at least according to the ATF.)

superdemon

imported post

like_the_roman wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:

In Appalachian Resource Development v. ATF, the 6th Court of Appeals (of which Kentucky is a part) decided that although individuals under 21 could purchase ammunition 'interchangeable' with both handguns and rifles, the purchaser must prove to the seller that they own a rifle in a handgun caliber and that the seller must be "reasonably sure" that the purchaser is going to actually use the ammunition in said rifle. If ammunition purchased for use in rifle is used in a handgun, then federal law is being broken.

To use ammunition bought for rifles in handguns is illegal, plain and simple (at least according to the ATF.)

Additionally, any retailer can refuse to sell if they believe the ammo will be used in an handgun, or for any other reason they choose.

Just a fact.