Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: WARNING: It could happen to YOU!

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh (Beechview), Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    126

    Post imported post

    I've been handling guns since my first Hunters Safety Course in 1988. 20 years ago. I've owned .22 rifles, a lovely Winchester 30-30 and recently my Glock 22 (.40) my KelTec P32 and my Mossberg 500a.

    In the past 20 years I've never had a Negligent Discharge. Ever. Until Tonight.

    This is incredibly embarrassing to admit. But I feel I need to warn everyone... it doesn't matter how much experience you have, a N.D. could happen to you!

    No one was hurt, aside from the bruising my own ego took, a destroyed Network Switch, Cell phone and a hole in my desk and wall.

    They say that the two loudest sounds are a "Click" that should have gone "Bang"; and a "Bang" that should have gone "Click." - Never have truer words been spoken.

    So I leave you with pictures of the aftermath, and I implore you: Please, PLEASE be vigilant about checking the chamber and magazine of your firearms before you handle them!

    http://www.lildobe.net/guns/view.php...gent_Discharge

  2. #2
    Regular Member Fallguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    McKenzie Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    705

    Post imported post

    A good reminder, thanks for sharing.

    I'm glad nothing worse was damaged.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    , Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    275

    Post imported post

    glad nobody was hurt. An example such as this is why I only treat guns one way.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Franklin Township, DeKalb County, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    82

    Post imported post

    I've had 2 since '63, when I started carrying. No damage or injuries either time, Thank God!!!!!!

    I've witnessed a few more with no damage or injuries. It happens. I don't care how careful you are, sooner or later you'll have an accident of some kind. It might not be with a firearm, but you'll have an accident. Of course, accidents with firearms receive more bad press than accidents with automobiles, airplanes or jelly jars.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    Stunning coincidence, an ND within 22 posts of joining OCDO.

    Safety is a tyrant's tool; no one can be against safety. Believe nothing you read or hear without verifying it yourself unless it fits your pre-existing world view.



  6. #6
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849

    Post imported post

    I have nearly 40 years of firearm's experience and have never had an accidental/negligent discharge of any kind with any weapon at any location.

    However, I am not so stupid, pretentious, or vain to believe it cannot happen to me or to anyone else. My wife notes that about the only times she ever sees me being serious is when I am driving, when I am piloting our boat (currently do not have a boat), and when I am in the presence of any of my weapons.

    There are many times that I unload a carry gun and do a little draw-and-shoot practice or some dry firing. You can bet that my weapon is prodigiously checked and rechecked before these actions take place.

    I just happy for our member friend that no one was hurt in this mishap and that there was not more onerous damage to his home.


    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  7. #7
    Regular Member dougwg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,445

    Post imported post

    On a side note: 00buck works gooood don't it?!

  8. #8
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,606

    Post imported post

    lildobe wrote:
    I've been handling guns since my first Hunters Safety Course in 1988. 20 years ago. I've owned .22 rifles, a lovely Winchester 30-30 and recently my Glock 22 (.40) my KelTec P32 and my Mossberg 500a.

    In the past 20 years I've never had a Negligent Discharge. Ever. Until Tonight.

    This is incredibly embarrassing to admit. But I feel I need to warn everyone... it doesn't matter how much experience you have, a N.D. could happen to you!

    No one was hurt, aside from the bruising my own ego took, a destroyed Network Switch, Cell phone and a hole in my desk and wall.

    They say that the two loudest sounds are a "Click" that should have gone "Bang"; and a "Bang" that should have gone "Click." - Never have truer words been spoken.

    So I leave you with pictures of the aftermath, and I implore you: Please, PLEASE be vigilant about checking the chamber and magazine of your firearms before you handle them!

    http://www.lildobe.net/guns/view.php...gent_Discharge
    I too, am glad that nobody was injured. Also in theory, if the basic rules of firearms are followed, then it could only follow that ND's would not happen, however it would naive to think that it cannot happen, and that it could not happen to yourself.

    Cell phones, switches and the like are all replacable, you aren't...

    What exactly happened? Not check the chamber, drop the gun?

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    ...needed a story to flog-his-blog. Blog-flogging is spam redux.

  10. #10
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,606

    Post imported post

    Doug Huffman wrote:
    ...needed a story to flog-his-blog. Blog-flogging is spam redux.
    So you think its all made up?

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh (Beechview), Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    126

    Post imported post

    openryan wrote:
    Doug Huffman wrote:
    ...needed a story to flog-his-blog. Blog-flogging is spam redux.
    So you think its all made up?
    Obviously he does. Obviously I would INTENTIONALLY shoot a phone that I paid $1,500 for, and will cost me $600+ to replace.

    I *intentionally* damaged the hutch of my desk and wall f my apartment.

    I *intentionally* obliterated my network switch.

    ********.

    I was stupid and forgot that I'd loaded rounds into the magazine of the shotgun after taking pictures of it the night before. I was stupid and I forgot to check the magazine and chamber before doing exercises with the gun.

    I'm posting this here to warn people that even if you have 20 years without a ND, are fully versed in weapon safety, you can still be STUPID enough to have a ND.

    It could have been a lot worse, but thankfully the weapon was pointed in a safe direction, there were no pellets that escaped the room and no person was hurt, just replaceable technology and a reparable wall.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    openryan wrote:
    So you think its all made up?
    Believe nothing you read or hear without verifying it yourself unless it fits your pre-existing world view. 22 OCDO posts until an ND.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Superstition Mountain, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    424

    Post imported post

    Yeah, I feel safer when only people with over 1,000 posts have NDs, too.

    And let's not forget about all those people who aren't even members of OCDO, either! I'm sure none of their NDs are real.

    Apparently there is a certain minimum post count before your stories carry any weight. I'm going to start post-whoring so everyone will believe me in the future.

  14. #14
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,606

    Post imported post

    Doug Huffman wrote:
    openryan wrote:
    So you think its all made up?
    Believe nothing you read or hear without verifying it yourself unless it fits your pre-existing world view. 22 OCDO posts until an ND.
    If anything, I would think the join date would be more pertinent than the number of posts, lots of people just read stuff here, and post rarely, and a number of them read as guests before signing up.

    Maybe its true, maybe its not, I'd still like to hear more about how it happened...

    BTW did you check out his webpage...?

    How many ND's am I allowed?:P

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    3,806

    Post imported post

    Yeah, really....

    I'm a friggin' post-*****, so maybe people shouldn't be around me a while. :P
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

  16. #16
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,606

    Post imported post

    AbNo wrote:
    Yeah, really....

    I'm a friggin' post-*****, so maybe people shouldn't be around me a while. :P
    PM me... :P

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    914

    Post imported post

    wow... i don't even know what to say.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •