• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WARNING: It could happen to YOU!

lildobe

Pittsburgh (Beechview), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

I've been handling guns since my first Hunters Safety Course in 1988. 20 years ago. I've owned .22 rifles, a lovely Winchester 30-30 and recently my Glock 22 (.40) my KelTec P32 and my Mossberg 500a.

In the past 20 years I've never had a Negligent Discharge. Ever. Until Tonight.

This is incredibly embarrassing to admit. But I feel I need to warn everyone... it doesn't matter how much experience you have, a N.D. could happen to you!

No one was hurt, aside from the bruising my own ego took, a destroyed Network Switch, Cell phone and a hole in my desk and wall.

They say that the two loudest sounds are a "Click" that should have gone "Bang"; and a "Bang" that should have gone "Click." - Never have truer words been spoken.

So I leave you with pictures of the aftermath, and I implore you: Please, PLEASE be vigilant about checking the chamber and magazine of your firearms before you handle them!

http://www.lildobe.net/guns/view.php?sid=Misc&cid=12_Gauge_Shotgun_Negligent_Discharge

Ford Truck

Franklin Township, DeKalb County, Indiana, USA
imported post

I've had 2 since '63, when I started carrying. No damage or injuries either time, Thank God!!!!!!

I've witnessed a few more with no damage or injuries. It happens. I don't care how careful you are, sooner or later you'll have an accident of some kind. It might not be with a firearm, but you'll have an accident. Of course, accidents with firearms receive more bad press than accidents with automobiles, airplanes or jelly jars.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

I have nearly 40 years of firearm's experience and have never had an accidental/negligent discharge of any kind with any weapon at any location.

However, I am not so stupid, pretentious, or vain to believe it cannot happen to me or to anyone else. My wife notes that about the only times she ever sees me being serious is when I am driving, when I am piloting our boat (currently do not have a boat), and when I am in the presence of any of my weapons.

There are many times that I unload a carry gun and do a little draw-and-shoot practice or some dry firing. You can bet that my weapon is prodigiously checked and rechecked before these actions take place.

I just happy for our member friend that no one was hurt in this mishap and that there was not more onerous damage to his home.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

lildobe wrote:
I've been handling guns since my first Hunters Safety Course in 1988. 20 years ago. I've owned .22 rifles, a lovely Winchester 30-30 and recently my Glock 22 (.40) my KelTec P32 and my Mossberg 500a.

In the past 20 years I've never had a Negligent Discharge. Ever. Until Tonight.

This is incredibly embarrassing to admit. But I feel I need to warn everyone... it doesn't matter how much experience you have, a N.D. could happen to you!

No one was hurt, aside from the bruising my own ego took, a destroyed Network Switch, Cell phone and a hole in my desk and wall.

They say that the two loudest sounds are a "Click" that should have gone "Bang"; and a "Bang" that should have gone "Click." - Never have truer words been spoken.

So I leave you with pictures of the aftermath, and I implore you: Please, PLEASE be vigilant about checking the chamber and magazine of your firearms before you handle them!

http://www.lildobe.net/guns/view.php?sid=Misc&cid=12_Gauge_Shotgun_Negligent_Discharge
I too, am glad that nobody was injured. Also in theory, if the basic rules of firearms are followed, then it could only follow that ND's would not happen, however it would naive to think that it cannot happen, and that it could not happen to yourself.

Cell phones, switches and the like are all replacable, you aren't...

What exactly happened? Not check the chamber, drop the gun?

lildobe

Pittsburgh (Beechview), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

openryan wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
...needed a story to flog-his-blog. Blog-flogging is spam redux.
So you think its all made up?

Obviously he does. Obviously I would INTENTIONALLY shoot a phone that I paid $1,500 for, and will cost me $600+ to replace.

I *intentionally* damaged the hutch of my desk and wall f my apartment.

I *intentionally* obliterated my network switch.

Bullshit. :cuss:

I was stupid and forgot that I'd loaded rounds into the magazine of the shotgun after taking pictures of it the night before. I was stupid and I forgot to check the magazine and chamber before doing exercises with the gun.

I'm posting this here to warn people that even if you have 20 years without a ND, are fully versed in weapon safety, you can still be STUPID enough to have a ND.

It could have been a lot worse, but thankfully the weapon was pointed in a safe direction, there were no pellets that escaped the room and no person was hurt, just replaceable technology and a reparable wall.

mzbk2l

imported post

Yeah, I feel safer when only people with over 1,000 posts have NDs, too.

And let's not forget about all those people who aren't even members of OCDO, either! I'm sure none of their NDs are real.

Apparently there is a certain minimum post count before your stories carry any weight. I'm going to start post-whoring so everyone will believe me in the future.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
openryan wrote:
So you think its all made up?
Believe nothing you read or hear without verifying it yourself unless it fits your pre-existing world view. 22 OCDO posts until an ND.
If anything, I would think the join date would be more pertinent than the number of posts, lots of people just read stuff here, and post rarely, and a number of them read as guests before signing up.

Maybe its true, maybe its not, I'd still like to hear more about how it happened...

BTW did you check out his webpage...?

How many ND's am I allowed?:p