• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Manassas man arrested on federal weapons charges

vrwmiller

imported post

Associated Press - December 20, 2007 10:25 PM ET

MANASSAS, Va. (AP) - A Manassas man has been arrested and charged with keeping and selling machine guns and other unregistered weapons.

Federal prosecutors in Alexandria say 41-year-old Christopher Compton was arrested today without incident.

Undercover agents with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives say they purchased four unregistered machine guns from Compton in April at his previous home in Ashburn. Compton allegedly told the undercover agents he had manufactured and converted the weapons.

Again this month, undercover agents say they met Compton at his home in Manassas and purchased two unregistered machine guns, an unregistered short barrel rifle and an unregistered silencer.

Source

Neplusultra

imported post

vrwmiller wrote:

MANASSAS, Va. (AP) - A Manassas man has been arrested and charged with keeping and selling machine guns and other unregistered weapons.

Federal prosecutors in Alexandria say 41-year-old Christopher Compton was arrested today without incident.

Undercover agents with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives say they purchased four unregistered machine guns from Compton in April at his previous home in Ashburn. Compton allegedly told the undercover agents he had manufactured and converted the weapons.

Again this month, undercover agents say they met Compton at his home in Manassas and purchased two unregistered machine guns, an unregistered short barrel rifle and an unregistered silencer.

Source

Shows you how easy it is to convert a gun. The real control in my opinion will be with the ammunition. It's getting pretty hard to find .223/5.56 in quantities.

LEO 229

imported post

What is the punishment?? 10 years and $250,000 per violation????

He is so screwed!!

doug23838

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

He is so screwed!!

well, yes, ...once he drops the soap. :)

I'll bet he didn't have a VSP green card for those machine guns either....

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Why are we automatically accepting information from Federal prosecutors coming to us via mainstream media channels?

We've all heard about BATF shenanigans.

I'll put more faith in it once I hear a guilty verdict that isn't preceded by months of blogs that present evidenceBATF altered the parts, changed the receiver, entrapped the guy, etc., etc.

If anything we need to take this as analert that the Feds have seized a citizen and probably personal property.And we keep a real close eye that the Fedsaren't up to monkey business.

Renegade

imported post

Lucky he did not try to sell a shotgun with a barrel 1/4" shorter then some arbitrary limit. If so and his wife happened to step out the front door holding their baby she would most likely have been shot.

If some intruder shot their dog and their 14-year old son ran out to investigate - he would have been shot and killed also.

Thanks BATF for protecting the rights of Americans at Ruby Ridge. We will never forget you and neither will God.

mobeewan

imported post

Renegade wrote:
Lucky he did not try to sell a shotgun with a barrel 1/4" shorter then some arbitrary limit. If so and his wife happened to step out the front door holding their baby she would most likely have been shot.

If some intruder shot their dog and their 14-year old son ran out to investigate - he would have been shot and killed also.

Thanks BATF for protecting the rights of Americans at Ruby Ridge. We will never forget you and neither will God.
You forgot to also thank the FBI and Federal Marshalls. Weavers son was killed by a federal marshall. His wife was killed by an FBI sniper.

LEO 229

imported post

doug23838 wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

He is so screwed!!

well, yes, ...once he drops the soap. :)

I'll bet he didn't have a VSP green card for those machine guns either....

This is true!!

He is double screwed... eww!!!

nova

imported post

*sarcasm* yeah well if the BATFE hadn't have tried to buy the guns from him, he wouldn't have broken as many federal laws!!! */sarcasm*

either way, I don't like it one bit, from any point of view. I don't like the BATFE, but I also don't like people who break laws, no matter how unconstitutional they may be...this is virginia, a suppressor or SBR isn't that hard to get, legally! :)

Toad

Founder's Club Member
imported post

From a constitutional view, laws prohibiting possession of guns are illegal. I tend to believe that the man in question has broken no valid law and the BATFU is the guilty party for forcing compliance of an illegal law.
But it doesn't matter what I believe since I do not have paramilitary teams available to me to enforce the Constitution.

sccrref

imported post

Toad wrote:
From a constitutional view, laws prohibiting possession of guns are illegal. I tend to believe that the man in question has broken no valid law and the BATFU is the guilty party for forcing compliance of an illegal law.
But it doesn't matter what I believe since I do not have paramilitary teams available to me to enforce the Constitution.
The OP does not say he was arrested for having the MGs. He was arrested for selling the unregistered MGs on a coulpe of occassions. All this is if you believe the BATF. Now if the laws requiring the MGs to be registered is unconstitutional, then he might have a wisp of a chance of getting out of this.

LEO 229

imported post

I agree that banning or restricting any type of gun sucks.... There are some real p'erty guns out there.....

But these are the laws that were created or backed by the people WE voted into office. Since it against the law... we have to abide by it or work on getting them repealed.

Licensed establishments can lawfully make MGs... This guy was making them and selling them did not report it to the ATF. I do not care for the ATF all that much.... But there are doing their job.

Point being.... they are there to catch people doing this very activity.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
SNIP But there are doing their job.

I think part of the problem is that there is plenty of evidence that they are doing way more than their job, to the point of open hostility to gun owners and gun rights.BATFE has significantly damaged credibility and loss of respect in the 2A world.

Of course, the moonshine world has had a sour opinion of themfor ages, and would love to seethem mashed.

I'm not surehow they areviewed in the tobacco world, but I suspectthere are some that would want to seeBATFE smoked in Congress.

The explosives industrymight have some complaints that could blow up if they got inthe press.

(Sorry, couldn't help it. :) )

hsmith

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
I agree that banning or restricting any type of gun sucks.... There are some real p'erty guns out there.....

But these are the laws that were created or backed by the people WE voted into office. Since it against the law... we have to abide by it or work on getting them repealed.

Licensed establishments can lawfully make MGs... This guy was making them and selling them did not report it to the ATF. I do not care for the ATF all that much.... But there are doing their job.

Point being.... they are there to catch people doing this very activity.
I don't remember voting for the people that passed these laws in the 30's, 60's or 80's. I was only able to vote in the year 2000.

That whole "we voted for the people that made these laws" thing really doesn't work ;)

LEO 229

imported post

hsmith wrote:
I don't remember voting for the people that passed these laws in the 30's, 60's or 80's. I was only able to vote in the year 2000.

That whole "we voted for the people that made these laws" thing really doesn't work ;)
You have narrowed your focus young grasshoppa'

We the people.... :p

But unfortunately we younger people will have to suffer for the mistakes of our elders...

RU98A

Campaign Veteran
imported post

vrwmiller wrote:

Source

But, the ATF lets the Albany, NY police dept violate the law byordering full automatic weapons and letting their employees have them. Some have turned up in Texas and other states but no charges are filed. All but five have been located.

ufcfanvt

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
hsmith wrote:

You have narrowed your focus young grasshoppa'

We the people.... :p

But unfortunately we younger people will have to suffer for the mistakes of our elders...
LEO 229, I don't often agree w/ you, but I think you were right the first time.
WE vote for those who make new laws whether they concern new subjects or old ones. We could repeal the Machine Gun taxes and restrictions if we chose to.
Hopefully, after a successful Supreme Court case or two, getting more people to take responsibility for their own defense, a change or 10 in the news media, and electing some new Reps in State and US Congress, we will finally get what we deserve. :lol:

LEO 229

imported post

I know some other departments have tried the same thing.

The officers would pay the cost and try to keep them when they retire only to find out that this was not allowed.

You mentioned that the ATF allowed NY to do it.. Can you please provide a cite for this?

I cannot believe even the AFT would do that form all the information I have seen in the past.