• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ankle holster w/boots

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I'm going out tonight to get me a pair of western boots. I've been trying to figure out how to carry a BUG in the boot, but the only thing I can think of is an ankle holster. I don't know how that would work, though. Do any of you have experience carrying a BUG in a western style boot?

Also, if you want to throw in a suggestion for a good boot knife, I'd appreciate it. I've found a few, but the sheath usually usesa metal clip, which I don't think I'd want to put on leather..

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Well I got my boots tonight, but I'm not allowed to wear them until x-mas :D. They're Justin Brand Harness Boots. I'm thinking that the only way I could carry a BUG with these boots is if I had an "ankle" holster that actually rode high up on my thigh, so that the holster was right inside the top of the boot. Anyone have any ideas with that?

As far as the boot knife is concerned, I'm seen a nice S&W one on another thread, and gerber makes a real nice one. I know the gerber has a metal clip, and I think the S&W does, too. I don't want that digging into the leather of my boot. Anyone have any suggestions in that category?

imperialism2024

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Well I got my boots tonight, but I'm not allowed to wear them until x-mas :D. They're Justin Brand Harness Boots. I'm thinking that the only way I could carry a BUG with these boots is if I had an "ankle" holster that actually rode high up on my thigh, so that the holster was right inside the top of the boot. Anyone have any ideas with that?

As far as the boot knife is concerned, I'm seen a nice S&W one on another thread, and gerber makes a real nice one. I know the gerber has a metal clip, and I think the S&W does, too. I don't want that digging into the leather of my boot. Anyone have any suggestions in that category?
This might be a little too redneck of a solution to the latter problem but... how about just attaching a piece of thin foam to the inside of the metal clip so that the metal does not directly contact the leather?

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
This might be a little too redneck of a solution to the latter problem but... how about just attaching a piece of thin foam to the inside of the metal clip so that the metal does not directly contact the leather?

Well if worse comes to worse I might have to think about padding the clip. I'd probably get some black high-density foam (like a thin shoe insert) and cut it to the shape of the clip then glue it on. Same theory, just not so redneck :p.

As far as a knife goes, may just go with a CIA letter opener. Avoiding all the sales mumbo-jumbo, it's basically a knife made completely of fiber-glass type stuff. It's not razor sharp, but it can cut a rope in a pinch and will stab like the best of them.

Ciab.jpg

Would I try to sneak it through a metal detector? Probably not. Could I? Yep. There's no metal on the thing. Now there's more practical applications than just that, though. It's non-conductive, and non-magnetic, so it could come in handy when a metal knife might not. I'd also be more comfortable having this in my boot than I would a metal knife. Less chance of accidentally slicing my leg. The only thing is that this knife doesn't come with a sheath. Instead, it simple has a clip on the other side of the handle. Not sure if it'd be safe to just leave in my boot like that. Might have to get a sheath separately.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Woohoo so I found what I'm gettin'. Anybody know what a skean dhu is? It's galic for "black knife", aka the little boot knife one traditionally wears in their sock whilst wearing a kilt. Cold steel makes a non-metallic version:

CS-92FSDsmall.gif

Now from what I can tell, this one still doesn't come with a sheath, so I'm not sure what I'm gonna do about that. I may just buy the steel version and use the sheath that it comes with, however I'm afraid the sheath may have metal in it, which would kinda defeat the purpose. Another huge benefit of non-metallic knives is that they're absolutely weather proof. Having a knife in my boot, I'm sure there will be moisture down there. Anyway here's the steel version:

CS-11SDSsmall.gif
csstoreonline_1979_18938967

Anybody familiar with this knife and know if the sheath has metal anywhere on it? I'm especially concerned about the clip, since I don't want it digging into my boot.

spurrit

imported post

The best way to carry a boot knife is to have a sheath built into the tops. You can have a pair of boots made for around $200, if you shop around, depending on what you want. I have a mexican guy here locally that will build them for about $150.

ChinChin

imported post

DreQo wrote:

First off, +1 BAZILLION GAZILLION for the Justin Harness boots. I've had 4 pairs in the last 5 years, and the only reason they wear out so fast is that I wear them everywhere. Seriously, I've fallen asleep with them on they are THAT comfortable.

They also look real good on Mrs. ChinChin with nothing else on but a smile. . .but i digress.

I've worn a S&W hammerless .38 in an ankle holster with my J's in the past (pair #4 I think) and after a while you'll start to notice the imprint of the gun showing up in the leather, not unlike "ring around the condom" with your wallet. I had to use a nylon rig with my frame as opposed to a harder leather rig to avoid it digging into my shin when I walked around. Your slacks or jeans will hide the "ring around the Wesson", but I'm the kind of neat nick who doesn't like his boots marred in that way.
I’ve heard tell of a custom boot maker in the Vienna/Fairfax area who devised a way to attach a holster to the rim of the boot and make it both seamless and comfortable, but have yet to discover who this clever person is.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

ChinChin wrote:
DreQo wrote:

First off, +1 BAZILLION GAZILLION for the Justin Harness boots. I've had 4 pairs in the last 5 years, and the only reason they wear out so fast is that I wear them everywhere. Seriously, I've fallen asleep with them on they are THAT comfortable.

They also look real good on Mrs. ChinChin with nothing else on but a smile. . .but i digress.

I've worn a S&W hammerless .38 in an ankle holster with my J's in the past (pair #4 I think) and after a while you'll start to notice the imprint of the gun showing up in the leather, not unlike "ring around the condom" with your wallet. I had to use a nylon rig with my frame as opposed to a harder leather rig to avoid it digging into my shin when I walked around. Your slacks or jeans will hide the "ring around the Wesson", but I'm the kind of neat nick who doesn't like his boots marred in that way.
I’ve heard tell of a custom boot maker in the Vienna/Fairfax area who devised a way to attach a holster to the rim of the boot and make it both seamless and comfortable, but have yet to discover who this clever person is.

Good word, and I'm glad to hear praise on my choice of boots. A few people have told me that their experience with Justin's has been less than desirable, for every bad comment I've heard 3-4 good ones. I ended up choosing them after comparing a lot of different harness boots at a very well stocked western boot store. A lot of the other brands had much thinner leather, that I knew wouldn't comfortably support a knife w/o sagging.

I had a heck of a time finding a size that fit, though. 11's felt a little loose, 10.5 were too tight. Normally I wear 11 or 11E (wide). The owner ended up suggesting I try a pair of insoles that they sold. That added enough thickness under my foot to tighten the 11's up, so he didn't charge me for the inserts. Good man :). They still felt a lot different from what I'm used to wearing (laced tactical shoe-boot thingies). Do they feel better once they break in?

spurrit

imported post

Justin Boot company sold a few years back, and their boots just feel wierd now, compared to how they used to. If you're not used to the old ones, it shouldn't bug you. I think their sizing is off too, btw.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

spurrit wrote:
Justin Boot company sold a few years back, and their boots just feel wierd now, compared to how they used to. If you're not used to the old ones, it shouldn't bug you. I think their sizing is off too, btw.

Well hopefully the ones I got will fit well. I've been harassing the woman but she just wont let me so much as look at them until x-mas morning. Talk about torture. I'm sure if for some reason they end up not fitting right, though, the store I bought them from will work with me....I hope, lol.