• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

knives

Thors_Mitersaw

imported post

Does Virginias state preemption apply only to firearms? Where is the exact statute for the preemption? According to the law I link to below, I would assume, by state law, that a knife on my side, so long as not concealed, is legal. If these are nto also preempted are there county laws pertaining to blades?

considering this familiar law:
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308
Is it therefore illegalfor my nerdy friendto walk around with a sword-cane?

:quirky

Seems it would classify as either a concealed dirk or machette.

Thundar

imported post

You question begs a more significant question. Do 2A rights only apply to firearms or do they also apply to swords, cutlasses, knives and dirks?

LEO 229

imported post

Maybe the second amendment only applies to weapons other than firearms.

mobeewan

imported post

"firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof"

Could also apply to bayonettes since they could be considered as a component of a firearm, but so can a grenade launcher made to attach to a firearm, so I'm not 100 percent sure about bayonettes. Maybe the guys thinking about the Tidewater OC for rifles in another thread can add those too so they can bring even more negative attention to themselves.:uhoh: A grenade launcher could be a "firearm" by itself. I don't own one yet so I don't know for sure.

§ 15.2-915. Control of firearms; applicability to authorities and local governmental agencies.
A. No locality shall adopt or enforce any ordinance, resolution or motion, as permitted by § 15.2-1425, and no agent of such locality shall take any administrative action, governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying, storage or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof other than those expressly authorized by statute. For purposes of this section, a statute that does not refer to firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, shall not be construed to provide express authorization.
Nothing in this section shall prohibit a locality from adopting workplace rules relating to terms and conditions of employment of the workforce. Nothing in this section shall prohibit a law-enforcement officer, as defined in § 9.1-101 from acting within the scope of his duties.
The provisions of this section applicable to a locality shall also apply to any authority or to a local governmental entity, including a department or agency, but not including any local or regional jail or juvenile detention facility.
B. Any local ordinance, resolution or motion adopted prior to the effective date of this act governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, other than those expressly authorized by statute, is invalid.
(1987, c. 629, § 15.1-29.15; 1988, c. 392; 1997, cc. 550, 587; 2002, c. 484; 2003, c. 943; 2004, cc. 837, 923.)

LEO 229

imported post

Thundar wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Maybe the second amendment only applies to weapons other than firearms.

:DLEO 229, Are you from D.C or Chicago???

Your sense of humor is sharp.;)
Thank you sir! I worked in DC for a few years.. Must have picked it up there. ;)

Ghettokracker71

imported post

I used to OC a larger fixed blade knife in a seath all the time. Had one LEO ask me to put it in the car at Commonwealth 20 (movie theatre),but he was very polite.

LEO 229

imported post

I see no need for a large knife in an urban area.. Small pocket knife for cutting is all I need.

I am not jumping on the backs of bears to hunt them with my knife... I have a gun for that!! :lol:

Ghettokracker71

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
I see no need for a large knife in an urban area.. Small pocket knife for cutting is all I need.

I am not jumping on the backs of bears to hunt them with my knife... I have a gun for that!! :lol:
Hahah I never said it was the smartest thing in the world:lol:

LEO 229

imported post

Ghettokracker71 wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

Hahah I never said it was the smartest thing in the world:lol:
Should have said you needed it for wittlin' wood.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

Why not self defense? It may not be what you or I would choose but if someone wants to tote a KABAR or wakizashi or Kukri, I believe they have the right to bear those arms.

LEO 229

imported post

longwatch wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

Why not self defense? It may not be what you or I would choose but if someone wants to tote a KABAR or wakizashi or Kukri, I believe they have the right to bear those arms.
Your kidding, right?

You are the guy they talk about who brought a knife to a gun fight. :lol:

longwatch

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
longwatch wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

Your kidding, right?

Learn to read.

LEO 229

imported post

longwatch wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
longwatch wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

Your kidding, right?

Learn to read.
Please clarify your comment. I find it inappropriate. :uhoh:

As the moderator, you are supposed to moderate and not belittle the members.

dude

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
longwatch wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

Your kidding, right?

Not to start a debate on the differences between knives and guns and which is better, but consider this: a knife will never run out of ammo, nor will it ever jam.

Does that mean I recommend bringing a knife to a gun fight? Not really, but what it does mean is that each is a tool and each has different strengths and weaknesses.

There may be situations where a knife is a more handy tool. As such, I think questions about their legality are fair game and in the interest of this community.

LEO 229

imported post

Lou_Sanderson wrote:
Not to start a debate on the differences between knives and guns and which is better, but consider this: a knife will never run out of ammo, nor will it ever jam.

Does that mean I recommend bringing a knife to a gun fight? Not really, but what it does mean is that each is a tool and each has different strengths and weaknesses.

There may be situations where a knife is a more handy tool. As such, I think questions about their legality are fair game and in the interest of this community.

Here is what I am thinking....

Back in the day we used to fist fight to solve our problems....

So for those that did not fight that well decided to carry a knife to balance things out.

Is a knife a weapon? Duh!! Yes!! Deadly? Oh... it can be!

But then people decided they needed to combat others with knivesor able to fight back so they nowthey carrya GUN!!!

So if you think your going to carry a knife to fight with.... think twice about who you are likely to actually be fighting...

Youwill likely be "the guy." You know.... bringing a knife to.... you get it.

Now if you cannot carry anything else... sure.. take a knife with you. Better to have something to use.

This is why I was "joking" with LW but then he felt it necessary to belittle me instead of moderate. He has lost his sense of humor I guess. I guess he disabled smile faces and did not see my laughter. :lol: <---- laughing icon here

dude

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Lou_Sanderson wrote:

Here is what I am thinking....

Back in the day we used to fist fight to solve our problems....

So for those that did not fight that well decided to carry a knife to balance things out.

Is a knife a weapon? Duh!! Yes!! Deadly? Oh... it can be!

But then people decided they needed to combat others with knivesor able to fight back so they nowthey carrya GUN!!!

So if you think your going to carry a knife to fight with.... think twice about who you are likely to actually be fighting...

Youwill likely be "the guy." You know.... bringing a knife to.... you get it.

Now if you cannot carry anything else... sure.. take a knife with you. Better to have something to use.

This is why I was "joking" with LW but then he felt it necessary to belittle me instead of moderate. He has lost his sense of humor I guess. I guess he disabled smile faces and did not see my laughter. :lol: <---- laughing icon here

Ok, ok, whatever, whatever.

I guess I just think the "dont bring a gun to a knife fight" piece of advise that pops up EVERY time knives are discussed, while true in a literal sense, is a gross oversimplification.

If I knew I was going to encounter an any weapon-involved fight, I have to think it would be better to just not show up in the first place.

longwatch

imported post

LEO 229 felt it neccessary to belittle me for something I did not even say, and gets all huffy about me telling him to reread what I actually wrote. Hmm.

For the record I am fully in favor of not bringing a knife to a gun fight, but there are people who may choose for whatever reason to carry a knife for self defense and I think that it should be their right.

eyesopened

imported post

You'd be suprised the few people that even carry a knife on a daily basis so having a knife can be a huge advantage. Also, what's the number of people with CHPs in VA? I bet it's a small percentage of the poplulation in VA right? So having a knife and having to pull it out in a fight could be a fight stopper if that other person statistically does not have a concealed firearm. And if a person is OC, would you start a physical fight with them?