• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

knives

LEO 229

imported post

longwatch wrote:
LEO 229 felt it neccessary to belittle me for something I did not even say, and gets all huffy about me telling him to reread what I actually wrote. Hmm.

For the record I am fully in favor of not bringing a knife to a gun fight, but there are people who may choose for whatever reason to carry a knife for self defense and I think that it should be their right.
First off LW I was kidding... Hence the smile face.It was OBVIOUS that YOU did not say you would do it.I figured that since you and I did not have any problems you would have figured that out without too much difficulty. I guess not. :?

Secondly... you are here to moderate. You should be setting the example and correcting US when we belittle others needlessly.

Instead.... You FAILED to request clarification to determine if there was some type of misunderstanding. You then chose to attack 'as a moderator'withpower here to do so much more to us regular members.

This makes you a dirty moderator. Who will police the the dirty moderators? Mike?

For the record.. I carry a knife every day. It is not intended as a primary weapon but more a tool. Anything could be a weapon.

The joke I was making was just that... Someone bringing a knife to a gun fight.

I respectfully suggest you correct yourself before you go correcting us.

Is the Moderator creed... "Do as I say.. not as I do!" Because you can always fall back onto rule #5

cREbralFIX

imported post

Knives are extremely dangerous and are very lethal.

Guns are not the answer to every tactical problem, though we (as in gun people) have been told otherwise.

In a VERY close encounter, going for a *holstered* gun is probably the wrong action. It depends upon what the goblin is doing. If he has a knife in his hands, you'll need to fend off his attacks until you get the opportunity to deploy a knife or gun. This is difficult and requires some training to do successfully. It also requires a good to excellent level of physical fitness to maintain for a short period of time. If the goblin is not showing his hand(s), then you need to keep your eye on that hand/arm and prepare to disrupt the goblin's draw. This is very important to do because it gives you the initiative. If you can pin his arm (due to your positioning), then it may be useful to do so...but the goblin gets a say in this, so be prepared to dish out some serious force to his face and neck. If you see the elbow come back (past his back/kidney), he's drawing something with that hand. Don't be afaid to kick the goblin away from you to create distance and time to deploy a weapon.

Obviously, there's a lot more to it and text is inadequate for properly describing the techniques.

I highly recommend you attend an AMOK! seminar with Tom Sotis (or similar). You will learn that a knife is just as deadly as a handgun and that it can be the superior weapon in close quarters fighting. This is, of course, situational, but I certainly recommend that all OC/CCW'ers carry (and train with) at least a folding knife.

Thundar

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
longwatch wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
I see no need for a large knife in an urban area.. Small pocket knife for cutting is all I need.

I am not jumping on the backs of bears to hunt them with my knife... I have a gun for that!! :lol:
Why not self defense? It may not be what you or I would choose but if someone wants to tote a KABAR or wakizashi or Kukri, I believe they have the right to bear those arms.
Your kidding, right?

You are the guy they talk about who brought a knife to a gun fight. :lol:
Why is this an either or decision? - gun or knife - I have a better solution.....

I love my Yugo SKS. When I open carry it I can bring a gun, a knife (awesome bayonet) and a grenade launcher to a gun fight! Keep your options open, thats what I say.;)

Lthrnck

imported post

Now LEO,

What are you going to do if that bear does a Musitsu roundhouse kick on you and kicks your gun out of your hand. Your gonna have to go to you BUG or your BUK (Back-up Knife). Because when the bear gets done with the Musitsu roundhouse kick, the next obvious move is the Wats a Matsu Bear Hug and if he get that applied you'll be looking over to the Refand will begiving the submission sign.:celebrate:what:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

The best self defense weapon in the world is the one you have with you. I almost always have a 45/70 in the truck. It's not worth a darn when I'm two blocks away. I don't always carry a handgun but I do always carry a knife.

A knife and a gun are indeed tools. I use my knife every day and I have used my handgun once in my lifetime.

As far as fighting knives...I don't have much use for them. I studied martial arts for many years and when I taught self defense classes, I told the students to save their money. They were developed in a different culture and a different day.

BUT...For the person who is in a life and death circumstance, and they are willing to use rather than threaten to use it, a knife is a viable defense.

About 10 years ago I was at a park and ride picking up my car. As usual, there was a
group of teenagers drinking beer. One fellow who it turned out had just finished Marine Basic, was drunk and really pushing his luck. He went up to one of the group and started pushing and explaining how he was a killing machine:lol: anyway...the kid he was pushing pulled a smallish lockblade and opened his stomach from side to side. Fight over. No threats, no proper stance just a quick cut!:celebrate

The Marine nearly died....hopefully he got a little more training when he recovered.:lol:

dude

imported post

eyesopened wrote:
You'd be suprised the few people that even carry a knife on a daily basis so having a knife can be a huge advantage. Also, what's the number of people with CHPs in VA? I bet it's a small percentage of the poplulation in VA right? So having a knife and having to pull it out in a fight could be a fight stopper if that other person statistically does not have a concealed firearm. And if a person is OC, would you start a physical fight with them?
I hear what you are saying and I get your point, however I would add that I think the hope - often times the premis even - for this community is that the CHP holders are not the ones you have to worry about.

Ghettokracker71

imported post

Yep,never without my trusted folders (weak side,and strong side.) ,even at work,...

Speaking of,I need to get a matching Spyderco for my weak side,I love my edura 4 wave opener:D