• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need to find the best price online for a Bi-Tone xD 45 4" model.

cut_cutta

imported post

Unfortunatly, I was very stupid earlier this week and inadvertantly forgot my pistol inside my car for the night. The car was locked and the gun was hidden out of sight, so I didn't break the law or anything, but I still felt very stupid for forgetting my pistol in the car overnight.

Long story short, I live in a very crime free neighborhood, but apparently not so much anymore. At first I thought nothing was stolen; I didn't think I had left my pistol in the car, because that is something I NEVER do. I realized my work cell phone was stolen, and then a couple days later, I came to the realization that I had left the pistol in there as well. Thankfully, Skagit County Sheriff's office was very easy to deal with, and didn't make me feel bad or accuse me of breaking any laws or anything.

Alas, no use crying over spilt milk. The good side of the situation is that the pistol was a cheap Hi-Point C9 i had picked up for around $100, and I had been putting off buying a nicer weapon. The Hi-Point really wasn't a bad gun, for what it was.... but on the other hand, money isn't even real, and so it shouldnt be taken into account when comparing something as important as a life saving tool. I will probably buy another C9 as a backup weapon, but for right now I'm ready to take a big step up and buy a quality peice of craftsmanship.

I have been debating between whether my next purchase will be a Glock, 1911 variant, or xD 45 for some time now. I hear that 1911s are good guns, and great collector peices, but just can't compare to the reliability of new polymer pistols. I found the grip on Glock .45s to be a little wide, and I dont really like the angle of the handle. That gives the xD a little step up, as well as the grip safety. Really the only people that I've heard say they prefer Glocks over an xD, don't really have a reason other than they like Glocks in general, or that springfield doesnt offer parts for sale.

Then, the debate thickens: I now have to choose between all of the models of .45 caliber xDs. It's kind of a hard choice between the compact 4" model, and the service 4" model, because the compact can have the longer 13 rd. magazines as well as the shorter 10 rounders. However, I really like the looks of the bi-tone 4" service, so I think I'll have to go for that.

Enough rambling, I'll get to the real point of this post. I need to find the cheapest price on the internet for xD 45 bi-tone 4" service models that are in stock, and I would also like to hear any debate you might have on whether it really would be a better idea to get the compact xD over the service model, or even whether the tactical model is really far superior. Also, if there are any big pro's and cons of the bi-tone model. However, I really DON'T need to hear about how stupid and irresponsible I was about leaving my Hi-Point in my car overnight, or about how crappy those guns are to start with (they really aren't a bad gun, just not the best).

Thank you far more experienced guys for any help you guys can give me, and I'm sorry for including so much unnecesary information...

FightingGlock19

imported post

from what I've heard of the gun guys I know & train with, XD's have magazine issues (as soon as the least bit of dirt gets in 'em they fail to feed). I've personally run two different Glock 19's thru courses (1,000 round & 500 round courses) and have had zero issues no matter how much dirt, mud, or grime was put thru the gun.

If you're dead set on a .45, and think the Glock 21's "too wide," then try the Glock 30.

gator

imported post

FightingGlock19 wrote:
from what I've heard of the gun guys I know & train with, XD's have magazine issues (as soon as the least bit of dirt gets in 'em they fail to feed). I've personally run two different Glock 19's thru courses (1,000 round & 500 round courses) and have had zero issues no matter how much dirt, mud, or grime was put thru the gun.

If you're dead set on a .45, and think the Glock 21's "too wide," then try the Glock 30.
Incorrect info. I have 3 XD's with over 16,000 rounds through them and their mags. I have not detailed the mags yet and have not had any FTF's. Two .45's and a 9mm and I'd trust them and their partsat the range in a gunfight or combat.:celebrate

XD40coyote

imported post

I haven't heard of any feed issues like that as being some standard thing- a few guys at the XD forums did say they had some mag problems, but simply bending some little part solved it- most therereported no problems at all. From what I understand the Glocks and XD's are both well built and take abuse. Many people like the way the XD feels in the hand, complaining that Glocks seem uncomfy. Some like the extra safety feature( grip safety)and the longer trigger pull of the XD which is also part of the trigger safety feature ( feels like dbl action, but is really single). Lastly, there is nothing sexier than a bi-tone XD LOL

The mags on my XD 40 are fine, haven't had many issues at all with feed, a few FTF per hundred rounds and I am told its due to the gun not being fully broken in yet. Last time out, fired 100 rounds and NO ftf's that time.

There were dirt and toughness tests done on XD's like the Glock tests, and the XD passed all sorts of dirt and cruddings and even being tossed loaded off a 100 foot cliff ( did not go off either). Basically both are well built and comparable.

XD is very accurate too, so if you are a good shooter you should get nice groups even at 25 yards.

One of these days I am going to try a Glock out, a customer of mine who lives nearby has one, says a full size .40, didn't know model #. I asked if he wanted to come by one day- he could try my XD, I could try his Glock. He already said the XD fit his hand better LOL

I also showed the XD to a lady customer who used to have a Glock and she liked the XD better already LOL- I told her to go rent one at this one range/shop that does walk in rentals, and see if she liked it. She was interested in the 9mm, not the .40, so I didn't offer for her to try mine out.

RU98A

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have heard from some gun guys, sisters, boyfriends brothers, uncles, bartenders, gardner that he Glocks have a habit of just going off by themselves.

eyesopened

imported post

Like you stated, the XD45 Compact is two guns in one. With the 10rd mag, it's easier to conceal because of the shorter grip. If you want to OC and don't mind the extra grip length, then you can use the 13rd magazine with the sleeve and it feels just like the Service model. The compact can use the regular 13rd magazine, it just needs the grip sleeve ($10). You can get away with not using the grip sleeve, just be careful inserting the magazine.

I honestly didn't like the glocks in 45. The grips were huge compared to the XD45. I'm assuming Glock had to do that because of the polymer magazines they utilize. The XDs use metal magazines so they can get away with a slimmer grip. I too have not heard of any rampant magazine issues with the XDs. I've got about 2k rounds through mine and I've never cleaned out any of the magazines (though I don't drop them in mud, sand etc.) That torture test that unrequitedposted was one of the things that swayed me to the XD.

If you want to get a bitone in the compact, good luck. I hear they don't make them that way right now. The service model can be had in a bitone though. You could always get the Compact and have the slide treated.

AbNo

imported post

Full-size XD-40 Service (4") model here. Had it for about a year. Actually, had it for a year as of today! :celebrate

As far as prefering the Glocks vs XDs, I find my XD has a better point-angle, or whatever it is called. Granted, this is just me, and I'm sure some other Guy might come in here and cry bloody murder for suggesting some other model is better than a Glock, but it's been my experience.

As far as dirty magazine causing FTF's, I drop my mags just about everytime I go to the range, specifically when I'm practicing my "Oh s:cuss:!" reload.

The only FTF's I've noticed were right after I received it, which was not only before it was broken in (I think it maybe had 200 rounds through it), but it had also been sitting in poor storage conditions for several months.

I WILL say this much, you will get a 100% FTE with CCI shot shells, but that's due to the shot-shells having insufficient charge to cycle the action. ;)

Other than that, I've been quite pleased with this retooled HS2000. :)

HMDGLOCK

imported post

Actually I can help you out with this question, because I justgot the service xd-40 bi-tone three days ago. It shoots great and looks great but if you want to conceal it can be problem. I gets a little uncomfortable when sitting down because of the long grip. I love to OC with it, because the holster it comes with is great. I do own a glock 19 too. So cant say what I like better yet. They both shoot wonderful. The glock is a better concealed weapon and the xd is a better OC weapon. I think the xd compact would be a good concealed gun with the 10 round clip and a good OC gun with 13 round clip. That kinda kills two birds with one stone. I got my xd on sale for $512 originally $569at cabela's. No matter if you choose the service or compact I think you are going to get a great gun.

cut_cutta

imported post

woohoo! I ordered the 4" service bi-tone xd-45 for $499 from gilberts guns. I ordered it just a week ago, and today I was able to go to the pawn shop i had it shipped to and pick it up!! What an awesome gun!

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Congratulations! I love my XD45 compact. Hope your luck is as good as mine has been (2,000+ rds, no FTF, no FTE, magazines dropped frequently often on sandy soil).

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

I have also put over 2000 rounds through my XD Compact. The only FTF/FTE I've ever had was with some really shitty really cheap ammo I got at wal mart.

AbNo

imported post

vmathis12019 wrote:
I have also put over 2000 rounds through my XD Compact.  The only FTF/FTE I've ever had was with some really shitty really cheap ammo I got at wal mart. 

What kind was it? I've been using WWB all year with no problems.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

Winchester 230 gr. FMJs

The casings were the problem as they had some damage to them when I ejected them. Out of a box of 100 rds, I believe I had two FTFs though, so I figure it was just a problem with the manufacturing end, as I loaded up some Wolf ammo and it performed flawlessly.

AbNo

imported post

I put 9x18, 9x19, .40, and .45 of these down range all the time, with no real problems. Sounds like you may have picked up a bad or mishandled batch.

wally1120

imported post

I have a Springfield XD Compact 45 ACP and love it to death, I also have a Glock 17 and I love that one just as much. They both have things over each other, But it is a completly different Firearm. But I have worked around the Disadvantages with both, and have come to love both of them. I like the XD more for the Looks, It is a lot sexier looking then the Glock, But I think the Glock would be able to have more things thrown at it and still perform over the XD. I have certain feelings about both of them, But I love both of them the same.

I would however NOT recommend the Glock 45`s to ANYONE, Due to the fact of have Un - Supported chambers. A 9x19 is fine, Dosen`thave to much pressure on the cases from firing to make the Firearm go KB. A 45 with a Un - Supported Chamber is a very scary thing, You will have the Gun ina couple piecesthat AREN`Tsupposed to come off of you gun after a while.