• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Alaska OC Log

akhunter3

imported post

Ok guys, I started a OC log so we can 'map out' the state to some extent, and get a idea of where others have OC'd, where it is encouraged/discouraged, and what places have yet to be explored on the OC topic area. Please help add to the list and we'll see if we can't make a type of 'OC guide' for folks who are new to OC/the area.

So far I have OC'd in ....

WALMART

FRED MEYERS/FM GAS

TITLEWAVE BOOKS

SOCCER LOCKER

Haven't had any responses to my OC as of yet, positive or negetive. In fact, most people seem to not notice my packing at all.:D

Jon

spyderdude

imported post

I'll add a few places that I've OCd at

No problem places,

Sears
Title Wave Books
Carrs (Muldoon & N. Lights)
Taco Bell (Muldoon)
McDonalds (Near Totem theatre and Debarr Road)
Wal-Mart (midtown)
Sportsmans Warehouse
Dennys (Dimond)

I've only had one place where there was a problem, and that was Car Care Center on Muldoon. I get home after helping my Mom take her car to them, and not even 5 minutes later they call. I'm thinking "well that was quick!" My Mom answers and I over heard her say "Yes he did take the class." and she apologized to the guy at CCC, and hung up. After that me and her had a little arguement about me carrying when I'm out with her. I told her I refuse to leave my gun at home when I go out, so she saves her breath, and I do the same. Anyway, don't bother open carrying at Car Care Center on Muldoon, you'll get the cops called on ya!

murphyslaw

State Researcher
imported post

spyderdude wrote:
I'll add a few places that I've OCd at

No problem places,

Sears
Title Wave Books
Carrs (Muldoon & N. Lights)
Taco Bell (Muldoon)
McDonalds (Near Totem theatre and Debarr Road)
Wal-Mart (midtown)
Sportsmans Warehouse
Dennys (Dimond)

I've only had one place where there was a problem, and that was Car Care Center on Muldoon. I get home after helping my Mom take her car to them, and not even 5 minutes later they call. I'm thinking "well that was quick!" My Mom answers and I over heard her say "Yes he did take the class." and she apologized to the guy at CCC, and hung up. After that me and her had a little arguement about me carrying when I'm out with her. I told her I refuse to leave my gun at home when I go out, so she saves her breath, and I do the same. Anyway, don't bother open carrying at Car Care Center on Muldoon, you'll get the cops called on ya!
Thats an easy one spyderdude. don't patronize CCC. they must not want your business by allowing to you exercise your constitutional rights.

I have OC's at

Walmart on A st
Sportsmans warehouse (both anc and valley).
Northern security and supply
Alaska safety supply
Matsu safety supply
the book store by walmart cant remember is its B&N or borders
most of the fuel stations around town.
the WellsFargo on c and fireweed.
the Northrim on C and 32nd.
Tailgates grill in the valley(there allot).

When I remember more I will post them up. so far the only people that have made a fuss are other customers and we have pleasant talks and they leave better informed of the state/federal laws.

Just an hr ago I informed a TSA screener about some BTAF/FFA laws about traveling with firearms. hey was telling me that if I had TSA locks on my gun case I would not have had to wait for them to inspect my bag, I then informed him the the use of TSA locks in that manor was against the law. He was receptive we talked for a few min. then I broke it off as having to go thew the long security lines he said he would bring it up in the next brief cause he had not heard that before and wanted to share it with everyone else.

spyderdude

imported post

I refuse to patronize them not only because they threatened to call the cops without knowing the carry laws here, but they suck at fixing imports. The shop that gets my business now is Agens Automotive on the corner of Old Seward and International Airport Road.

spyderdude

imported post

I just found out yesterday that Northway Mall is posted. If you go inside, you'll find a list of rules, and I think its the 5th or 6th one down, it says something along the lines of...

No concealed firearms or weapons, except for authorized security guards, and law enforcement personnel.

The place is guarded by maybe one or two un-armed gaurds, but that's it.

akhunter3

imported post

I stopped in at Alaska USA FCU a few times over the last month OCing. Nobody said anything.

Kinda upset that I haven't been able to OC as much, work and school are killing me! I haven't been out to shoot in over a month!!!:banghead:

Jon

Rabid SA-XD

imported post

murphyslaw wrote:
Just another reason I dont go to malls.

Adding a good spot to the list,
Rays tackle in Wasilla. was in there last sunday. good folks.
so that means you can open carry right? as long as its not concealed?

dng

State Researcher
imported post

If only I could have the freedom of Alaska without the cold. Ohio is too cold for me, and it's beach weather here compared to Alaska. :pOh well, maybe someday I'll have to wear a couple extra layers and move up there so I can still have my guns.

Flintlock

imported post

That is just a strange situation overall.. Why would they call, or was it the police calling? There is no class requirement needed to open or conceal carry in the state of Alaska since 2003, in fact, I am not aware of there ever being a class requirement for open carry, just some legal exceptions in certain localities before pre-emption in 2003. Why would they have asked if you "took the class"?

If it was the company calling, I would have given them a little lesson in the concepts of constitutional law and the free exercise of rights.. :banghead:

spyderdude

imported post

Car Care Center called my house not even 5 minutes after I got back home. As a result of them threatening to call the cops on me, I wrote them a nice little letter saying they will no longer get my business, and also provided a copy of Alaska's carry laws.

Flintlock

imported post

spyderdude wrote:
Car Care Center called my house not even 5 minutes after I got back home. As a result of them threatening to call the cops on me, I wrote them a nice little letter saying they will no longer get my business, and also provided a copy of Alaska's carry laws.

My compliments... Seems as though our best weapon is, at times..., education.

It is unfortunate though, particularly in a location such as this, that the masses have been so brain washed as to believe that there was some form of illegality taking place by youexercising a beautifully constructed right penned by our founders.

Probably stems from the fact that high schools barely cover the constitution anymore. Back when I was in high school, we spent a couple of days on the constitution and the 50 year cold warand severalweeks covering civil rights, the civil war, assasinations, and suffrage.

Not to mention the leftist extremist media that spews communist propaganda on a daily basis.. Sorry, had to vent a little there.. :banghead:

spyderdude

imported post

I OCd at the Golden Corral buffet. I got no questions, or comments, just a few stares and double takes. We should organize an OC dinner there if anyone else likes buffets as much as I do!:celebrate

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

spyderdude wrote:
My response would have been to call them right back and tell them don't touch the car, i'll be picking it up and getting it serviced elsewhere.

spyderdude

imported post

I would have had it been my car, but it was my Mother's car. She doesn't like the idea of me walking around town with a gun on my hip, but I don't care. It is my right to do so. :)