• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC on private property in Florida

Hotshot718

imported post

gary wrote:
In some cases you do. If there is a statute that says that you can't open carry you need to find a statute stating exceptions to the rule.
Again, its in

[size="-1"]790.25 Lawful ownership, possession, and use of firearms and other weapons.--
[/size]
[size="-1"](3)LAWFUL USES.--The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:
[/size]
[size="-1"](n)A person possessing arms at his or her home or place of business

I would certainly call [/size]
[size="-1"]"it is unlawful for any person to openly carry on or about his or her person any firearm or electric weapon or device" a provision of 790.053.

it may not be crystal freakin' clear, but did you really expect the mungheads in office to spell it out for you?
[/size]

JMJ1987

imported post

cvickers wrote:
Gary,

You need to wake up and smell the coffee. This section plainly states that 790.053 and 790.06 which deal with open carry and with the States obligation to issue permits to qualified applicants, do not apply.

Are you saying that the Police have a right to tell me that I can not openly carry a gun inside my house. I never heard that interpretation during my 15 years on the job. I know that you have no way of knowing if I was an Officer or not but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Also, go into any gun shop and see how many employees carry openly.

[align=center]790.25 Lawful ownership, possession, and use of firearms and other weapons.-- [/align]
3) LAWFUL USES.--The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:

(n)A person possessing arms at his or her home or place of business;

Yep, thats true... Open carry has to be legal on your property, i doubt a gun dealer would bend the rules of the law so im going just by that. and the above advice, I have taken my trash out to the alley at night openly carrying plenty of time's. Sure there was not a cop in the alley to question it, but im sure if there had been it would not be an issue on my own property.

I'm just going buy common sence here. I guess by law i could sit on the front porch in daytime with a 12 guage on my lap sipping a cocktail ... technically. lol, although i would not put it to the test, im sure it would be quite amusing to have on video just to see what would happen.

brboyer

imported post

JMJ1987 wrote:
[snip]
I'm just going buy common sence here. I guess by law i could sit on the front porch in daytime with a 12 guage on my lap sipping a cocktail ... technically. lol, although i would not put it to the test, im sure it would be quite amusing to have on video just to see what would happen.

Just did it the other day - had a couple pistols, a rifle and shotgun that needed cleaning, and it was a rare summer day in Tampa that was not too muggy so I decided to clean them outside.

Actually had two deputy's drive by and wave. But then again this is in the free county of Hillsborough.:p

One evening a couple months ago we hada lot police activity in the area (including helicopter) , so I walked outside to see what's up. One of the deputy's stopped and explained that Pasco SO was chasing a drug dealer and he abandoned his car and took off through the woods/swamp. Well I'm on the other side of the woods/swamp and he came running through the neighborhood. The Deputy saw my Glock and actually told me "If you see this jerk, do me a favor and shoot him so we can get this over with!"

gextyr

imported post

Good to hear Hillsborough is relatively sane. I haven't had any problems in Pinellas either. I usually keep my firearms concealed even on my property, but when I go to take my trash out at night, I don't always remember to cover it up. I've never had anyone complain. I also sit in my garage with the door open (it gets hot in there with it shut) to clean my firearms since my wife hates the smell of Hoppes #9 in the kitchen.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

gextyr wrote:
Good to hear Hillsborough is relatively sane. I haven't had any problems in Pinellas either. I usually keep my firearms concealed even on my property, but when I go to take my trash out at night, I don't always remember to cover it up. I've never had anyone complain. I also sit in my garage with the door open (it gets hot in there with it shut) to clean my firearms since my wife hates the smell of Hoppes #9 in the kitchen.
Hoppes #9 is a true aphrodisiac! One of the seven greatest fragrances known to man. Use it as an aftershave and you will be able to spend more time working on your toys.

Yata hey