Thread: OC (small) video camera

Post imported post

Given the experiences I have read about here, and my own experiences, it seems one is only half armed these days without an audio/video device (or more than one).

I have been looking around for quite a while for something not too expensive, yet effective, and I believe I have found it: http://www.theflip.com/

More later, as it is dinner time!

Post imported post

To continue...

I bought it at Sam's Club on a whim for $145 (the Ultra model - higher resolution), and the video it produces is amazing given its small size (a bit larger than a cigarette pack). On a standard TV it is hard to tell the difference between the Flipand a low end video camera. It does not produce the blocky video one usually associates with mpg files.

It records to 2GB of built in memory (there are different memory sizes available) and records 1 hour at 640x480, 30 fps. It runs on 2 AA batteries, has a very small zoom capability (probably about 2.5x).

I am still working with it do test its audio capability, but even if it isn't the greatest, combined with the Olympus VN-4100PC, the result should be fine.

More when I do some more testing...

Post imported post

FYI, Rosie Odonell is endorsing them, and they are looking at sponsoring her video blog.

Post imported post

Sure, sure, whatever you say.

Now, where did I putmy little troll picture?

Post imported post

spurrit wrote:
    FYI, Rosie Odonell is endorsing them, and they are looking at sponsoring her video blog.
    What is that supposed to mean?

Post imported post

I'm wondering how you'd set up the video part to record. Somehow attach the lens to a pinhole? I mean, whereas an audio recorder just needs a pocket or something, for video you need a harness of some sort.

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
    spurrit wrote:
    That means they give her money for using and talking about their product in an appealing way, and are discussing giving her MORE money to do the same, to a larger degree.

Post imported post

spurrit wrote:
    Tomahawk wrote:
    spurrit wrote:
    That means they give her money for using and talking about their product in an appealing way, and are discussing giving her MORE money to do the same, to a larger degree.
    Cite?

State Researcher
    Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA

Post imported post

I looked at these this summer. Ended up getting the RCA small wonder.
    Takes micro-SD cards.
    We use it a lot for clips of the kids, etc. Wife always has it when we go anyplace in case I get hassled for OC

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Have you seen this one? Seems perhaps larger than you'd want to carry on a regular basis, but I can see it being mighty handy.

http://www.brookstone.com/store/prod...=Result*R1C1*T
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Post imported post

Tess wrote:
    Have you seen this one? Seems perhaps larger than you'd want to carry on a regular basis, but I can see it being mighty handy.

http://www.brookstone.com/store/prod...=Result*R1C1*T
    Stealthy

Post imported post

Strap this waterproof digital camera to your wrist and capture the action—while being part of it!
    Bang bang!
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
    I'm wondering how you'd set up the video part to record. Somehow attach the lens to a pinhole? I mean, whereas an audio recorder just needs a pocket or something, for video you need a harness of some sort.
    You're right - it would need a neck harness, but the camera comes supplied with a case you could cut a hole out of for the lens.

At this point I am not determined to have stealth, and the video cameradescribed above does a *very nice*job with picture quality. I was astounded. I like thefact thatthe lens is on the front rather than the side, making it work well for a necklace situation.

There was another one I considered (and still might try) although I don't believe the video quality is as good as the Flip - the ATC2000, by Oregon Scientific:http://www2.oregonscientific.com/sho...14&pid=709