• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC (small) video camera

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Given the experiences I have read about here, and my own experiences, it seems one is only half armed these days without an audio/video device (or more than one).

I have been looking around for quite a while for something not too expensive, yet effective, and I believe I have found it: http://www.theflip.com/

More later, as it is dinner time!

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

To continue...

I bought it at Sam's Club on a whim for $145 (the Ultra model - higher resolution), and the video it produces is amazing given its small size (a bit larger than a cigarette pack). On a standard TV it is hard to tell the difference between the Flipand a low end video camera. It does not produce the blocky video one usually associates with mpg files.

It records to 2GB of built in memory (there are different memory sizes available) and records 1 hour at 640x480, 30 fps. It runs on 2 AA batteries, has a very small zoom capability (probably about 2.5x).

I am still working with it do test its audio capability, but even if it isn't the greatest, combined with the Olympus VN-4100PC, the result should be fine.

More when I do some more testing...

spurrit

imported post

FYI, Rosie Odonell is endorsing them, and they are looking at sponsoring her video blog.

imperialism2024

imported post

I'm wondering how you'd set up the video part to record. Somehow attach the lens to a pinhole? I mean, whereas an audio recorder just needs a pocket or something, for video you need a harness of some sort.

spurrit

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
spurrit wrote:
FYI, Rosie Odonell is endorsing them, and they are looking at sponsoring her video blog.
What is that supposed to mean?

That means they give her money for using and talking about their product in an appealing way, and are discussing giving her MORE money to do the same, to a larger degree.

imperialism2024

imported post

spurrit wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
spurrit wrote:
What is that supposed to mean?

That means they give her money for using and talking about their product in an appealing way, and are discussing giving her MORE money to do the same, to a larger degree.
Cite?

:)

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
I'm wondering how you'd set up the video part to record. Somehow attach the lens to a pinhole? I mean, whereas an audio recorder just needs a pocket or something, for video you need a harness of some sort.
You're right - it would need a neck harness, but the camera comes supplied with a case you could cut a hole out of for the lens.

At this point I am not determined to have stealth, and the video cameradescribed above does a *very nice*job with picture quality. I was astounded. I like thefact thatthe lens is on the front rather than the side, making it work well for a necklace situation.

There was another one I considered (and still might try) although I don't believe the video quality is as good as the Flip - the ATC2000, by Oregon Scientific:http://www2.oregonscientific.com/shop/product.asp?cid=6&scid=14&pid=709