• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed Carry Question For The Forum

packingdressagerider

Some where in Rockbridge County, Virginia, USA
imported post

bohdi wrote:
packingdressagerider wrote:
bohdi wrote:
For what he was going to do I would have had a hard time concealing a dodad anywhere unless it was a really tiny dodad and I only have one dodad, and it's not tiny. I wasn't going to have my wife carry for me, something about her temper and firearms makes for a bad combination. Especially when wrangling the little ones in a busy place.
My doodad goes in a gunrunner pack. It is not small, and kinda heavy. Pity about your wife's temper,kids, and all.
condensed responses...

I did the risk analysis for that trip and it seemed like the odds were in my favor not to need hardware. I happened to be right. I could have gone the concealed route even after being requested not to bring in the hardware, but then I wouldn't have had any integrity - you could say who's to know. Certainly not the doctor at that point. Then again he might. I hadn't gone to visit him with any additional bags to that point, then one day I suddenly take to carrying a bag? Would seem suspicious to me if I was in his position. Could he search me at that point? Could he deny me services if he wasn't allowed to search my bag? I suppose he could, it wasn't a life and death situation that I came to see him about.

I like to OC the majority of the time. I rarely CC. It really depends on the situation. In this situation, I could have CC'd, but I might have been caught. A number of things could have happened at that point, or nothing at all. My decision not to carry at all that day revolved around the fact that I had been requested not to by an educated man who supported gun rights and my right to carry. It made him uncomfortable but not nervous. I wanted him to be neither the next time I saw him. He and I had a good conversation about why I carry the way I do, and was a little stunned that I wasn't a LEO when I met him with my gun in his office the first time. He was stunned that anyone would want to carry that way. At the end of our converstations though, he was still supportive of the 2nd amendment, still supportive of my right to carry, and is a little more educated about other people's rights.

In many way's it's a paradox. How can the good doctor be supportive if he didn't support my right to carry on the day when he was going to operate on me? He didn't kick me out the other visits that I carried, just the day when it was him, me, and the knife. In that particular situation, I'd rather him be relaxed, and have it be on his terms.

WRT my wife, she's intelligent enough to know she shouldn't have ready access to a firearm. Kudos to her, no pity involved. Some people aren't that smart. Kudo's to me for not putting her in those situations. She doesn't want to carry, I can't force her. Not to mention her job wouldn't allow her anyway. My job won't let me either. It's a risk, but there aren't really that many alternatives available to us at this point that will allow us to live the type of lifestyle we have now. Of course I'm open to suggestion :D

I think its the matter of the trip to the doctor's office, or the trip to the hospital for a test. How can you predict if you will not have any problems on the drive to those places. How will you know if you won't be met with an incident that would require that you carried? Our world is so dangerous now, and we shouldn't become so comfortable with our surroundings and forget the danger that actually exists.

I sure do not feel comfortable with open carry, especially not in this brave new world of the public freaking every time they see an eeeevil gun. I remember going to get my hair cut and seeing a cop there as pretty as you please with his duty sidearm out there in front of God and everybody. It was under his blazer, but he took that off; then I could see his badge. I didn't see any body freak at that point. There weren't too many people waiting for their turn to get their hair done. So I reckon they'd all seen him before.Then of course there was his badge clipped to his belt.

I've noticed on this board how much people are hasseled by the police over open carry. I like to be unobtrusive. I don't like to attract attention. What is it with the police not even knowing the code on open carry? Well some, I would say where I live don't even know the code on tresspassing.

Monday when I had my appointment, I waltzed in there with my fanny pack under my coat, and jacket. I looked carefully to see if there were any signs prohibiting a firearms, didn't see any (yet). Kept my coat on most of the time until I saw my doc who knows I pack. I guess my concern was that with Carillion's signs on the hospital that their reach extended to all the doctor's offices in the area.

A few years ago, in early 2001, I remember being interviewd by W&L Journalism Department about concealed carry in Rockbridge County. They had contacted the Blue Ridge Shooter's Club and wanted to talk to woman who packed. So my name came up. I was interviewed by students who didn't seem anti. I read the article they wrote which was on-line for a while. There was a blurb from a the Lexington PD Chief, and one of his officers. They seemed to think that Lexington plus the county was so safe that you didn't need a CHP. Typical, I guess. I said that a gun was a tool like a tire iron, that you never knew when you might need one, and you were always glad that you had it...in case you ever needed it. I mentioned that the purpose of CHP would be in the defense of my life, and the life of another. I wish I could remember what all else I said, but I've always been consistant about my personal advocacy, promoting gun safety, personal protection and that kind of thing.

packingdressagerider

Some where in Rockbridge County, Virginia, USA
imported post

soloban wrote:
Lou_Sanderson wrote:

:shock: HOLY CRAP! I would have loved to see the look on the cops face when his 1911 flew 3 feet across the room.

Must have been like in Star Wars Episode 5 when Darth Vader had pulled Han Solo's blaster from across the room.
Yeah, shocking to say the least!

bohdi

imported post

Since I've started carrying I've found I like to carry alot. There are times when I CC, but mostly I OC. It is a great talking point for people though some conversations may not always be pleasant. To date I haven't had one unpleasantconversation, save for my sister who just doesn't get it and wouldn't raise a finger to save her own life if threatend - I just don't get that mentality. I've not always agreed 100% with other people but I try to hear them out if they are willing to hear me out. It comes down to tolerance.

I personally don't care if people OC or CC, it's a choice. All I care about is if you carry and encourage people that can to do so, regardless of method, and to support bad laws being changed. I don't get to carry at work, I'm not about to stop working where I do because of that. I can't even carry into the parking lot, if caught I would be removed from the property and probably lose my job. So like the Dr.'s request, it's a risk. Sure, I do have a choice, I can work somewhere else or change career's to carry all the time if I wanted to. While there will always be the potential for me to need my weapon and not have it on me because of this, the risk of actually needing it to and from work, and to and from the doctors office (this particular doctor, on this particularvisit that I was without, not all the others) was infantismally small, and in the grand scheme of things are anomolies and not the norm for me. I won't do things and live in fear of what if's to prevent me from going about my activities without a firearm when the situation warrants it. Good risk analysis, planning/mitigation and situational awareness will help reduce harm on those occasions. There's a fine line between being prepared and being paranoid.

eyesopened

imported post

bohdi wrote:
To date I haven't had one unpleasantconversation, save for my sister who just doesn't get it and wouldn't raise a finger to save her own life if threatend - I just don't get that mentality.
I used to work with a girl who had the same mentality. She was deeply religious, and said that if it meant her dying or having to kill someone she would rather die. I was floored by that mentality. I'm not very religious but aren't there stories in the bible where people defend themselves from people out to do them harm (David vs Goliath)? However I tried to explain to her that there was nothing wrong with defending herself, she wouldn't have it. I gave up and figured some people you just can't get through.