Thread: online gun purchase

Post imported post

hey, ive been looking for gun legislation reguarding online purchases and I was just curious if anyone on here is knowledgable on online gun purchasing and its legality pertaining to CT and how the process goes? thank you...

Post imported post

The weapon you purchase must be transferred to you through an FFL in CT, including a NICS background check and any purchase requirements CT has in place, just like you were buying it from a CT dealer. All handguns must be transferred in this manner, per federal law, though (I believe) you may do a face-to-face transaction for a long gun, provided it is compliant with all CT laws (CT AWB, etc).

Post imported post

yes, you can buy a long gun out-of state through an ffl

Post imported post

Not through a FFL he/she will only send it back to a ct FFL. But you can buy through a private sale. In NH at a gun show last year t here were people in the hotel that was not part of the gun show selling long guns and Pistols.
    I asked the Officer that was standing at the Door way to the gun show about the practice and he told me that as long as the sale did not happen in the gun show it was legal.

Post imported post

mavcat wrote:
    hey, ive been looking for gun legislation reguarding online purchases and I was just curious if anyone on here is knowledgable on online gun purchasing and its legality pertaining to CT and how the process goes? thank you...
    Depends on what you are wanting to buy. I'm not a lawyer but I'v bought many guns online.

Any gun shipped must go to an FFL for a transfer. Most if not all the online auction sites have a list of FFL's to help you out. Some dealers will refuse to accept a gun from a private individual. Its not illegal though, just something that makes them nervous.
    Anyway you locate an FFL on your end & mail, fax or E-mail a copy of the FFL to the seller & they ship the gun to the address on the license. Then you go there, do the paperwork & pay a transfer fee set by the dealer & take posession of your gun.

Thats rifles, I'm unsure about handguns and whether they must go from FFL to FFL or if an individual can ship to an FFL directly. I'v bought them online before but always from a dealer.