• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed Carry Question

rocknsnow

imported post

I know this is for open carry but I have a questions. I turn 21 in June. I want to know if I can start the paperwork and take the class before then so I don't have to wait for like 4 months after I turn 21. Does that make sense...

UTOC-45-44

imported post

rocknsnow wrote:
I know this is for open carry but I have a questions. I turn 21 in June. I want to know if I can start the paperwork and take the class before then so I don't have to wait for like 4 months after I turn 21. Does that make sense...

I goggled "Utah concealed carry permit" and selected the 1st search and The BCI site came up. From there I clicked on "New Applicants"

*Minimum requirements for application for a concealed firearms permit in Utah are:

[align=center]

Applicant must be at least 21 years of age

•Proof of good character...whereas the applicant;

eBratt

imported post

The applicant has to be 21, but that doesn't mean that he can't take the class ahead of time and have everything else prepared. He just can't apply before his birthday.

Check on the class. The certificate they give you is only good for a certain period of time (I've been up here in Seattle too long and I can't remember if it is 3 months, 6 months, or something else). I don't think there is a restriction on the fingerprint cards, but you'd best check first.

So get everything else done and just don't sign/date and mail the thing until your birthday.

Maybe Clark can weigh in or you can make a quick call to BCI, but I'm pretty sure the prep work can be done ahead of time with no problems.

sccrref

imported post

I hope that their back log has been unjammed. It took me about 6 months to get my out of state and the in state ones were not much quicker. Like they said, have it all ready to go then sign and send it all in as a little B-Day present to yourself.

colormered

imported post

BCI processing update - BCI starts counting the "time to process" from the day the check clears or the credit card account gets charged.

My son's check cleared on Dec 6 for his permit, so we're now at 18 calendar days and counting.... So much for getting it for Christmas!

Amendment II

imported post

Hopefully our loaded carry law will change by then, so you may not need one!

What is this law and when is it suppose to take affect.

somxay4

imported post

The time between taking the class and receiving the permit was only about a month for me. But I did hand in all of the paperwork the day after I took the class. Also, I would suggest taking a class that is certified to do fingerprints and takes the "passport photo" and all of that. good luck.

rocknsnow

imported post

thanks for all the info. i will have all my paperwork (fingerprinting and passport photo) done when i go to the class. and then on my 21st b-day turn it all in.