Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car Open Carry

Post imported post

So i've searched and I thought I found this before but I can not find it anymore.

Open Carry In car must be visible. i.e center console. Does it have to be in a holster or can it just be in the open cock'd and locked sitting on the console without a holster?

I've been keeping my XD holster in my car and when i get in the car close the door i unholster and slip it into the XD holster and put it on the center console. Just wondering if I do not need to holster it or not in the car.

Post imported post

Many will tell you how they carry in the car.

Main deal is that it cannot be hidden from view from others standing at the windows looking in. (ie.. cops)

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    Many will tell you how they carry in the car.

Main deal is that it cannot be hidden from view from others standing at the windows looking in. (ie.. cops)
    Good.. thanks. Mine is. I also generally put mine in my forward cupholder in my center console for easy and quick access.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

I usually keep mine in the holster and sqeeze it in between the center console and the passenger seat. You can't miss it. And it stays pretty secure - you don't want that thing sliding or flying around in an accident.

Post imported post

Why not just OC on your waist? You're not concealing it, even though it may not be seen from the outside at first glance? If a cop comes to your driver's side window and looks in, he/she may not be able to easily see that you are OC on your right side but in fact you are. If another cop goes to the passenger side and looks in, your center console may block view of your legally OC weapon on your right side waist, but are you not still in fact legally OC? Isn't it like when you're legally OC on the street. One side, your firearm is easily seen, but if I view you from the other side I probably wouldn't know you're OC and that doesn't mean you were "concealing" your weapon.

Would not handling your loadedweapon more increase the chances of a ND? I'd say keep it in the holster on your waist, but that's just my opinion.
    § 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.

A. If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation...

Post imported post

eyesopened wrote:
    Why not just OC on your waist? You're not concealing it, even though it may not be seen from the outside at first glance? If a cop comes to your driver's side window and looks in, he/she may not be able to easily see that you are OC on your right side but in fact you are. If another cop goes to the passenger side and looks in, your center console may block view of your legally OC weapon on your right side waist, but are you not still in fact legally OC? Isn't it like when you're legally OC on the street. One side, your firearm is easily seen, but if I view you from the other side I probably wouldn't know you're OC and that doesn't mean you were "concealing" your weapon.

Would not handling your loadedweapon more increase the chances of a ND? I'd say keep it in the holster on your waist, but that's just my opinion.
    § 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.

If you wear it enough... the magazine will rub up against the leather or cloth over and over creating damage to your seat. Something to think about. I did this to my last car.

I too favor guarding that trigger by keeping it in a holster.

Post imported post

I just take the holster off (Serpa), or deholster, and put it on the front passenger seat.

If someone's sitting in the front passenger seat, they get to hold it.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

AbNo wrote:
    I just take the holster off (Serpa), or deholster, and put it on the front passenger seat.

Damn.. that is trust!!

I take mine off and stuff it in the door pocket.

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    eyesopened wrote:

If you wear it enough... the magazine will rub up against the leather or cloth over and over creating damage to your seat. Something to think about. I did this to my last car.

I too favor guarding that trigger by keeping it in a holster.
    Yeah... I was concerned about that as well since I have a M5, I ddn't think about putting it into the cup holder though a guy freaked out at the gastation when he looked in my car and saw my gun sticking into the ashtray of my center console..

Post imported post

Nice choice of superior automobile craftsmanship!!

Post imported post

yes, got it two days ago xmass present for myself.. actually company just aquired a fine automobile! But none the less new wheels People were giving funny looks all day when I step out of the M5 with a gun on my hip. Just somthing you don't see everyday.

Post imported post

True that!

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Spudstr wrote:
    yes, got it two days ago xmass present for myself.. actually company just aquired a fine automobile! But none the less new wheels People were giving funny looks all day when I step out of the M5 with a gun on my hip. Just somthing you don't see everyday.
    Now that is something I would like to see.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    AbNo wrote:

Damn..* that is trust!!

Two people ride in my car nowadays.

One's my range buddy, and the other's pretty subservient.

Post imported post

AbNo wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:
    AbNo wrote:

Damn..* that is trust!!

Two people ride in my car nowadays.

One's my range buddy, and the other's pretty subservient.
    Subservient? Someone's not getting any baked goods.

Post imported post

Post imported post

Good call. It's not wise to just place your gun on the passenger seat as it can shift during travel or go to the floor/dash in an accident. This is exactly what happened when the FBI got nailed in Maimi in '86: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_FBI_Miami_shootout (though it's not mentioned on this Wiki entry, you can find it elsewhere. Basically after being forced off the road some of the feds were unable to return fire for some time as they couldn't locate their gun).

It was also the incident that forced the Feds to abandon revolvers and go to semi-auto as they are much easier to reload with one hand (at least one cop had difficulty trying to reload after sustaining an injury to his hand)

vt357 wrote:
    I usually keep mine in the holster and sqeeze it in between the center console and the passenger seat. You can't miss it. And it stays pretty secure - you don't want that thing sliding or flying around in an accident.

Post imported post

So what's so wrong with keeping it in your holster on your belt or where ever you normally keep the holster?

Post imported post

ianto94 wrote:
    So what's so wrong with keeping it in your holster on your belt or where ever you normally keep the holster?
    That's what I usually do, though some have stated that doing so may allow the cop to say that your firearm wasn't visible (for those who carry on their right hip) and go from there. However, I don't think that rationale would hold up in court.

Another issue is one of comfort; some OCers chose to take their firearm/holster off their hip as it digs into the seat.

Post imported post

I hear you. I don't carry very often, generally only to the range and back, but it's a little bit of a pain getting in and out of the car. But I still carry on the right hip.

Post imported post

MolonLabe! wrote:
    ianto94 wrote:
    That's what I usually do, though some have stated that doing so may allow the cop to say that your firearm wasn't visible (for those who carry on their right hip) and go from there. However, I don't think that rationale would hold up in court.

Another issue is one of comfort; some OCers chose to take their firearm/holster off their hip as it digs into the seat.
    I have to agree with you there. It is true that a cop standing on the driver's side of my vehicle wouldn't be able to see my firearm in my holster. But the same is true if he's standing on my left side while I'm walking down the street as well.

From 18.2-308
    For the purpose of this section, a weapon shall be deemed to be hidden from common observation when it is observable but is of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature.
    I'd be hard pressed to believe that anyone could claim in court that a handgun in a holster on my hip, in or out of my car, is "of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature." As it is, I still haven't been able to find a single precedent in Virginia for this "standard" everyone keeps throwing around about how it has to be on your seat or the dash to not be concealed.

Post imported post

VTME, would you be willing to be the test case for that?

Post imported post

vtme_grad98 wrote:
    MolonLabe! wrote:
    ianto94 wrote:

I have to agree with you there. It is true that a cop standing on the driver's side of my vehicle wouldn't be able to see my firearm in my holster. But the same is true if he's standing on my left side while I'm walking down the street as well.

From 18.2-308
    For the purpose of this section, a weapon shall be deemed to be hidden from common observation when it is observable but is of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature.
    I'd be hard pressed to believe that anyone could claim in court that a handgun in a holster on my hip, in or out of my car, is "of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature." As it is, I still haven't been able to find a single precedent in Virginia for this "standard" everyone keeps throwing around about how it has to be on your seat or the dash to not be concealed.
    The code identifies that it must be "hidden" from common observation.

Having it on your right hip and viewable from the right side windowwould not be hidden at all. Now the officer at the left window would not be able to see it while conducting business at your window.. but you never hid the gun.

The problem would be if the gun shifted being you and the seator you have bucket seats that wrap around. If most of the gun was hidden between your body and the seat... then you could be in a little trouble.

But for me.... I do not like the wear on the seat so I stuff mine in the door pocket.

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    But for me.... I do not like the wear on the seat so I stuff mine in the door pocket.
    That would be hidden wouldn't it? Since you can't really see it from any direction except right above it.

Post imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:
    That would be hidden wouldn't it? Since you can't really see it from any direction except right above it.
    Oh My Yes.... But I have a CC permit so I can do that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast