Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34

Thread: Car Open Carry

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reston/Fairfax, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    18

    Post imported post

    So i've searched and I thought I found this before but I can not find it anymore.

    Open Carry In car must be visible. i.e center console. Does it have to be in a holster or can it just be in the open cock'd and locked sitting on the console without a holster?

    I've been keeping my XD holster in my car and when i get in the car close the door i unholster and slip it into the XD holster and put it on the center console. Just wondering if I do not need to holster it or not in the car.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    Many will tell you how they carry in the car.

    Main deal is that it cannot be hidden from view from others standing at the windows looking in. (ie.. cops)

  3. #3
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849

    Post imported post

    LEO 229 wrote:
    Many will tell you how they carry in the car.

    Main deal is that it cannot be hidden from view from others standing at the windows looking in. (ie.. cops)
    Good.. thanks. Mine is. I also generally put mine in my forward cupholder in my center console for easy and quick access.

    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  4. #4
    Regular Member vt357's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    490

    Post imported post

    I usually keep mine in the holster and sqeeze it in between the center console and the passenger seat. You can't miss it. And it stays pretty secure - you don't want that thing sliding or flying around in an accident.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NOVA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    732

    Post imported post

    Why not just OC on your waist? You're not concealing it, even though it may not be seen from the outside at first glance? If a cop comes to your driver's side window and looks in, he/she may not be able to easily see that you are OC on your right side but in fact you are. If another cop goes to the passenger side and looks in, your center console may block view of your legally OC weapon on your right side waist, but are you not still in fact legally OC? Isn't it like when you're legally OC on the street. One side, your firearm is easily seen, but if I view you from the other side I probably wouldn't know you're OC and that doesn't mean you were "concealing" your weapon.

    Would not handling your loadedweapon more increase the chances of a ND? I'd say keep it in the holster on your waist, but that's just my opinion.
    § 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.

    A. If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation...

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    eyesopened wrote:
    Why not just OC on your waist? You're not concealing it, even though it may not be seen from the outside at first glance? If a cop comes to your driver's side window and looks in, he/she may not be able to easily see that you are OC on your right side but in fact you are. If another cop goes to the passenger side and looks in, your center console may block view of your legally OC weapon on your right side waist, but are you not still in fact legally OC? Isn't it like when you're legally OC on the street. One side, your firearm is easily seen, but if I view you from the other side I probably wouldn't know you're OC and that doesn't mean you were "concealing" your weapon.

    Would not handling your loadedweapon more increase the chances of a ND? I'd say keep it in the holster on your waist, but that's just my opinion.
    § 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.

    A. If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation...
    If you wear it enough... the magazine will rub up against the leather or cloth over and over creating damage to your seat. Something to think about. I did this to my last car.

    I too favor guarding that trigger by keeping it in a holster.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    3,806

    Post imported post

    I just take the holster off (Serpa), or deholster, and put it on the front passenger seat.

    If someone's sitting in the front passenger seat, they get to hold it.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    AbNo wrote:
    I just take the holster off (Serpa), or deholster, and put it on the front passenger seat.

    If someone's sitting in the front passenger seat, they get to hold it.
    Damn.. that is trust!!

    I take mine off and stuff it in the door pocket.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reston/Fairfax, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    18

    Post imported post

    LEO 229 wrote:
    eyesopened wrote:
    Why not just OC on your waist? You're not concealing it, even though it may not be seen from the outside at first glance? If a cop comes to your driver's side window and looks in, he/she may not be able to easily see that you are OC on your right side but in fact you are. If another cop goes to the passenger side and looks in, your center console may block view of your legally OC weapon on your right side waist, but are you not still in fact legally OC? Isn't it like when you're legally OC on the street. One side, your firearm is easily seen, but if I view you from the other side I probably wouldn't know you're OC and that doesn't mean you were "concealing" your weapon.

    Would not handling your loadedweapon more increase the chances of a ND? I'd say keep it in the holster on your waist, but that's just my opinion.
    § 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.

    A. If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation...
    If you wear it enough... the magazine will rub up against the leather or cloth over and over creating damage to your seat. Something to think about. I did this to my last car.

    I too favor guarding that trigger by keeping it in a holster.
    Yeah... I was concerned about that as well since I have a M5, I ddn't think about putting it into the cup holder though a guy freaked out at the gastation when he looked in my car and saw my gun sticking into the ashtray of my center console..

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    Nice choice of superior automobile craftsmanship!!

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reston/Fairfax, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    18

    Post imported post

    yes, got it two days ago xmass present for myself.. actually company just aquired a fine automobile! But none the less new wheels People were giving funny looks all day when I step out of the M5 with a gun on my hip. Just somthing you don't see everyday.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    True that!

  13. #13
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849

    Post imported post

    Spudstr wrote:
    yes, got it two days ago xmass present for myself.. actually company just aquired a fine automobile! But none the less new wheels People were giving funny looks all day when I step out of the M5 with a gun on my hip. Just somthing you don't see everyday.
    Now that is something I would like to see.

    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    3,806

    Post imported post

    LEO 229 wrote:
    AbNo wrote:
    I just take the holster off (Serpa), or deholster, and put it on the front passenger seat.

    If someone's sitting in the front passenger seat, they get to hold it.
    Damn..* that is trust!!

    I take mine off and stuff it in the door pocket.
    Two people ride in my car nowadays.

    One's my range buddy, and the other's pretty subservient.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Haymarket, VA, ,
    Posts
    86

    Post imported post

    AbNo wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:
    AbNo wrote:
    I just take the holster off (Serpa), or deholster, and put it on the front passenger seat.

    If someone's sitting in the front passenger seat, they get to hold it.
    Damn..* that is trust!!

    I take mine off and stuff it in the door pocket.
    Two people ride in my car nowadays.

    One's my range buddy, and the other's pretty subservient.
    Subservient? Someone's not getting any baked goods.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    3,806

    Post imported post

    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    30

    Post imported post

    Good call. It's not wise to just place your gun on the passenger seat as it can shift during travel or go to the floor/dash in an accident. This is exactly what happened when the FBI got nailed in Maimi in '86: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_FBI_Miami_shootout (though it's not mentioned on this Wiki entry, you can find it elsewhere. Basically after being forced off the road some of the feds were unable to return fire for some time as they couldn't locate their gun).

    It was also the incident that forced the Feds to abandon revolvers and go to semi-auto as they are much easier to reload with one hand (at least one cop had difficulty trying to reload after sustaining an injury to his hand)

    vt357 wrote:
    I usually keep mine in the holster and sqeeze it in between the center console and the passenger seat. You can't miss it. And it stays pretty secure - you don't want that thing sliding or flying around in an accident.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    142

    Post imported post

    So what's so wrong with keeping it in your holster on your belt or where ever you normally keep the holster?

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    30

    Post imported post

    ianto94 wrote:
    So what's so wrong with keeping it in your holster on your belt or where ever you normally keep the holster?
    That's what I usually do, though some have stated that doing so may allow the cop to say that your firearm wasn't visible (for those who carry on their right hip) and go from there. However, I don't think that rationale would hold up in court.

    Another issue is one of comfort; some OCers chose to take their firearm/holster off their hip as it digs into the seat.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    142

    Post imported post

    I hear you. I don't carry very often, generally only to the range and back, but it's a little bit of a pain getting in and out of the car. But I still carry on the right hip.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA, ,
    Posts
    385

    Post imported post

    MolonLabe! wrote:
    ianto94 wrote:
    So what's so wrong with keeping it in your holster on your belt or where ever you normally keep the holster?
    That's what I usually do, though some have stated that doing so may allow the cop to say that your firearm wasn't visible (for those who carry on their right hip) and go from there. However, I don't think that rationale would hold up in court.

    Another issue is one of comfort; some OCers chose to take their firearm/holster off their hip as it digs into the seat.
    I have to agree with you there. It is true that a cop standing on the driver's side of my vehicle wouldn't be able to see my firearm in my holster. But the same is true if he's standing on my left side while I'm walking down the street as well.


    From 18.2-308
    For the purpose of this section, a weapon shall be deemed to be hidden from common observation when it is observable but is of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature.
    I'd be hard pressed to believe that anyone could claim in court that a handgun in a holster on my hip, in or out of my car, is "of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature." As it is, I still haven't been able to find a single precedent in Virginia for this "standard" everyone keeps throwing around about how it has to be on your seat or the dash to not be concealed.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    3,806

    Post imported post

    VTME, would you be willing to be the test case for that?
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    vtme_grad98 wrote:
    MolonLabe! wrote:
    ianto94 wrote:
    So what's so wrong with keeping it in your holster on your belt or where ever you normally keep the holster?
    That's what I usually do, though some have stated that doing so may allow the cop to say that your firearm wasn't visible (for those who carry on their right hip) and go from there. However, I don't think that rationale would hold up in court.

    Another issue is one of comfort; some OCers chose to take their firearm/holster off their hip as it digs into the seat.
    I have to agree with you there. It is true that a cop standing on the driver's side of my vehicle wouldn't be able to see my firearm in my holster. But the same is true if he's standing on my left side while I'm walking down the street as well.


    From 18.2-308
    For the purpose of this section, a weapon shall be deemed to be hidden from common observation when it is observable but is of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature.
    I'd be hard pressed to believe that anyone could claim in court that a handgun in a holster on my hip, in or out of my car, is "of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature." As it is, I still haven't been able to find a single precedent in Virginia for this "standard" everyone keeps throwing around about how it has to be on your seat or the dash to not be concealed.
    The code identifies that it must be "hidden" from common observation.

    Having it on your right hip and viewable from the right side windowwould not be hidden at all. Now the officer at the left window would not be able to see it while conducting business at your window.. but you never hid the gun.

    The problem would be if the gun shifted being you and the seator you have bucket seats that wrap around. If most of the gun was hidden between your body and the seat... then you could be in a little trouble.

    But for me.... I do not like the wear on the seat so I stuff mine in the door pocket.

  24. #24
    Regular Member Neplusultra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Christiansburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,228

    Post imported post

    LEO 229 wrote:
    But for me.... I do not like the wear on the seat so I stuff mine in the door pocket.
    That would be hidden wouldn't it? Since you can't really see it from any direction except right above it.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    Neplusultra wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:
    But for me.... I do not like the wear on the seat so I stuff mine in the door pocket.
    That would be hidden wouldn't it? Since you can't really see it from any direction except right above it.
    Oh My Yes.... But I have a CC permit so I can do that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •