• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Car Open Carry

vtme_grad98

imported post

MolonLabe! wrote:
ianto94 wrote:
So what's so wrong with keeping it in your holster on your belt or where ever you normally keep the holster?
That's what I usually do, though some have stated that doing so may allow the cop to say that your firearm wasn't visible (for those who carry on their right hip) and go from there. However, I don't think that rationale would hold up in court.

Another issue is one of comfort; some OCers chose to take their firearm/holster off their hip as it digs into the seat.
I have to agree with you there. It is true that a cop standing on the driver's side of my vehicle wouldn't be able to see my firearm in my holster. But the same is true if he's standing on my left side while I'm walking down the street as well.

From 18.2-308
For the purpose of this section, a weapon shall be deemed to be hidden from common observation when it is observable but is of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature.
I'd be hard pressed to believe that anyone could claim in court that a handgun in a holster on my hip, in or out of my car, is "of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature." As it is, I still haven't been able to find a single precedent in Virginia for this "standard" everyone keeps throwing around about how it has to be on your seat or the dash to not be concealed.

LEO 229

imported post

vtme_grad98 wrote:
MolonLabe! wrote:
ianto94 wrote:
So what's so wrong with keeping it in your holster on your belt or where ever you normally keep the holster?
That's what I usually do, though some have stated that doing so may allow the cop to say that your firearm wasn't visible (for those who carry on their right hip) and go from there. However, I don't think that rationale would hold up in court.

Another issue is one of comfort; some OCers chose to take their firearm/holster off their hip as it digs into the seat.
I have to agree with you there. It is true that a cop standing on the driver's side of my vehicle wouldn't be able to see my firearm in my holster. But the same is true if he's standing on my left side while I'm walking down the street as well.

From 18.2-308
For the purpose of this section, a weapon shall be deemed to be hidden from common observation when it is observable but is of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature.
I'd be hard pressed to believe that anyone could claim in court that a handgun in a holster on my hip, in or out of my car, is "of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature." As it is, I still haven't been able to find a single precedent in Virginia for this "standard" everyone keeps throwing around about how it has to be on your seat or the dash to not be concealed.
The code identifies that it must be "hidden" from common observation.

Having it on your right hip and viewable from the right side windowwould not be hidden at all. Now the officer at the left window would not be able to see it while conducting business at your window.. but you never hid the gun.

The problem would be if the gun shifted being you and the seator you have bucket seats that wrap around. If most of the gun was hidden between your body and the seat... then you could be in a little trouble.

But for me.... I do not like the wear on the seat so I stuff mine in the door pocket.

LEO 229

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
But for me.... I do not like the wear on the seat so I stuff mine in the door pocket.

That would be hidden wouldn't it? Since you can't really see it from any direction except right above it.
Oh My Yes.... But I have a CC permit so I can do that.

vtme_grad98

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

The problem would be if the gun shifted being you and the seator you have bucket seats that wrap around. If most of the gun was hidden between your body and the seat... then you could be in a little trouble.

Now that I've started carrying my 1911 when I OC instead of my Glock 26, I'm starting to reconsider how I carry in my car. I probably wouldn't have thought about it at all if you hadn't mentioned in one of these posts about the possibility of the frame rubbing a hole in the upholstery.

eyesopened

imported post

vaguard wrote:
If a handgun is not loaded can it be concealed in a vehicle without a permit?

If it's not loaded, it can be concealed in the trunkand "secured". No specifics on secured so firearm can be in a softcase with a $.50 lock.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+coh+18.2-308+500216
4. Any regularly enrolled member of a weapons collecting organization who is at, or going to or from, a bona fide weapons exhibition, provided that the weapons are unloaded and securely wrapped while being transported;
5. Any person carrying such weapons between his place of abode and a place of purchase or repair, provided the weapons are unloaded and securely wrapped while being transported;

nova

imported post

I remember hearing that it "can't be accessible by passengers" which ruled out gloveboxes and center consoles, even if locking.

Now, I've said it before but I'll just repeat it anyhow since it applies here too...what about us folks who don't have trunks? I have a pickup with an extended cab so when I head to the range I just put my range bag (guns in separate cases inside the bag) on either the back seat or the floor behind my seat, and hope that if I get pulled over the officer will be understanding.

DeadCenter

imported post

nova wrote:
I remember hearing that it "can't be accessible by passengers" which ruled out gloveboxes and center consoles, even if locking.

Now, I've said it before but I'll just repeat it anyhow since it applies here too...what about us folks who don't have trunks? I have a pickup with an extended cab so when I head to the range I just put my range bag (guns in separate cases inside the bag) on either the back seat or the floor behind my seat, and hope that if I get pulled over the officer will be understanding.

No CHP =

Locked and secured -- I would lock the gun cases. No trunk, no problem the cabin will do as long as the cases are secured.

Problem comes in because of concealment.

Otherwise in plain site will work.

With CHP =

Does not matter.

DC

nova

imported post

DeadCenter wrote:
nova wrote:

No CHP =

Locked and secured -- I would lock the gun cases. No trunk, no problem the cabin will do as long as the cases are secured.

Problem comes in because of concealment.

Otherwise in plain site will work.

With CHP =

Does not matter.

DC

I'll have to pick up a cheap suitcase tumbler lock to lock the gun case(s) then, until 2010 when I can get my CHP and have less 'rules' to worry about :)

When locked, the firearms must also be unloaded as well, correct?