• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Car Open Carry

Spudstr

imported post

So i've searched and I thought I found this before but I can not find it anymore.

Open Carry In car must be visible. i.e center console. Does it have to be in a holster or can it just be in the open cock'd and locked sitting on the console without a holster?

I've been keeping my XD holster in my car and when i get in the car close the door i unholster and slip it into the XD holster and put it on the center console. Just wondering if I do not need to holster it or not in the car.

LEO 229

imported post

Many will tell you how they carry in the car.

Main deal is that it cannot be hidden from view from others standing at the windows looking in. (ie.. cops)

vt357

imported post

I usually keep mine in the holster and sqeeze it in between the center console and the passenger seat. You can't miss it. And it stays pretty secure - you don't want that thing sliding or flying around in an accident.

eyesopened

imported post

Why not just OC on your waist? You're not concealing it, even though it may not be seen from the outside at first glance? If a cop comes to your driver's side window and looks in, he/she may not be able to easily see that you are OC on your right side but in fact you are. If another cop goes to the passenger side and looks in, your center console may block view of your legally OC weapon on your right side waist, but are you not still in fact legally OC? Isn't it like when you're legally OC on the street. One side, your firearm is easily seen, but if I view you from the other side I probably wouldn't know you're OC and that doesn't mean you were "concealing" your weapon.

Would not handling your loadedweapon more increase the chances of a ND? I'd say keep it in the holster on your waist, but that's just my opinion.
§ 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.

A. If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation...

LEO 229

imported post

eyesopened wrote:
Why not just OC on your waist? You're not concealing it, even though it may not be seen from the outside at first glance? If a cop comes to your driver's side window and looks in, he/she may not be able to easily see that you are OC on your right side but in fact you are. If another cop goes to the passenger side and looks in, your center console may block view of your legally OC weapon on your right side waist, but are you not still in fact legally OC? Isn't it like when you're legally OC on the street. One side, your firearm is easily seen, but if I view you from the other side I probably wouldn't know you're OC and that doesn't mean you were "concealing" your weapon.

Would not handling your loadedweapon more increase the chances of a ND? I'd say keep it in the holster on your waist, but that's just my opinion.
§ 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.

If you wear it enough... the magazine will rub up against the leather or cloth over and over creating damage to your seat. Something to think about. I did this to my last car.

I too favor guarding that trigger by keeping it in a holster.

AbNo

imported post

I just take the holster off (Serpa), or deholster, and put it on the front passenger seat.

If someone's sitting in the front passenger seat, they get to hold it. :D

LEO 229

imported post

AbNo wrote:
I just take the holster off (Serpa), or deholster, and put it on the front passenger seat.

Damn.. that is trust!!

I take mine off and stuff it in the door pocket.

Spudstr

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
eyesopened wrote:

If you wear it enough... the magazine will rub up against the leather or cloth over and over creating damage to your seat. Something to think about. I did this to my last car.

I too favor guarding that trigger by keeping it in a holster.
Yeah... I was concerned about that as well since I have a M5, I ddn't think about putting it into the cup holder though a guy freaked out at the gastation when he looked in my car and saw my gun sticking into the ashtray of my center console..

Spudstr

imported post

yes, got it two days ago xmass present for myself.. actually company just aquired a fine automobile! But none the less new wheels :) People were giving funny looks all day when I step out of the M5 with a gun on my hip. Just somthing you don't see everyday.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Spudstr wrote:
yes, got it two days ago xmass present for myself.. actually company just aquired a fine automobile! But none the less new wheels :) People were giving funny looks all day when I step out of the M5 with a gun on my hip. Just somthing you don't see everyday.
Now that is something I would like to see.

AbNo

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
AbNo wrote:

Damn..  that is trust!!

Two people ride in my car nowadays.

One's my range buddy, and the other's pretty subservient.

Kendo_Bunny

imported post

AbNo wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
AbNo wrote:

Damn..  that is trust!!

Two people ride in my car nowadays.

One's my range buddy, and the other's pretty subservient.

Subservient? Someone's not getting any baked goods. :cuss:

MolenLabe!

imported post

Good call. It's not wise to just place your gun on the passenger seat as it can shift during travel or go to the floor/dash in an accident. This is exactly what happened when the FBI got nailed in Maimi in '86: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_FBI_Miami_shootout (though it's not mentioned on this Wiki entry, you can find it elsewhere. Basically after being forced off the road some of the feds were unable to return fire for some time as they couldn't locate their gun).

It was also the incident that forced the Feds to abandon revolvers and go to semi-auto as they are much easier to reload with one hand (at least one cop had difficulty trying to reload after sustaining an injury to his hand)

vt357 wrote:
I usually keep mine in the holster and sqeeze it in between the center console and the passenger seat. You can't miss it. And it stays pretty secure - you don't want that thing sliding or flying around in an accident.

ianto94

imported post

So what's so wrong with keeping it in your holster on your belt or where ever you normally keep the holster?

MolenLabe!

imported post

ianto94 wrote:
So what's so wrong with keeping it in your holster on your belt or where ever you normally keep the holster?
That's what I usually do, though some have stated that doing so may allow the cop to say that your firearm wasn't visible (for those who carry on their right hip) and go from there. However, I don't think that rationale would hold up in court.

Another issue is one of comfort; some OCers chose to take their firearm/holster off their hip as it digs into the seat.

ianto94

imported post

I hear you. I don't carry very often, generally only to the range and back, but it's a little bit of a pain getting in and out of the car. But I still carry on the right hip.