• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry in a bar

Tyoung

imported post

I work at a local bar/night cluband am about 99% sure CC is legal in a bar so long as I am not intoxicated, but just wanted to double check.

Saint

imported post

Idaho law is almost exactly the same for firearms as it is for driving. Not while intoxicated, but otherwise you are fine. Bars are totally legal so long as you are below the legal limit.

silver nekode

imported post

I've got kind of a shoddy connection so I can't look it up right now but isn't there a law about CC in a location that has certain class of liquor permits(sale for consumption on the premesis?) I know I have seen other states with this but I thought I had seen something in Idaho too.

IndianaBoy79

imported post

Nope...no law against CC or OC in a bar or anywhere they might sell booze. Saint is right that you can't CC while "intoxicated" but Idaho law doesn't quite spell out what "intoxicated" means. The .08 thing only applies to operating a motor vehicle. From what I understand, with CC, it is up to the officer's descretion basically, and you can fight the rest in court if you didn't agree with the officer. From what I can tell though, there is no law about OC while intoxicated...but then, is that such a good idea? lol

Batx00

imported post

I have not seen bars listed as a place where firearms are prohibited. Problems arise if you decide to start drinking, then you might be violating the law. I realize this law is directed at CC but I bet in the court a judge would probably say this also applies to OC.

http://www3.state.id.us/cgi-bin/newidst?sctid=180330002B.K
It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a concealed weapon on or about his person when intoxicated or under the influence of an intoxicating drink or drug. Any violation of the provisions of this section shall be a misdemeanor.
I have not seen where there is a definition of what intoxicated is either. Only thing I know of that defines intoxicated is the legal limit is for driving.

I believe if you stay below the .08 you should be fine carrying in a bar. Otherwise leave it in your vehicle if you plan on going over the driving limit.

IndianaBoy79

imported post

I don't think a judge would apply that to OC as well...But if you were intoxicated while OCing, I'll bet they could nail you for public intoxication, disorderly conduct (drinking and guns don't mix), or disturbing the peace.

So long as your not drinking though, there is nothing to worry about carrying in the bar, concealed or open.

Personally, I don't drink much but I do enjoy a glass of wine every now and then. If I'm just eating dinner, I don't mind keeping the gun on my hip. But if I'm having a drink of any kind, I conceal. Truth is, legal or not, people don't like to see people drinking with guns. You'd do well for our movement to not drink while OCing. Take the higher road and and go the extra step to show how responsible we can be.

Marciedodge, where are you getting your info???

Allen

imported post

it is not allowed in a bar intoxicated or not.
I haven't the foggiest notion of where this comes from, but it certainly ain't Idaho! Over the years, I have carried both openly and concealed in bars and restuarants (that serve alcohol) and have never been asked or told to leave, nor been accosted by any LEO.

Nor are there any State laws that prohibit such carrying. The only statute that comes close is 18-3302B, already referenced by Batx00.

Like IndianaBoy, I don't drink much, but I do enjoy a glass of wine, now and then.