• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Clearing a firearm in public.

Agent 47

imported post

G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
I can't tell you how many times I've tried to stop someone in the middle of a draw of a LOADED handgun in the middle of my (then) crowded store, only for them to pull the mag out quickly, rack the slide and PULL THE TRIGGER, before I can get my hand on it. I've also had occasion to have a half-dozen or so loaded handguns pointed at my midsection, because people don't have enough muzzle control while they are trying to clear their gun.

Exactly!!! By my count I am at 26 loaded guns pointed at me in two years of working gun retail. It boggles my mind how people can be so stupid to think they can whip out a gun in a gun store and expect that I will not kill them. I am glad to hear it doesn't just happen to me, and people don't understand why I get so pissed off at them for pointing a loaded gun at me. I am sad to say cops and military are the worst when it comes to this and it scares the crap out of me to witness their ignorance and apathy toward gun safety.

Agent 47

imported post

G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
I'm trying to be civil, but I'm still unaware of what your problem is with me and my posts. I'm here to discuss firearms and the legal (and reasonable) carry and use of those firearms. (My previous posts prove it.) Honestly, I want to know why I am being targeted here on a site that I thought would be useful to be a member of. I sincerely apologize for whatever I may have said to set you off. I am a reasonable person, so please be reasonable with me here and tell me what I'm doing wrong.
You didn't say anything worthy of a personal attack. Mr.45-70 falls into what we like to call the troll category. I wouldn't recommend giving his posts any more credibility than they deserve......None.

Bear 45/70

imported post

G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
Very few times in my life have I ever felt the need to clear my weapon in a commercial environment. If I'm in a gunshop and find a holster I might like, I'll either ask to see one of their 1911's, and check for fit (how much of a sweat guard it has, covers or doesn't cover the mag release, etc.). If that won't solve my curiosity, I'll either:

1) Tell one of the staff members what my intentions are and ask how THEY would like me to proceed. This puts the ball in their court, and lets them operate under a condition of control. Having been on the other side of the counter, we appreciate that. Often times I'll just hand my gun (still in it's holster) to them, after telling them its "cocked and locked, with a round chambered" and let them clear it.

2) Go out to my vehicle and come back in, carrying my UNLOADED weapon in it's holster in my hand. I'll walk straight to a staff member and hand it to them, so that they can verify that it's cleared, and what my intentions are for it.

I can't tell you how many times I've tried to stop someone in the middle of a draw of a LOADED handgun in the middle of my (then) crowded store, only for them to pull the mag out quickly, rack the slide and PULL THE TRIGGER, before I can get my hand on it. I've also had occasion to have a half-dozen or so loaded handguns pointed at my midsection, because people don't have enough muzzle control while they are trying to clear their gun.

If you're in your car, draw as normal and point it straight towards the ground, between your feet, and clear. Don't let someone see you do it, either. It has "warranted alarm" from me in the past.
Personal Attack Deleted
If that was a personal attack you guys haven't a clue as to what a personal attack is. So now it's OK for him to spout BS but it's not OK to call him on it. This place is getting as bad as the liberal sites with the censorship.
I'm trying to be civil, but I'm still unaware of what your problem is with me and my posts. I'm here to discuss firearms and the legal (and reasonable) carry and use of those firearms. (My previous posts prove it.) Honestly, I want to know why I am being targeted here on a site that I thought would be useful to be a member of. I sincerely apologize for whatever I may have said to set you off. I am a reasonable person, so please be reasonable with me here and tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I feel like you are going through life worrying about what everyone else is thinking, will think or is afraid of, etc. You need to stop worrying about the sheeple of the world and start living your life for you and howYOU think you should without fretting about what someone else thinks, fears or worrys about. Stop being civil and really say what you mean or what's on your mind.I was once told that

"TOLERANCE is a virtue possessed by those with no conviction..."

I would like you better and respect you more if you weren't so tolerant of others views that are not tolerant of you.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
I feel like you are going through life worrying about what everyone else is thinking, will think or is afraid of, etc. You need to stop worrying about the sheeple of the world and start living your life for you and howYOU think you should without fretting about what someone else thinks, fears or worrys about. Stop being civil and really say what you mean or what's on your mind.I was once told that

"TOLERANCE is a virtue possessed by those with no conviction..."

I would like you better and respect you more if you weren't so tolerant of others views that are not tolerant of you.
If I understand you correctly, you are intolerant of his tolerance of other peoples intolerance? Should he tolerate your intolerance?

You have the right to think the way you want and speak the words that express your thoughts and convictions. However, if you have that right, so does everybody else and you must tolerate them even if you think what they say is absolutely wrong.

How can you be free if your neighbor is not?

LoveMyCountry

G27

imported post

I clear my weapon in "public" everyday. I live on a military base which requires me to be in condition four at all times while on property with the gun in the truck and the ammo in the front of the car. Before entering/exiting the front gate I'll pull over to the shoulder, go to trunk and load/unload my weapon. If it is not there I generally do it in the parking lot at Target or whatever place I'm at prior to entering my vehicle. I don't do it in an obvious manner, but I guess if someone were to pay close attention to me they'd notice.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

Mainsail wrote:
Wow! Once again the topic being discussed has nothing whatsoever to do with the OP. :cry:

Sheesh.

Is there any way to "fork" a thread when the topic triggers conversation of another topic?

LoveMyCountry

amlevin

imported post

LoveMyCountry wrote:
Mainsail wrote:
Wow! Once again the topic being discussed has nothing whatsoever to do with the OP. :cry:

Sheesh.

Is there any way to "fork" a thread when the topic triggers conversation of another topic?

LoveMyCountry
Sure, just copy the last post you would like to start the new thread with to a New Topic.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Misguided Child wrote:
Or you could just "fork" the troll out in Mason county and ignore his comments.
If I'm a troll you are a major JERK!!!!! Oh wait you are a jerk already. If someone disagrees with your position they must be a troll huh? Point your troll gun else where pinhead.