• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

IN State Police

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Yeah, apparantley the emails they sent out for the written test, well some of them didn't get out cause of isp problems... so I had to go to Indianapolis to take mine since I didn't get their first email in time, cost me a 3.5 hour trip each way and about 400 miles of driving... it was in interesting experience.

I did well on the test, have to go back on Jan. 2nd.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

I went back on the 2nd of January for the Oral Examination, as well as the psychological instruments which were a staggering 495 questions long.....

I wasn't the least bit nervous going in there, and I wasn't the entire time until they called me in to do the oral interview, even when I sat down I felt fine.

The questions they asked were far from what I had prepared for and seemed very, very ill related to any type of police work, basically they were the same types of questions you would ask any old joe who applied for a job at a burger joint. They wanted it completed as fast as possible, I used 15 of the 25 minutes for my 10 questions.

You get marked off on points if you don't answer a question, and some of them I really had to think about when I had an experience that related to the question that they presented.

I think I expected it to be much more involved than it actually was, when they started asking me the questions I was just thinking --- Are you serious?!

A lot of military guys there, so I am sure they all go to the top of the line, I have done many Psych evals before, and do very well on them, I am unsure of how I did on the oral part.

I guess they started off with 6400 applicants, currently 540 remain. Supposedly we are supposed to hear something in the coming weeks.

The thing that really turns me off is the 5 year committment, and the fact that you could go anywhere in the state, I don't even know if I would accept the conditional offer of employment if it was offered, as the job I really want starts in May.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Well, I just got the email -- I made it past the orals and psych eval. step, I thought I would be happier, oh well.

I know I can complete all their physical abilities testing with ease, unfortunately my wrist is really messed up right now, and I can barley do two push ups without feeling like my bones are going to crush, I can do the push ups while holding my hand in a fist, but not flat, which is mandatory.

Regardless of that situation, I don't know if I will go or not, its this saturday in plainfield, IN.

I just feel like if I go I will just get another step closer to a 5 year contract that I will probably want to get out of down the line in less than 5 years...

Anyone have advice to share?