• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Basement firing range?

Crackajack

imported post

Hmm... a frat house. I wonder how long him and his frat brothers sat around playing backyard lawyer, discussing the legalities and loopholes of shooting the weapon.

"Well man, that could beunlawful discharging a weapon in the city limits."

"Yeah... well, I dont think it counts since this is a private residence."

"Well, I guess that makes sense."

etc....

just_a_car

imported post

Funny part?... My 1981 NRA-published Handloading book has a section about reduced loads and one reason is for your basement firing range. Essentially squib loads with wax bullets.

I could see this being some frat-guy that was originally from Montana, Wyoming, Alabama, etc... that figured since everyone was away from the U for the holidays, no one would mind. But, I would've thought he'd at least use some reduced loads. *shakes head*

There's really not enough information to fully condemn the guy, but on the whole, he looks like he was definitely in the wrong.

irfner

Campaign Veteran
imported post

As a kid growing up we used to shoot 22s in the basement at our house and in the crawl space at the neighbors. Harmless and great fun. A stray 22 round was unlikely to pass through the concret wall of the basement. As a matter of fact 22s were once considered parlor guns. Those days are long gone. Discharging a firearm in city limits will git you a pile of trouble nowdays. Although being in a basementI am not sure who he endangered or what property he distroyed. Just a bad idea in todays environment.

amlevin

imported post

irfner wrote:
As a kid growing up we used to shoot 22s in the basement at our house and in the crawl space at the neighbors. Harmless and great fun. A stray 22 round was unlikely to pass through the concret wall of the basement. As a matter of fact 22s were once considered parlor guns. Those days are long gone. Discharging a firearm in city limits will git you a pile of trouble nowdays. Although being in a basementI am not sure who he endangered or what property he distroyed. Just a bad idea in todays environment.

I was in UW ROTC in the early '60's and our rifle range was in the "crawl space" beneath the building we drilled in. 25 yards, and the targets were reset by pulling a rope. Kind of like a shilouette range. We used Mossberg Target .22's and spent a lot of hours on these before graduating to the M-1's on the KD range at Fort Lawton. This "range" was in the middle of a residential area outside the west edge of the main campus.

I can't see the difference but then again, times have changed. Not that anyone in government has gotten smarter, just time has passed.

Nitrox314

imported post

irfner wrote:
As a kid growing up we used to shoot 22s in the basement at our house and in the crawl space at the neighbors.
You shot .22's at the Neighbors???? Lol. I used to plink cans with bb's and .22 up in the woods with my moms ex-boyfriend. Lots of fun. Wonder if thats illegal now. Heck we were 20 miles fromcivilization.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

nofoa wrote:
Growing up we didn't have bb guns, so me and my brother threw rocks at each other.
Growing up, we DID have BB guns... we shot them at each other (Red Ryders... not those fancy pump up pellet guns)....lol... so stupid. Where were our parents???!!!

jonnyjeeps

imported post

Thats actually funny my brother and I used to shoot each other with bb guns and the "one pump" rule... the fun always ended when we broke skin! Funny to think about :shock:My dad taught us to shoot his 22 revolver into the wood pile in our basement!