Thread: Basement firing range?

Post imported post

I guess this guy just couldn't come up with the 10 dollar range fee.

Seattle.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/14918369/detail.html

Post imported post

Hmm... a frat house. I wonder how long him and his frat brothers sat around playing backyard lawyer, discussing the legalities and loopholes of shooting the weapon.

"Well man, that could beunlawful discharging a weapon in the city limits."

"Yeah... well, I dont think it counts since this is a private residence."

"Well, I guess that makes sense."

etc....

Post imported post

What a tool.

Post imported post

Funny part?... My 1981 NRA-published Handloading book has a section about reduced loads and one reason is for your basement firing range. Essentially squib loads with wax bullets.

I could see this being some frat-guy that was originally from Montana, Wyoming, Alabama, etc... that figured since everyone was away from the U for the holidays, no one would mind. But, I would've thought he'd at least use some reduced loads. *shakes head*

There's really not enough information to fully condemn the guy, but on the whole, he looks like he was definitely in the wrong.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

As a kid growing up we used to shoot 22s in the basement at our house and in the crawl space at the neighbors. Harmless and great fun. A stray 22 round was unlikely to pass through the concret wall of the basement. As a matter of fact 22s were once considered parlor guns. Those days are long gone. Discharging a firearm in city limits will git you a pile of trouble nowdays. Although being in a basementI am not sure who he endangered or what property he distroyed. Just a bad idea in todays environment.

Post imported post

irfner wrote:
    As a kid growing up we used to shoot 22s in the basement at our house and in the crawl space at the neighbors. Harmless and great fun. A stray 22 round was unlikely to pass through the concret wall of the basement. As a matter of fact 22s were once considered parlor guns. Those days are long gone. Discharging a firearm in city limits will git you a pile of trouble nowdays. Although being in a basementI am not sure who he endangered or what property he distroyed. Just a bad idea in todays environment.
    I was in UW ROTC in the early '60's and our rifle range was in the "crawl space" beneath the building we drilled in. 25 yards, and the targets were reset by pulling a rope. Kind of like a shilouette range. We used Mossberg Target .22's and spent a lot of hours on these before graduating to the M-1's on the KD range at Fort Lawton. This "range" was in the middle of a residential area outside the west edge of the main campus.

I can't see the difference but then again, times have changed. Not that anyone in government has gotten smarter, just time has passed.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Post imported post

nofoa wrote:
    I guess this guy just couldn't come up with the 10 dollar range fee.

Seattle.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/14918369/detail.html
    Nah, it was the gasoline that "broke his budget". Closest range(s) are miles away.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Post imported post

That sux man. Im not kidding when i say my gun range is a block away.

Post imported post

irfner wrote:
    As a kid growing up we used to shoot 22s in the basement at our house and in the crawl space at the neighbors.
    You shot .22's at the Neighbors???? Lol. I used to plink cans with bb's and .22 up in the woods with my moms ex-boyfriend. Lots of fun. Wonder if thats illegal now. Heck we were 20 miles fromcivilization.

Post imported post

Growing up we didn't have bb guns, so me and my brother threw rocks at each other.

State Researcher

Post imported post

nofoa wrote:
    Growing up we didn't have bb guns, so me and my brother threw rocks at each other.
    Growing up, we DID have BB guns... we shot them at each other (Red Ryders... not those fancy pump up pellet guns)....lol... so stupid. Where were our parents???!!!

Post imported post

Thats actually funny my brother and I used to shoot each other with bb guns and the "one pump" rule... the fun always ended when we broke skin! Funny to think about :shock:My dad taught us to shoot his 22 revolver into the wood pile in our basement!