Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Moving to NC, OC Question?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    10

    Post imported post

    I am coming from AZ to NC in January. In AZ, we do not need permits to purchase or open carry a firearm.

    When I move to NC, will I need to get a state permit to legally open carry?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,350

    Post imported post

    Nope, no need for a permit to carry openly; only concealed. There are a couple of places that you can't legally carry according to state law, though. If you take the time to read some of the posts here in the NC section, you'll find everything you need to know.

    What part of NC will you be moving to?

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    10

    Post imported post

    DreQo wrote:
    Nope, no need for a permit to carry openly; only concealed. There are a couple of places that you can't legally carry according to state law, though. If you take the time to read some of the posts here in the NC section, you'll find everything you need to know.

    What part of NC will you be moving to?

    Greenville. I was refering to the permit requried to purchase a pistol, not a concealed permit.

    Basically.. is that permit for buying a pistol required to own one legally in NC?

  4. #4
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,350

    Post imported post

    Oh I see. No, no permit of any kind is required. You don't have to provide proof that the gun is yours or anything like that. The permit to purchase is just and only that.

    Greenville isn't a bad area. I'm only about an hour from there, near Marine Corps Air Station, Cherry Point. FWIW I've also open carried in the commercial areas of Greenville a few times with no problems. Unfortunately the mall there is under new management, and they decided to put "no snub-nosed revolvers" signs on every door. Prior to that, I had even open carried in the mall w/o problems.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    10

    Post imported post

    DreQo wrote:
    Oh I see. No, no permit of any kind is required. You don't have to provide proof that the gun is yours or anything like that. The permit to purchase is just and only that.

    Greenville isn't a bad area. I'm only about an hour from there, near Marine Corps Air Station, Cherry Point. FWIW I've also open carried in the commercial areas of Greenville a few times with no problems. Unfortunately the mall there is under new management, and they decided to put "no snub-nosed revolvers" signs on every door. Prior to that, I had even open carried in the mall w/o problems.
    I lived in Jacksonville when I was in the gun club.. but then I moved to GV to go to school. Greenville is actually pretty damn bad... we had a shootout in the Ihop parking lot near my apartments.. too many fuckin thugs in Greenville.

  6. #6
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,350

    Post imported post

    redhatchbox wrote:
    DreQo wrote:
    Oh I see. No, no permit of any kind is required. You don't have to provide proof that the gun is yours or anything like that. The permit to purchase is just and only that.

    Greenville isn't a bad area. I'm only about an hour from there, near Marine Corps Air Station, Cherry Point. FWIW I've also open carried in the commercial areas of Greenville a few times with no problems. Unfortunately the mall there is under new management, and they decided to put "no snub-nosed revolvers" signs on every door. Prior to that, I had even open carried in the mall w/o problems.
    I lived in Jacksonville when I was in the gun club.. but then I moved to GV to go to school. Greenville is actually pretty damn bad... we had a shootout in the Ihop parking lot near my apartments.. too many fuckin thugs in Greenville.
    Wow, I stand corrected. After you said that, I took a moment to compare crime rates of Greenville to a couple of other cities. Chicago looks worse, butNY has better numbers than Greenville. Thats sad.

    So you've lived in the area before? How come ya don't know the laws better? :P


  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    10

    Post imported post

    DreQo wrote:
    redhatchbox wrote:
    DreQo wrote:
    Oh I see. No, no permit of any kind is required. You don't have to provide proof that the gun is yours or anything like that. The permit to purchase is just and only that.

    Greenville isn't a bad area. I'm only about an hour from there, near Marine Corps Air Station, Cherry Point. FWIW I've also open carried in the commercial areas of Greenville a few times with no problems. Unfortunately the mall there is under new management, and they decided to put "no snub-nosed revolvers" signs on every door. Prior to that, I had even open carried in the mall w/o problems.
    I lived in Jacksonville when I was in the gun club.. but then I moved to GV to go to school. Greenville is actually pretty damn bad... we had a shootout in the Ihop parking lot near my apartments.. too many fuckin thugs in Greenville.
    Wow, I stand corrected. After you said that, I took a moment to compare crime rates of Greenville to a couple of other cities. Chicago looks worse, butNY has better numbers than Greenville. Thats sad.

    So you've lived in the area before? How come ya don't know the laws better? :P
    Where did you find that info on Greenville?

  8. #8
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,350

    Post imported post

    http://www.areaconnect.com/crime/compare.htm

    It's a very useful tool sometimes. Helps you weigh out your risks.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •