• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving to NC, OC Question?

redhatchbox

imported post

I am coming from AZ to NC in January. In AZ, we do not need permits to purchase or open carry a firearm.

When I move to NC, will I need to get a state permit to legally open carry?

Thanks!

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Nope, no need for a permit to carry openly; only concealed. There are a couple of places that you can't legally carry according to state law, though. If you take the time to read some of the posts here in the NC section, you'll find everything you need to know. :)

What part of NC will you be moving to?

redhatchbox

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Nope, no need for a permit to carry openly; only concealed. There are a couple of places that you can't legally carry according to state law, though. If you take the time to read some of the posts here in the NC section, you'll find everything you need to know. :)

What part of NC will you be moving to?

Greenville. I was refering to the permit requried to purchase a pistol, not a concealed permit.

Basically.. is that permit for buying a pistol required to own one legally in NC?

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Oh I see. No, no permit of any kind is required. You don't have to provide proof that the gun is yours or anything like that. The permit to purchase is just and only that.

Greenville isn't a bad area. I'm only about an hour from there, near Marine Corps Air Station, Cherry Point. FWIW I've also open carried in the commercial areas of Greenville a few times with no problems. Unfortunately the mall there is under new management, and they decided to put "no snub-nosed revolvers" signs on every door. Prior to that, I had even open carried in the mall w/o problems.

redhatchbox

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Oh I see. No, no permit of any kind is required. You don't have to provide proof that the gun is yours or anything like that. The permit to purchase is just and only that.

Greenville isn't a bad area. I'm only about an hour from there, near Marine Corps Air Station, Cherry Point. FWIW I've also open carried in the commercial areas of Greenville a few times with no problems. Unfortunately the mall there is under new management, and they decided to put "no snub-nosed revolvers" signs on every door. Prior to that, I had even open carried in the mall w/o problems.
I lived in Jacksonville when I was in the gun club.. but then I moved to GV to go to school. Greenville is actually pretty damn bad... we had a shootout in the Ihop parking lot near my apartments.. too many fuckin thugs in Greenville. :cuss:

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

redhatchbox wrote:
DreQo wrote:

I lived in Jacksonville when I was in the gun club.. but then I moved to GV to go to school. Greenville is actually pretty damn bad... we had a shootout in the Ihop parking lot near my apartments.. too many fuckin thugs in Greenville. :cuss:
Wow, I stand corrected. After you said that, I took a moment to compare crime rates of Greenville to a couple of other cities. Chicago looks worse, butNY has better numbers than Greenville. Thats sad.

So you've lived in the area before? How come ya don't know the laws better? :p

redhatchbox

imported post

DreQo wrote:
redhatchbox wrote:
DreQo wrote:

Wow, I stand corrected. After you said that, I took a moment to compare crime rates of Greenville to a couple of other cities. Chicago looks worse, butNY has better numbers than Greenville. Thats sad.

So you've lived in the area before? How come ya don't know the laws better? :p

Where did you find that info on Greenville?