• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why you should carry in a zoo

dng

State Researcher
imported post

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/US/12/26/tiger.attack/

Investigators probe killer tiger's escape at zoo

SAN FRANCISCO, California (CNN)[/b] -- Investigators on Wednesday will try to determine how a Siberian tiger escaped from her enclosure at the San Francisco Zoo the day before, killing one zoo visitor and mauling two others.

art.tiger.victim.kgo.jpg

Emergency personnel carry a San Francisco Zoo visitor attacked by an escaped tiger away on a stretcher.

Authorities planned a thorough sweep of the grounds to look for clues they may have missed in the dark Tuesday evening, according to The Associated Press.

Police shot and killed the tiger, San Francisco Fire Department Lt. Mindy Talmadge said. The surviving victims were transported to San Francisco General Hospital, she said.

Dr. Eric Isaacs said the two injured men, ages 19 and 23, were in serious but stable condition with multiple lacerations.

"I believe there was probably some blood loss at the zoo, but here they are talking, they are alert, their vital signs are stable at this time," Isaacs said

He said that both could be released as early as Wednesday.
video.gif
Watch as the tiger's victims are rushed to the hospital »

Talmadge said authorities were notified of an escaped tiger about 15 minutes after the 78-year-old zoo's 5 p.m. PT closing time.

"Apparently right around closing time -- there was a pen with four tigers in it -- one of the tigers got out," Talmadge said. "The tiger went into a cafe at the zoo and attacked a patron. That person ended up dying at the scene."

Police arrived as the animal attacked two other patrons, Talmadge said.
"They shot the tiger, and the tiger is deceased," she said.

Talmadge said the 125-acre zoo was locked down and all the facility's other animals were accounted for, including three other tigers that had been in the same enclosure with the escaped animal.

Initially, officials feared some or all of the other tigers might have escaped but later determined they had not, Talmadge said.

The tiger that escaped, a 300-pound female named Tatiana, did not escape through an open door, Robert Jenkins, the zoo's director of animal care and conservation, told the AP.

Jenkins could not explain how the tiger got out, since the enclosure has a 15-foot moat and 20-foot walls, the AP reported.

"There was no way out through the door," Jenkins told the AP. "The animal appears to have climbed or otherwise leapt out of the enclosure."

The San Francisco Chronicle reported the tiger was the same animal that chewed the flesh off a keeper's arm in an attack last December during a public feeding demonstration.

California's Division of Occupational Safety and Health later determined that the zoo was at fault because of hazardous conditions in the Lion House, which houses the zoo's large cats, and lack of specialized safety training for employees, according to the Chronicle. The Lion House was closed for more than six months after the mauling, the paper reported, and the zoo made changes that the state safety division ordered.

Along with Siberian tigers, an endangered species, the zoo has rarer and smaller Sumatran tigers.

This is the story you show to someone if they ever give you a hard time for carrying in a zoo, where "there are tons of kids, and someone could get hurt if there was an accident". Well, there was, and not with a gun jumping out of a holster. :idea:

Thundar

imported post

Tragic event at the San Francisco Zoo. Tiger gets loose and attacks unarmed zoo patrons.

I say bring the long gunsto the zoo. Better to have one and not need it than to need it and not have one.

eyesopened

imported post

I watched this video on CNN and this was the statement from Jack Hannah when speaking of a recent tiger attack...

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2007/12/26/roberts.hanna.on.attack.cnn

I quote, "...a wild animal is like a loaded gun, it can go off at any time..."

Like any negligent discharge, there is normally an action or inaction of someone for the gun to discharge. Just like the tiger killing someone in this case, it just didn't happen there was something that led up to the tiger killing the person. The tiger like a firearm is inherently dangerous, thus you should handle them both with care. Also,people have control of a firearm but we cannot control an animal, any animal. Maybe I'm just reading too much into it...

tarzan1888

imported post

eyesopened wrote:
I quote, "...a wild animal is like a loaded gun, it can go off at any time..."

NO!:banghead:

A loaded gun is like a paw, or a tooth or a claw, but IT IS NOT LIKE A WILD ANIMAL.

It is a tool like any other tool used for a purpose.

I would NEVER have a wild animal in my home, but I have had loaded guns in my home for years and years and one has NEVER gone off and hurt anything or any one.

Tarzan

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

eyesopened wrote:
Maybe I'm just reading too much into it...

No, you're not. Statements like this perpetuate a myth that firearms are responsible for deaths. This is similar to Rush Limbaugh's SUV tirades about reports of dangerous gas guzzling SUV's roaming the countryside killing innocent motorists and passersby.

A gun cannot set itself off or target a victim- It is an inanimate object. It's no different than a rock or a stick until someone picks it up.

A tiger on the other hand, is a living breathing thing, endowed with instinct and self-determination and clawsand teeth. It is completely different than a loaded gun in every respect.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

eyesopened wrote:
I watched this video on CNN and this was the statement from Jack Hannah when speaking of a recent tiger attack...I quote, "...a wild animal is like a loaded gun, it can go off at any time..."
And to think I paid good money to go to the Columbus Zoo... Jack; a wild tiger is not predictable. A gun is. I can set a gun on a table and leave it there for 100 years, and unless someone touches it, it's never going to attack! :idea:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I don't think Hannah means it that way. But the problem is it will be perceived that way. Most people that don't know anything about guns believe guns accidentally go off all by them selves. Guns don't do anything without human intervention. Just like my car, I can push on the gas peddle all I want, but, it won't go anywhere until I put it in drive.

If Hannah said an animinal is like a loaded gun, if you provoke it, it can go off. This would be closer to the truth.

I would prefer Hannah not to use such comparison.

Send him an email at Ohio Columbus zoo.

PT111

imported post

You may be onto something. At a zoo are you more likely to be attacked by a wild animal than a wild human? The odds are low for either but not absolute. Be prepared for anything.

LEO 229

imported post

It got out same time last year and hurt people then.

Somehow got over the water, up the wall,and over the fence!!!

If you need to carry a long gun to the zoo... I suggest you stay home or take the high bus motor tour. :lol:

imperialism2024

imported post

I wonder exactly how the police response happened. Did they use a shotgun, or the standard-issue plinking handguns they usually carry? For the animal's sake, I'd hope it was the former.

To turn it around, this might be a good story for the stopping power arguments. Sure, if you need to defend yourself against a person, 9mm might be sufficient. But a large animal? Think again...

ne1

imported post

Zookeepers had to wait for the police to arrive? Why didn't they have effective animal control on site? Isn't this all too much like unarmed security guards at malls, sporting events, parades, etc., etc. ?

It has long been my philosophy that I'd rather carry it and not need it than need it and have to wait for some authority figure to finish his donut and then bring it. "When seconds count the police are only minutes away." Fortunately only three casualties occurred this time.

PT111

imported post

In one report they said that the zoo did have control measures on site (don't know exactly what they meant but I assume a gun) but failed to use it in all the chaos. Nothing like keeping your gun in your holster while watching someone get shot. :banghead::cuss:

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

PT111 wrote:
In one report they said that the zoo did have control measures on site (don't know exactly what they meant but I assume a gun) but failed to use it in all the chaos. Nothing like keeping your gun in your holster while watching someone get shot. :banghead::cuss:
Being Christmas and the end of the day, maybe the firearms qualified personnel were on vacation. This article says the zoo has "a response team that can shoot animals."

EDIT FOR CLARITY: Maybe the team only has tranquilizer guns. How long would it take to a tranquilizer to incapacitate the tiger?

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Has anyone else heard that the officers who arrived on scene found the tiger next to one of the victims, and they yelled at the tiger and did not shoot until the tiger turned towards them? Maybe I'm missing something, but don't you shoot a tiger standing of a person who has already been mauled, rather than yelling first?

Thundar

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
It got out same time last year and hurt people then.

Somehow got over the water, up the wall,and over the fence!!!

If you need to carry a long gun to the zoo... I suggest you stay home or take the high bus motor tour. :lol:
How do we know when we will "need" a long gun?