• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glock 27

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

While it's not necessarily a huge difference, I can tell you that when it comes to concealing a weapon (which is necessary in my case... being from AL) .5 inches can make a huge difference, be it in length, height, width, or any dimension. (easy on the snarky comments guys....lol). This is why I chose the G32 as my next purchase over the XD, a far superior design. The G32 is a smaller gun making it more easily concealed.

woohoo post number 400!

Carolina40

imported post

to each their own - the G27 offers more flexibility in that you can go with the in box mag (9 rounds) and add the Pearce 'pinky extension'.

you'd be hard pressed to find a more reliable / more concealable weapon anywhere.

oh - and FWIW, I shot both before buying and shot the 27 more accurately.

:)

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

DrewGunner wrote:
vmathis12019 wrote:
a far superior design.
Do explain.

For my own personal preferences, the ergonomics, the SA trigger pull, and the stainless magazines make the XD a superior design to the Glock. This may not necessarily be true for everyone, but IMO, the XDs are a more comfortable pistol to shoot.

The G32, though an excellent pistol, lacks some of the qualities I would like to have in a carry weapon.I like the grip safety on my XD, andagain, the ergonomics on the Glocks are a little uncomfortable to me.However, I didchoose this over a service XD in .357 for onereason: Size.If you want a pistolin any caliber in nearly any size, Glocks got one to fill your desire.Springfield isn't offering a gun in .357 that I can carry comfortably because of howbig they are (in AL, you must conceal or be arrested), but they are still a better design, IMO.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

vmathis12019 wrote:
While it's not necessarily a huge difference, I can tell you that when it comes to concealing a weapon (which is necessary in my case... being from AL) .5 inches can make a huge difference, be it in length, height, width, or any dimension.

I disagree. For me, the handle is the difficult part to conceal. I had a 6 1/2" 44 magnum in my pants once, but the handle gave it away, not the barrell.

vmathis12019 wrote:
woohoo post number 400!
Hey me too!

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

The grip is mainly what I was referring to. Although, a 5 in. 1911 does interfere with wallet retrieval when I carry IWB, which is why I prefer the 4 inch XD.

FightingGlock19

imported post

Carolina40 wrote:
to each their own - the G27 offers more flexibility in that you can go with the in box mag (9 rounds) and add the Pearce 'pinky extension'.
if one's going to add mag extentions to a 27, they might as well go ahead and buy the 23.

cREbralFIX

imported post

disconnect wrote:
Is $529 a good price for a new Glock 27 with nightsites?

let me know what you think please!! :)

by the way, I am female and I want something small and easy to carry that is .40 cal. Do you think a Glock 27 is a good choice?

Thank you!

Do you know how to shoot? Have you taken a gun fighting course? How often do you shoot and under what circumstances?

A Glock 27 is *probably* not a great gun to learn on. Of course, it is very possible if you have a good coach. You can mitigate some of its disadvantages, but not all of them. The primary disadvantages are the short grip (little palm support) and short sight radius. The grip can be lengthened using the A&G magazine grip adapter and a Glock 23 or Glock 22 magazine. The short sight radius can be a problem for new shooters because any wobble is exaggerated. Again, with proper coaching, this can be overcome. The third disadvantage is the sharp recoil of the 40 S&W round. This can be overcome, but you'll need to focus upon AVOIDING the development of a flinch.

If you know what you are doing, then the mini-Glocks are great for carry. I use my G26 all the time. With the A&G grip adapter, I can get 15+1 rounds of 9mm ammo in it and carry Glock 19 or 17 spares. When I need good concealment, I just switch to the short magazine.

Just be sure to shoot it frequently with the short magazine and learn the technique on how to shoot it such that you don't throw out shots wide on the target.

cREbralFIX

imported post

As for concealability, the GRIP length will affect that attribute the most. Slide length comes into play either for comfort when carrying at the appendix position (good for women and a very fast draw), under a coat, or printing at the muzzle if carried inside the pants.

I find the short grip PERFECT for CCW in the appendix position. It does not print even under a light t-shirt. The Glock 19 grip length does print, as does the 17 length grip.

g26front2.jpg

Glock 26 in www.shotist.com appendix carry holster

01010070.jpg

Glock 26 worn in the appendix position

disconnect

imported post

cREbralFIX wrote:
disconnect wrote:

by the way, I am female and I want something small and easy to carry that is .40 cal. Do you think a Glock 27 is a good choice?

Thank you!

Do you know how to shoot? Have you taken a gun fighting course? How often do you shoot and under what circumstances?

A Glock 27 is *probably* not a great gun to learn on. Of course, it is very possible if you have a good coach. You can mitigate some of its disadvantages, but not all of them. The primary disadvantages are the short grip (little palm support) and short sight radius. The grip can be lengthened using the A&G magazine grip adapter and a Glock 23 or Glock 22 magazine. The short sight radius can be a problem for new shooters because any wobble is exaggerated. Again, with proper coaching, this can be overcome. The third disadvantage is the sharp recoil of the 40 S&W round. This can be overcome, but you'll need to focus upon AVOIDING the development of a flinch.

If you know what you are doing, then the mini-Glocks are great for carry. I use my G26 all the time. With the A&G grip adapter, I can get 15+1 rounds of 9mm ammo in it and carry Glock 19 or 17 spares. When I need good concealment, I just switch to the short magazine.

Just be sure to shoot it frequently with the short magazine and learn the technique on how to shoot it such that you don't throw out shots wide on the target.

Do I know how to shoot...? Do you mean have I had personal classes in shooting weapons, or do you mean have I had training in shoot/don't shoot tactics..? Because I have had both. I have also had training with FX simunition using sigs. The first gun i shot was a Glock 23 .40 cal,after afew times shooting itI caught myself flinching... I would try to point the gun down as I was shooting to try to compensate for the recoil.. After about 100 rounds I got used to it though. I also have a Glock 17 9mm. The simunition guns we trained with were 9mm. A friend gave me a pierce grip extender for my G27, I like it... but it does not seem to really make a difference to me when I am shooting.. How do you feel about shooting you G26 with the extension and without it? I think it is better to practice shooting without the extension...

cREbralFIX

imported post

disconnect wrote:
cREbralFIX wrote:
disconnect wrote:

Thank you!

Do I know how to shoot...? Do you mean have I had personal classes in shooting weapons, or do you mean have I had training in shoot/don't shoot tactics..? Because I have had both. I have also had training with FX simunition using sigs. The first gun i shot was a Glock 23 .40 cal,after afew times shooting itI caught myself flinching... I would try to point the gun down as I was shooting to try to compensate for the recoil.. After about 100 rounds I got used to it though. I also have a Glock 17 9mm. The simunition guns we trained with were 9mm. A friend gave me a pierce grip extender for my G27, I like it... but it does not seem to really make a difference to me when I am shooting.. How do you feel about shooting you G26 with the extension and without it? I think it is better to practice shooting without the extension...
Excellent...you've had training and know what to do.

I practice frequently so I don't throw shots wide with the short magazine. I do use Massad Ayoob's "death grip" method to shoot using the short mag.

In terms of the Pierce grip extension: I see no advantage to them and the pinky support is deceptive. They do not provide palm support, which helps cause front sight movment. They extend the grip such that the gun should be a Glock 19/23/32, thereby reducing concealability.

If you place a 22 or 9mm case on the top of the slide when you dry fire, it should not fall or move. If you do that every time, your shooting will improve.

Glockster27

imported post

I think that that is a very good deal!!:) I carry a G27 daily and have no problem concealing it with or without the extensions. The recoil is very snappy but not uncontrolable by any means. If it is a 40 you want than this one is it in my opinion.

Good luckwith whatever you decide to get and carry. The only opinion that really matters is YOURS!!!

UpNorth

imported post

I have several Glocks all bought new here in Michigan. I get them NIB, all day long for $395 + tax......... Last one was to moths ago (G37)...