• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Strange OC question just for the sake of knowing...

crotalus01

imported post

Would it be legal to OC in TN with a handgun fitted with a suppressor as long as you have the carry permit and the NFA paperwork? I OC my Walther P22 on occasion and just purchased a YHM Mite suppressor for it.

I don't really think I would ever do it since 1) I would be bringingserious scrutiny on myself from any LEO thatsaw it (no need to invite conflict), and 2)holstering a firearm fitted with a suppressor would be a serious challenge. I am just curious if anyone knows the law on this subject.

Fallguy

imported post

I'll be honest' I'm not famillar with NFA paperwork period let alone as any would regard to a suppressor. However to answer your question I would say, NO unless the paperwork said you couldcarry the suppressor in public and/or use it in public.

Here is the part of the law you may be asking about.

T.C.A. 39-17-1302Prohibited weapons. —

(b) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the person's conduct:

(7) Involved acquisition or possession of a sawed-off shotgun, sawed-off rifle, machine gun or firearm silencer that is validly registered to the person under federal law in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Records. A person who acquires or possesses a firearm registered as required by this subdivision (b)(7) shall retain proof of registration

crotalus01

imported post

HeyFallguy,

as far as I can tell, it is perfectly legal to use a suppressor in public - I am assuming an open gun range or indoor range would be considered a public place - as long as you keep a copy of the NFA paperwork proving that it is properly registered (much like you have to have your permit any time you OC or CC).

At any rate, I was simply curious as to the opinions on here about legality. I really dont think it would be a good idea for the reasons stated in my OP...

crotalus01

imported post

Well, I have never OCed or CCed with the suppressor, and likely never will due to the length it puts onto the barrel as well as the posssible bad impression it would make to a jury (or DA)in a self-defence case - BUT - have you ever experienced tinnitus? It sucks. Think about having to fire your weapon in confined quarters like a car.

I once forgot to put my earplugs in at the range, and squeezed off the first round - it felt like the soundwave ricochetted off the wall directly into my right ear. I was deaf in that ear for about 20 minutes, and both my ears rang for about a week.

Obviously the last thing on my mind in an emergency that requires me to use my gun would be my hearing, but if suppressors were as common as they should be in a "free" country I wouldnt have to worry about hearing loss being a potential result of a self-defence shooting. Or a tainted jury because they all think silencers are illegal or only used by hitmen (like most of the sheeple in this country).:cuss:

At any rate I never really considered carrying silenced, just wanted opinions on the legality. I am convinced it would be perfectly legal in TN since you can hunt silenced in TN.

Magnum Researcher

imported post

Could you imagine getting in and out of your car or truck with that on the end of your gun? And the attention you would get. Thats way too much attention for me, On top of that how much did it cost? Do you really want to scratch it up! I could see it if we had zombies walking around and we were shooting all day. Most police officers go there entire life without ever shooting anyone and if they do its no more than two or three shots and its over.

WCrawford

imported post

If the silencer and threaded barrel for my handgun didn't cost close to 1.5 times as much as the handgun (not counting BATF tax), I'd get one.

Not sure if I'd carry the handgun silenced all the time. There might be difficulty in finding a holster that would allow ease of draw. Nor do I know of any possible restrictions for my carrying a legally silenced weapon as a security officer (I'll look into that if the need arises).

I would use a silencer at a range, as my ears sometimes ring afterwords when using standard hearing protection.

As long as everything is legal, go right ahead and carry silenced.

crotalus01

imported post

Magnum, I already scratched it :cuss:Oh well. Ill get over it.

And WCrawford, it depends on your caliber as to the cost. My can is for a .22, I paid $250 for it plus the $200 tax stamp. $550 for a cool plinker that doesnt cause tinitus was worth the price of admission for me. 9mm cans start at about $400 or so, and I have seen 5.56 cans for as little as $375. They are a great investment IMHO, especially in the current political climate. As are MGs (got one of those pending :celebrate), SBRS/SBSs and all other NFA. YMMV.