• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Suits and Sport Coats

cREbralFIX

imported post

I know this isn't about open carry....

I'm interested in CCWing wearing a sport coat or suit. I received a nice sport coat for Christmas, but it causes OBVIOUS PRINTING (almost OC-ing) even with a Glock 26. The spare magazines are also obvious.

Does anyone know of a tailor in the Fairfax County / NoVA area that has experience fitting suit coats for CCW?

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

honestly, unless the sport coat was unreasonably tight in the first place, it sounds to me like you have more of a holster issue than a coat issue. What are you carrying the little Glock in?

cREbralFIX

imported post

DeSantis Cozy Partner...IWB.

This is a problem with the fit of the coat, not the carry method.

I'm looking for a tailor who knows how to handle CCW.

eyesopened

imported post

Is it printing even with the sport coat not buttoned? What type of material is the sport coat? If it's a thicker material, it should not print as easily as a sport coat made of thinner material. You'll also want to ask that tailor about sewing something on the inside of the coat to prevent the gun from rubbing through the silkier inside liner.

hsmith

imported post

eyesopened wrote:
Is it printing even with the sport coat not buttoned? What type of material is the sport coat? If it's a thicker material, it should not print as easily as a sport coat made of thinner material. You'll also want to ask that tailor about sewing something on the inside of the coat to prevent the gun from rubbing through the silkier inside liner.
they might even be able to attach some more rigid material to the interior of the coat where the pistol would be to prevent the printing to appear.

cREbralFIX

imported post

I tried both a standard cotton blazer (navy blue) and my new cordoroy jacket. Both print badly due to sizing in the waist area.

Hmmm...good idea on sewing something in there. I have some very thin kydex that I can use. However, I am not sure how the chemicals used in the process will affect the plastic.

I suppose they could add a button so I can take the "plate" out before sending it to the cleaners.

hsmith

imported post

Maybe like a thicker material like Carhart's fabric. Just a patch that would cover up the print of the gun (a bit larger than it). I think that might help "mask" the printing

But I really have no idea :)

j2l3

imported post

The uniform shops here in Seattle, where all the police and fire departments get their uniforms from, have their own tailors. I recommend checking around to see where the local police get there uniforms from and call them. Since they work almost exclusively with police, security and fire... they might be able to help you out or recommend someone for you.

Neplusultra

imported post

What about wearing a shoulder harness for under the arm carry? All the G-Men have them :^).

I always wondered why the mobsters wore such baggy suits back in the day, they look rediculous (sp?) to me. I see the same with the gangsta rappers today. I realized a few years ago it was simply to make it easier to conceal a weapon(s). I'm sure that's why.

W.E.G.

imported post

You'll pay a fortune to have that coat re-tailored.

Stick with no-carry when you wear it.

You need to add about four inches to your normal coat size if you want to carry a standard size pistol and two mags. Add four more inches if you want to also carry a radio, handcuffs, and a baton. Frankly, if you're gonna carry all that stuff, something like the 5.11 vest http://www.botachtactical.com/5mecove.htmlstarts to become a necessity.

You don't get to look like Sylvester Stallone in a suit, and actually carry a gun.

pkbites

imported post

I'm not sure why this would be a problem.
I carry my Glock 26 anytime I'm wearing a suit or sportscoat.
I just carry it in the inside pocket using a Nemesis pocket holster.
I've been doing this for many years. I've yet to own a suit or sportscoat that didn't have an inner pocket. Usually they have 2, one on each side.

It fits flush inside the suit pocket. No printing or anything. It fits quite securely too. I could take the coat off and swing it over my head round & round and that holster would not fly out!

Yes it means I have to cross draw when carrying that way.
So what? Sometimes the manner of carrying has to be changed to fit what one is wearing and doing.

Neplusultra

imported post

pkbites wrote:
So what? Sometimes the manner of carrying has to be changed to fit what one is wearing and doing.
Drawing from that position is not necessarily bad anyway. After all you were just going to grab your wallet for the BG weren't you? I usually carry my waist band holster at the 4-5 o'clock positioin. You can't really see it from the front. Going for it looks like I'm going for my wallet, even though my wallet is on the other side.

pkbites

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
pkbites wrote:
Drawing from that position is not necessarily bad anyway. After all you were just going to grab your wallet for the BG weren't you? I usually carry my waist band holster at the 4-5 o'clock positioin. You can't really see it from the front. Going for it looks like I'm going for my wallet, even though my wallet is on the other side.

No, nothing wrong with cross draw. But I understand not everyone likes to carry that way or trains for it.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Just exchange thejacket for one a bit bigger. Wear the gun when trying on the new jackets.

Works for me.

Realize you won't completely avoidprinting. There is going to bea bump if you twist or bend.