Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IndianaBoy's OC Experiences

Post imported post

WIth everyone else having such great experiences with OC, I decided to go ahead and make a commitment to OC myself a day or two out of the week. Yesterday was my day off and I had a few errands to do. Went to the Money Tree in Eagle with no issues whatsoever. I was dressed nicely (slacks and a dress sweater) but she definately noticed the gun and we had a friendly conversation about me working the night shift and how her christmas was.
    Went to the US bank in Eagle right afterwards... no problems there as well. I don't think anyone even noticed it. After that, time to get some dog treats at Winco. No problems or comments there as well. I picked a friend up to go to dinner at Devinci's in Eagle...I put my coat on at this point because I generally don't feel comfortable drinking with a gun on my hip. Mind you, I was only having one glass of wine, but I don't think other patrons like the idea too much so I usually CC there. A couple hours later my friend wanted to head to Mr. Lucky's in Garden City. Not my kind of bar, so I decided to be the designated driver and not drink that night. No one in the bar seemed to mind the gun though many of them saw it. I had one guy approach me in the restroom and asked about the laws in the area and if I needed a license for that. We had a good converstation and I spent a couple hours at the bar. No problems whatsoever.

Post imported post

Not much to really brag about today. Went to Mcdonalds for lunch and received no comments. I spilled pop all over my keyboard last night so I needed to go to Walmart for a cheapo replacement. No comments there either, just a strange look from the guy working in electronics. I think he may have been approaching me to talk to me when someone else sidetracked him.
    How do all of your friends feel about your OC status, or CC for that matter? I find I'm a lot more comfortable OCing around strangers than I am around people who know me. I'm not sure if this is because I'm more worried about what they'll think or what. I'm a rather young guy and a lot of my friends are young and have the attitude that only cops should have guns or "you should cover that up, my g/f doesn't need to see that". Just curious on your thoughts.

Franklin Township, DeKalb County, Indiana, USA

Post imported post

IndianaBoy79 wrote:
    "you should cover that up, my g/f doesn't need to see that".

What was the problem? Did you forget to zip your pants?

Post imported post

LOL It was an actual comment I got from someone while at a friends house watching movies. The guy looked kinda freaked out that I had a gun on me and was so "open" about it. Seeing as how I didn't know the owner of the house well, I decided to put my sweater over it and put my coat on. I guess I still feel a little awkward with a gun on... is it me, or do people stare, point, and whisper? In public I can usually deal with this but with friends its a bit harder.

State Researcher

Post imported post

It might be that he didn't want his girlfriend to see what a real man looks like.

LoveMyCountry

Post imported post

Hey are you working tonight? I wanna stop by and introduce myself but wasn't sure what your schedule was...

Post imported post

Hey Saint, check your private messages.

If anyone else wants to come see me at work sometime, I work at a local store in Eagle. Send me a private message and I'd be happy to tell you where and when to catch me. I don't really want to post things like that on the board. Thanks!

Post imported post

PM out to you IndianaBoy.

I'd give my job 10/20 out to some of the OCDO Idaho members if they want to stop by and show some support.

Post imported post

Ok, New Years Eve ended up being a good OC day for me. I started at McDonalds as usual (I love my Big Macs) and there were several kids playing in the play area and other people in the store. No one said a word.
    Then I decided to take the dog with me to the pet store. Walked around the store for about 45 minutes while gathering stuff to buy, let several people and animals meet my dog and no one seemed to mind at all. This was the Petsmart on Eagle Road near Fairview.
    The Walmart down the street was the next stop, on Fairview, near Eagle Rd. I spent half an hour at this store and several people gave me obvious looks of disapproval. No one from the store said anything and I even asked a manager for help finding the non-alcoholic sparkling wine. Very helpful and friendly.
    After this, a friend asked me to pick him up so he could get flowers for his g/f. We went to Pedals and Stems on Fairview. Nice store if you like old country type stuff and candles. Mom would love it. The store was ran by several ladies and they were all friendly and polite. I recommend taking any flower business you have to this small privately owned store.
    All in all, great OC day. I'm taking my roommate to the Ada county sherrif's office next week to start his application process for CWL. This is where you get your driver's license too. Is it legal for me to carry there? I know that State law preempts local regulation, but I was wondering if having the jail right there played into things? Any advice? Thanks guys and gals.

Post imported post

Is it legal for me to carry there? I know that State law preempts local regulation, but I was wondering if having the jail right there played into things? Any advice? Thanks guys and gals.
    Last time I was there, I didn't see any signage in the office where the DL's are issued. The jail and juvie area is in the same compound but uses a different public entrance, so I would think you're good to go.

A phone call to the sheriff might help. You might want to be specific in your question, however. Don't ask, "is it okay to carry..." but ask, "are there any signs prohibiting carry in the DL area." Then it is either a yes or no answer and there is no opinion necessary.

I met with the captain there and one of their legal eagles a few months back and they were both friendly and professional. I'd ask him myself, but his business card is buried in some paperwork across the country. I'll look him up if someone needs me to.

Post imported post

DL area is perfectly ok to OC in. I OCed there recently when I went in to pick up an FOIAR packet. The only place you can't carry is into the courtroom or jail area

State Researcher

Post imported post

Saint's right. OC in the DL/CWP area is perfectly legal. I called just to check a few months ago (not that they really know what's up anyway) and got the "yes but why" speech. I OC'd and the only reaction I got was getting a secure door held open for me by two cops (guess they assumed I was a cop heading for that door too!).

Post imported post

Thanks, I intend to OC there this Fri when I take my roomate in for his prints. Following that thought, anyone want to PM me a phone number that can accept collect calls from the jail? LOL In all seriousness, it wouldn't be a bad idea for us to have a set person or two to call if the sh** hits the fan. With all the OCing we do and the run ins you sometimes have, it would be nice to know that at least the info got out.

State Researcher

Post imported post

You're allowed one call. Tell that person to post here. I doubt it'll go that far, even given the bad experiences I had in the past... they really don't like taking people down town... it's too much paperwork for them.

Post imported post

Went shopping at Winco today on 44 near Eagle. Nothing to report at all...

Mcdonalds twice today, the one in Eagle for lunch and the one on Chinden/Glenwood later in the evening. Got a look from the girl behind the counter, but she finished my order and I stayed for about 30 minutes. No problems.

I was curious about something one of you may be able to answer. Is the bus system in Boise privately owned, or is it a government system? Or could it even be a private company contracted out by the city to offer a public service? The reason I ask is that I wanted to OC downtown soon and planned to ride the bus around a bit. Anyone wanna join me?

Post imported post

to my knowledge, ValleyRide is the company that boise uses for its transit system.

a quote from valleyride.org:

Code:
    Q.           WHAT ARE YOUR POLICIES FOR BUS RIDERS?
    A. 						While on board the bus, we ask that you observe a few courtesies to make your bus ride easier, safer and a more pleasant experience for yourself and other passengers.
    What you cannot do:
    1). Smoke or drink alcohol
    2). Board through the rear door
    3). Refuse to pay the fare
    4). Litter
    5). Use profanity, or engage in disruptive behavior
    6). Threaten or harass the driver or other passengers
    <<<<What you cannot bring aboard:>>>>
    1). Open food or drink containers
    2). Flammables (such as gas cans)
    3). <<<<Weapons>>>>
    4). Strollers, grocery carts, etc. that are too large to fit between the rows of seats
    5). Animals (except service animals) that are not in an approved container that can fit on your lap
    What you should do:
    1). Wear shirts and shoes
    2). Listen to music only through headphones and keep the volume low enough so other riders can't hear it
    3). Remain seated while bus is in motion (when possible)
    4). Keep your feet off the seats
    5). Keep your hands, arms and head inside the bus. Do not shout out the window.
    6). Respect fellow riders - no loud talking with passengers or on your cell phone!

No refunds or replacement bus passes for purchased, lost, or stolen passes.
    sadly, i dont know if you will be able to carry openly if you plan to ride the bus, looking at policy 2.3
    downtown is small enough that you can walk most anywhere there so the bus may not be necessary, would have been a great experience though.

heres the contact info for Valley Regional Transit, the parent company for ValleyRide

Valley Regional Transit
    830 N. Main Street Ste. 230
    Meridian, ID 83642
    (208) 846-8547
    for ValleyRide concerns call
    (208) 345-RIDE (7433)

hope that helped you out indianaboy

Post imported post

Thanks for the info..here's why I ask about ownership though. Idaho has full preemption of firearm laws. If this company is contracted by the city or county, then that rule needs testing. Any of the more experienced Idahoan OCers have any comments on this?

Post imported post

IndianaBoy79 wrote:
    Idaho has full preemption of firearm laws.
    Just an FYI for folks on here... Idaho Code currently only preempts cities and counties from "regulat[ing] the lawful ownership, possession or transportation of firearms when carried or transported for purposes not prohibited by the laws of the state of Idaho."

See Idaho Code 31-872 and Idaho Code 50-343.

True, FULL preemption should be arriving shortly. Stay tuned...

Post imported post

Is that not the definition of preemption? Open carry for self defense is not prohibited by the laws of the state of Idaho.

Post imported post

While this IS a defintition of preemption that covers open carry, it doesn't apply to anything other than cities and counties... All I'm trying to offer is that private entities are not covered, nor are all publicly-funded entities in Idaho.

Best of luck with the bus situation...

Post imported post

I suppose I should add yesterdays OC experience to my log. Picked up Blackfox for the OC Shootout/Eat Out yesterday. We had breakfast at McDonalds first. While filling up my fountain drink, a gentleman walked up to fill his cup. He told me he was just getting ready to leave but had to come back in when he saw us "coming in carrying guns." I smiled and replied that there was nothing to worry about.. He said something to the effect of "well, reading the newspapers today gets you thinking about that kind of stuff." I smiled and agreed and told him that's why we carry. He nodded his head and told me to have a good day.

Cabella's was fun: no one approached me or even gave me a negative look...well, all cept the guy behind the gun counter. He looked a little suspicious but other than that, nothing really to report. I'll have to say, having guns on your hips really helped me pick out the group and find everyone!

Shootout was fun, then we headed to Smokey Mountain. I work in Eagle and know a lot of the kids who work at the local stores. Sarah, our waitress, recognized me immidiately. Everyone that worked at the restuarant was friendly and generally unconcerned about a group of armed men. A few of the customer's looked curious as to what we were doing/who we were, but no one got nervous and left to my knowledge. I'll see a lot of them at my store when I go back to work in a couple days, we'll see if we get any comments then.

I'm not sure who suggested it, but I like the idea of OCing downtown sometime. I donno, let me know what you guys think.

All in all, great day yesterday and I'm glad to see such a range of ages/personalities in our group. Everyone carried themselves well, dressed appropriately, and treated everyone with respect. I'm proud to be part of the Idaho chapter of oc.org.

Post imported post

I forgot to mention that while waiting for other OCers to show up, Sage, Blackfox and I carried into Best Buy and Petsmart. Not a single comment or even a funny look in either place.

Feeling a bit embolded, Blackfox and I decided to head out for a bit today. First stop, my usual (McDonalds of course!). Though I try to go to a different one every time. This time it was the one close to Cabella's where we met yesterday. We got several looks there from the customers and the crew. While waiting for my order at the counter, an officer got in line (Boise PD). I smiled at him and gave a respectful "nod". He nodded back and there were no words exchanged. I grabbed my tray when it was ready and went to sit down. Blackfox was at the counter alone now with the LEO. No problem with the cop at all, though Blackfox mentioned something to me about hearing someone say "If it wasn't legal he wouldn't do it".
    Next was a trip to Petsmart again to browse around and give the pup a break from the car. No problems at all, even when kids came up to play with my puppy and the adult noticed the gun. Very friendly place.
    Afterwards I went to the cop shop to look for a better belt. I disarmed before entering as I was planning on trying on belts, holsters, etc. Blackfox did not disarm. The two gentleman that served us were very helpful and assisted me in ordering a properly fit belt. OC friendly from what I can tell.
    Soon after we went to the Boise Gun Company off Chinden in Garden City. I wanted to ask someone about the fouling in my chambers and see if they could recommend a better solvent or other suggestions for cleaning it out. I left the gun on my hip, but unloaded it so it would be easy to unholster and show them without making anyone nervous. No comments before the noticed it was unloaded, and no comments when I finished talking with him, took out my speedloader and loaded the gun before reholstering it. Cramped store, but helpful, down to earth people working there.
    After this I had to drop off Blackfox and head to a meeting with a different friend. I did not OC (Dog park, lots of kids and my first time there, next time for sure).
    My final stop for the night, Subway in Eagle. The conversation with the girl at the counter went something like this:

Girl: So, are you undercover or...?
    Me: Exuse me?
    Girl: Oh, I just noticed you "packing" that gun, I thought you might be an agent of some sort.
    Me: Not at all, I just carry for self defense. Just a normal guy.
    Girl: Ok...You said turkey on wheat, right?

She seemed like an odd girl...she seems odd when I'm there WITHOUT the gun, so it was hard to judge her reaction. I think she was ok though as we went right along with the order, talked about her busy night and said goodnight to each other.

Anyways, good experiences. I'm going to stop posting in depth explainations. Instead, I'll list the places I go if they are OC friendly and will give a greater discription if the place wasn't so friendly. So far so good though.

Post imported post

OC'd at Mcdonalds and my new bank, Pioneer Federal Credit Union in Eagle. Nothing of interest to report.

Post imported post

IndianaBoy79 wrote:
    She seemed like an odd girl...she seems odd when I'm there WITHOUT the gun, so it was hard to judge her reaction. I think she was ok though as we went right along with the order, talked about her busy night and said goodnight to each other.
    Did you get her number?

Post imported post

I don't date women with kids your age.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast