• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

IndianaBoy's OC Experiences

IndianaBoy79

imported post

WIth everyone else having such great experiences with OC, I decided to go ahead and make a commitment to OC myself a day or two out of the week. Yesterday was my day off and I had a few errands to do. Went to the Money Tree in Eagle with no issues whatsoever. I was dressed nicely (slacks and a dress sweater) but she definately noticed the gun and we had a friendly conversation about me working the night shift and how her christmas was.
Went to the US bank in Eagle right afterwards... no problems there as well. I don't think anyone even noticed it. After that, time to get some dog treats at Winco. No problems or comments there as well. I picked a friend up to go to dinner at Devinci's in Eagle...I put my coat on at this point because I generally don't feel comfortable drinking with a gun on my hip. Mind you, I was only having one glass of wine, but I don't think other patrons like the idea too much so I usually CC there. A couple hours later my friend wanted to head to Mr. Lucky's in Garden City. Not my kind of bar, so I decided to be the designated driver and not drink that night. No one in the bar seemed to mind the gun though many of them saw it. I had one guy approach me in the restroom and asked about the laws in the area and if I needed a license for that. We had a good converstation and I spent a couple hours at the bar. No problems whatsoever.

IndianaBoy79

imported post

Not much to really brag about today. Went to Mcdonalds for lunch and received no comments. I spilled pop all over my keyboard last night so I needed to go to Walmart for a cheapo replacement. No comments there either, just a strange look from the guy working in electronics. I think he may have been approaching me to talk to me when someone else sidetracked him.
How do all of your friends feel about your OC status, or CC for that matter? I find I'm a lot more comfortable OCing around strangers than I am around people who know me. I'm not sure if this is because I'm more worried about what they'll think or what. I'm a rather young guy and a lot of my friends are young and have the attitude that only cops should have guns or "you should cover that up, my g/f doesn't need to see that". Just curious on your thoughts.

IndianaBoy79

imported post

LOL It was an actual comment I got from someone while at a friends house watching movies. The guy looked kinda freaked out that I had a gun on me and was so "open" about it. :) Seeing as how I didn't know the owner of the house well, I decided to put my sweater over it and put my coat on. I guess I still feel a little awkward with a gun on... is it me, or do people stare, point, and whisper? In public I can usually deal with this but with friends its a bit harder.

IndianaBoy79

imported post

Hey Saint, check your private messages.

If anyone else wants to come see me at work sometime, I work at a local store in Eagle. Send me a private message and I'd be happy to tell you where and when to catch me. I don't really want to post things like that on the board. Thanks!

bourneshooter

imported post

PM out to you IndianaBoy.

I'd give my job 10/20 out to some of the OCDO Idaho members if they want to stop by and show some support.

IndianaBoy79

imported post

Ok, New Years Eve ended up being a good OC day for me. I started at McDonalds as usual (I love my Big Macs) and there were several kids playing in the play area and other people in the store. No one said a word.
Then I decided to take the dog with me to the pet store. Walked around the store for about 45 minutes while gathering stuff to buy, let several people and animals meet my dog and no one seemed to mind at all. This was the Petsmart on Eagle Road near Fairview.
The Walmart down the street was the next stop, on Fairview, near Eagle Rd. I spent half an hour at this store and several people gave me obvious looks of disapproval. No one from the store said anything and I even asked a manager for help finding the non-alcoholic sparkling wine. Very helpful and friendly.
After this, a friend asked me to pick him up so he could get flowers for his g/f. We went to Pedals and Stems on Fairview. Nice store if you like old country type stuff and candles. Mom would love it. The store was ran by several ladies and they were all friendly and polite. I recommend taking any flower business you have to this small privately owned store.
All in all, great OC day. I'm taking my roommate to the Ada county sherrif's office next week to start his application process for CWL. This is where you get your driver's license too. Is it legal for me to carry there? I know that State law preempts local regulation, but I was wondering if having the jail right there played into things? Any advice? Thanks guys and gals.

Sage of Seattle

imported post

Is it legal for me to carry there? I know that State law preempts local regulation, but I was wondering if having the jail right there played into things? Any advice? Thanks guys and gals.

Last time I was there, I didn't see any signage in the office where the DL's are issued. The jail and juvie area is in the same compound but uses a different public entrance, so I would think you're good to go.

A phone call to the sheriff might help. You might want to be specific in your question, however. Don't ask, "is it okay to carry..." but ask, "are there any signs prohibiting carry in the DL area." Then it is either a yes or no answer and there is no opinion necessary.

I met with the captain there and one of their legal eagles a few months back and they were both friendly and professional. I'd ask him myself, but his business card is buried in some paperwork across the country. I'll look him up if someone needs me to.

Saint

imported post

DL area is perfectly ok to OC in. I OCed there recently when I went in to pick up an FOIAR packet. The only place you can't carry is into the courtroom or jail area

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

Saint's right. OC in the DL/CWP area is perfectly legal. I called just to check a few months ago (not that they really know what's up anyway) and got the "yes but why" speech. I OC'd and the only reaction I got was getting a secure door held open for me by two cops (guess they assumed I was a cop heading for that door too!). :lol:

IndianaBoy79

imported post

Thanks, I intend to OC there this Fri when I take my roomate in for his prints. Following that thought, anyone want to PM me a phone number that can accept collect calls from the jail? LOL In all seriousness, it wouldn't be a bad idea for us to have a set person or two to call if the sh** hits the fan. With all the OCing we do and the run ins you sometimes have, it would be nice to know that at least the info got out.

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

You're allowed one call. Tell that person to post here. I doubt it'll go that far, even given the bad experiences I had in the past... they really don't like taking people down town... it's too much paperwork for them.

IndianaBoy79

imported post

Went shopping at Winco today on 44 near Eagle. Nothing to report at all...

Mcdonalds twice today, the one in Eagle for lunch and the one on Chinden/Glenwood later in the evening. Got a look from the girl behind the counter, but she finished my order and I stayed for about 30 minutes. No problems.

I was curious about something one of you may be able to answer. Is the bus system in Boise privately owned, or is it a government system? Or could it even be a private company contracted out by the city to offer a public service? The reason I ask is that I wanted to OC downtown soon and planned to ride the bus around a bit. Anyone wanna join me?

Blackfox

imported post

to my knowledge, ValleyRide is the company that boise uses for its transit system.

a quote from valleyride.org:

Code:
Q.           WHAT ARE YOUR POLICIES FOR BUS RIDERS?
A. 						While on board the bus, we ask that you observe a few courtesies to make your bus ride easier, safer and a more pleasant experience for yourself and other passengers.
What you cannot do:
1). Smoke or drink alcohol
2). Board through the rear door
3). Refuse to pay the fare
4). Litter
5). Use profanity, or engage in disruptive behavior
6). Threaten or harass the driver or other passengers
<<<<What you cannot bring aboard:>>>>
1). Open food or drink containers
2). Flammables (such as gas cans)
3). <<<<Weapons>>>>
4). Strollers, grocery carts, etc. that are too large to fit between the rows of seats
5). Animals (except service animals) that are not in an approved container that can fit on your lap
What you should do:
1). Wear shirts and shoes
2). Listen to music only through headphones and keep the volume low enough so other riders can't hear it
3). Remain seated while bus is in motion (when possible)
4). Keep your feet off the seats
5). Keep your hands, arms and head inside the bus. Do not shout out the window.
6). Respect fellow riders - no loud talking with passengers or on your cell phone!

No refunds or replacement bus passes for purchased, lost, or stolen passes.

sadly, i dont know if you will be able to carry openly if you plan to ride the bus, looking at policy 2.3
downtown is small enough that you can walk most anywhere there so the bus may not be necessary, would have been a great experience though.

heres the contact info for Valley Regional Transit, the parent company for ValleyRide

Valley Regional Transit
830 N. Main Street Ste. 230
Meridian, ID 83642
(208) 846-8547
for ValleyRide concerns call
(208) 345-RIDE (7433)

hope that helped you out indianaboy

IndianaBoy79

imported post

Thanks for the info..here's why I ask about ownership though. Idaho has full preemption of firearm laws. If this company is contracted by the city or county, then that rule needs testing. Any of the more experienced Idahoan OCers have any comments on this?

idaho220

imported post

IndianaBoy79 wrote:
Idaho has full preemption of firearm laws.

Just an FYI for folks on here... Idaho Code currently only preempts cities and counties from "regulat[ing] the lawful ownership, possession or transportation of firearms when carried or transported for purposes not prohibited by the laws of the state of Idaho."

See Idaho Code 31-872 and Idaho Code 50-343.

True, FULL preemption should be arriving shortly. Stay tuned...

idaho220

imported post

While this IS a defintition of preemption that covers open carry, it doesn't apply to anything other than cities and counties... All I'm trying to offer is that private entities are not covered, nor are all publicly-funded entities in Idaho.

Best of luck with the bus situation... :)