• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

***CARPOOL COORDINATION THREAD***

IanB

imported post

Heads up folks! Lobby day is approaching and we want to ensure maximum participation. Please use this thread to offer or request rides to Richmond. I will continually update this first post to reflect the needs of the drivers and riders.The first section will be drivers offering rides, number of seats currently available,time they will leave, and where you should meet them (carpool staging). The second section will be riders seeking rides, and how far they are willing to drive to meet the carpool staging area. The third section will be basic rules of etiquette for drivers and riders carpooling together. If any information on this page is not current please PM me and I will update your information.

If you are a driver offering a ride please provide both the place name and street address of your staging area.

Drivers offering rides to Richmond:

Nakedshoplifter:1 available seat, leaving @ 7:00AM, staging at Circuit City in Springfield. [click for map]

Bohdi:1 available seat, leaving @ 6:15AM, staging at Giantin Centreville. [click for map]

Tess: 2 available seats, leaving @ 7:00AM, staging *near* FT Belvoir South Post (FFX Co Pkway and Rt. 1) [PM Tess for more accurate staging location]

Rlh2005:6 available seats, leaving @ 7:30AM, stagingat Super Targetparking lot at Cosners Cornerin Fredericksburg [click for map]

Jpierce: Leaving from Bristol, seepost below.[PM Jpierce for details]

Kendo_Bunny: 2 available seats, leaving from Harrisonburg.[PMKendo_Bunny for details]

Riders seeking carpoolto Richmond:

None at this time

Carpool Rules: (These are suggestions only - but these rules will apply in my car for sure.)

• Please arrive at the staging area before time to leave. 10-15 minutes early is probably good.
  • Everyone should exchange cell numbersto help find each other at the end of the day. Plan on being separated into groups in Richmond which may not include your car traveling buddies.
  • The driver decides if eating or drinking is allowed in the car.
  • Absolutely no smoking in the car unless all occupants agree.
  • Everyone in the car will splitparking costs in Richmond equally.
  • Upon return the drivers car will be refueled, everyone will share the refuel cost equally. The driver should start the trip with a freshly topped tank of gas to make things fair at the end of the trip.
  • Seat belts will be worn by all car occupants.
  • The driver has sole discretion over the music/radio station during the trip.

bohdi

imported post

I will be leaving from the Centreville Giant off Stone/Walney Road. I believe I may have 1 available seat at this time, perhaps two. I'd like to take along the young lad but he may not want to go. I'll most likely be bringing my Father In Law (formerly referred to as F inlaw). So right now I know I'll have 1, maybe two seats. 7 AM sounds like a good time to fuel up on Starbucks before getting on the road. PM me if your interested.

AbNo

imported post

Um, I live in the 'burg, and can meet someone just off '81 at exit 247.

May I request a ride? :D

I can travel a ways, but I only know I have places to park long-term in Harrisonburg. Staunton might be an option, too.

If someone has a meet site in mind in Rockingham County, I could probably get there with no problem. I just don't want to burn almost an entire 20 gallon tank of gas to get there.

IanB

imported post

Abno,

Please edit your post to say how far you can travel to find a carpool staging area.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

We have 2 seats.

Leaving 0700 near Ft Belvoir South Post (US1 & 7100)

Must be back NLT 1630.

TEX1N

imported post

What is the goal arrival time in Richmond?

I will be carpooling from the GMU/Fairfax area, although I'm not sure if I'll have an extra space (I'm still working out details with other students that might be riding with me). I'll post when I know if I'm going to have any free space.

IanB

imported post

I believe we are meeting for breakfast and information discussion at 9AM in Richmond. Since I don't know where I'm going (and the breakfast location has not been set yet) I decided 7AM was a safe time to leave. The time can always be pushed back if it turns out to be too early.

Ghettokracker71

imported post

I'm going to ask off that day,see if I can make it out. I hope Abno can make it out.

We should set up a meet point/time for OCDO/VCDL/Packingva.org members to meet,stick together:D

IanB

imported post

Just recv'd an email from Dave, he doesn't have any kind of breakfast planned. How does the group feel about having an OCDO breakfast at:

River City Diner
7 N 17th St
Richmond, VA 23219

***EDIT***

Venue changed, see later post for details, no longer going to River City Diner.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

For those down 81 to the South, I will be going up from Bristol on Sunday the 20th and staying the night and then driving back to Bristol late Monday afternoon.

I will be glad to give anyone a ride who is on this route but you will need to book a room for Sunday night.

PS. For those who are spending the night Sunday night, I have found the absolute best hotel is the Commonwealth Park Suites ( http://www.commonwealthparksuites.com/ ) which is literally right across the street from the Capitol. Rooms including tax are 142.00 the night of January 20th.

SFDoc

imported post

Unless I get called in to work, I may be able to talk the wife into letting me use the van, can carry 6 (7 if you are close friends). Can meet at the parking lot in front of Pino's. However, I have no idea where to go. Never been to the GA or have any idea were to park. Can get together at the Richmond VCDL meeting on the 16th if all goes well.

Edit: Pino's in Meadowdale shopping center at Hopkins and Chippenham - added for those that haven't been to one of the OC dinners we've had there. Could eat there after we're finished at the GA

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I have up to six seats available. I have an Nissan Pathfinder with 2-3-2 seating. The third row requires climbing to get in and out and a full car load means getting cozy.

Rally information:
- location = Super Target parking lot at Cosners Corner in the Southpoint/Massaponax area, Spotsylvania County. Note, the pin on the map is an approximation since Google maps does not have current info for the area. This is the Target off exit 126 of I-95.
- time = 7:30AM

---

2008-01-09 -- up to 5 seats still available.

vt357

imported post

SFDoc wrote:
Unless I get called in to work, I may be able to talk the wife into letting me use the van, can carry 6 (7 if you are close friends). Can meet at the parking lot in front of Pino's. However, I have no idea where to go. Never been to the GA or have any idea were to park. Can get together at the Richmond VCDL meeting on the 16th if all goes well.
I think I will probably try to catch a ride with you. I'll be at the meeting on the 16th so I will talk with you there.

streetdoc

imported post

I'm not sure about carpooling but I was able to get this day off so I can go. I'll probably try to meet up with the group in Fredericksburg can caravan down.

ufcfanvt

imported post

What's the schedule like on lobby day? When do things start and generally end? I'm not sure if I can stay the whole day or not :X...

SFDoc

imported post

vt357 wrote:
I think I will probably try to catch a ride with you. I'll be at the meeting on the 16th so I will talk with you there.
Sounds good, should know by the 16th if I have the day off. See you then.