• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Munster, IN again...

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

A couple nights ago I stopped to get gas at the Speedway station in Munster, on Calumet Avenue.

As I was walking in to prepay, I saw two officers walk out, didn't know if they noticed my firearm or not, but apparantley they did as they had parked at the edge of the parking lot and ran my plates and observed me while I walked back out to my vehicle.

I thought that this was odd, as the car was unmarked and had Illinois plates. Then they drove toward me and asked me if I had a permit "for that". They then asked me where I keep my permit, which is always in my wallet, and asked me to provide it to them, at this point two officers exited the vehicle. One was an older gentleman, and one was a younger guy, probably in his twenties, or early thirties.

The younger guy immediately took the offensive and started into me that what I was doing was wrong, and that it is a concealed carry permit, that I was scaring people and so on. I thought it was going to end badly as it was an Illinois car and they probably didn't know the Indiana laws as well as I did. I asked them if they had got a call, which they didn't, they had just happened to be filling up next to me.

The older gentleman told me he was also and Indiana officer, to which I replied, well at least then you know I am doing nothing wrong. Again, the younger guy continues with his bashing of my mode of carry and telling me what I am doing is "wrong".

As I soon realized I wasn't going to get a word in by waiting for this guy to stop talking, I had had enough of his verbal abuse. I asked them if I was doing anything wrong, the older gentleman said no, then I told him that if that was the case I would like to pump my gas and that I did not appreciate his partners attitude, and that I would not conceal my firearm, and I would like to be left alone. Upon this they walked back to the car, I really didn't think they expected to hear this from me, but I was having a bad day and not in the mood for their verbal abuse.

The younger guy still couldn't keep his mouth shut, he got back into the car then told me, you better not take that into Illinois, but of course you know everything don't you.
I told him that I thought the Illinois law was to just cover it up once you cross the border... they left.

This raised quite a few questions--Can the railroad police stop me on public property? Where is their jurisdiction? It was an Illinois car... I am sure you could imagine my frustration, and the story above doesn't have every detail, and although not as horrible as my subway incident, and although I did act rudely at the end of the encounter, they didn't let up from the get go.

I called the CNRR police com center, I received a call back yesterday and spoke with the guy who is in charge of the local area here in NW Indiana. I recorded as much of the phone call as my cell phone would allow, so I will have to listen to it again and get his name.

I will finish up the rest of this later, I just found a microwave I have been searching for for a while, have to go pick it up!

ralphb72

imported post

I have no idea what a Railroad Police is, do they try to catch speeding locamotives??

I think he could stopand talk to you just like I could or any other citizen could, but as far as having the athority to actually detain you, and demand your LTCF and/or ID or not, I have no idea.

Sounds like you did a fine job though, you were more polite then I would have been. The words Pi** Off come to mind.

disconnect

imported post

from what i remember, i think the railroad police like..... try to catch the people that do graffiti on trains??? i can't remember, it was explained to me before... now i want to know what they really do. i will try to find out. but they were from illinois anyways, and it was none of their business to come up to you and confront you. and especially how they were talking down to you "you better not bring that into illinois" as if you are some moron that does not understand the law....

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

openryan wrote:
The younger guy still couldn't keep his mouth shut, he got back into the car then told me, you better not take that into Illinois, but of course you know everything don't you.
I told him that I thought the Illinois law was to just cover it up once you cross the border... they left.
Illinois doesn't honor any other states permits, let alone give their own unless you are LE. So you have to unload it, and put it in the trunk separate from the ammo, plus, they want you to "disassemble" the weapon. I hate Illinois.

disconnect

imported post

WhiteRabbit22 wrote:
openryan wrote:
Illinois doesn't honor any other states permits, let alone give their own unless you are LE. So you have to unload it, and put it in the trunk separate from the ammo, plus, they want you to "disassemble" the weapon. I hate Illinois.

Okay listen to this and let me know what you think. I was arguing with an LEO friend of mine the other day over the Illinois rule for Indiana gun carriers. He was telling me that "because I have a Jeep, it does not have a trunk, so you can't even carryyour guninto Illinois."(wtf???) He was saying that since the trunk in my Jeep is not covered or closed off or whatever, I could notdrive around withmy dismantled gun back there. Now this is an Indiana LEO, who probably does not know any of the Illinois laws. But still, do you think he is being serious about that? It makes no sense to me. My gun is going to taken apart anyways, and if the actual body of the gun is in the back "trunk" of my car, and the mags are in my glovebox or whatever, whats the big deal? There is no way I am going to be able to get to the gun... So if anyone has any input on this, please let me know, I live about 40 feet from the Illinois border, LOL....

oh, and can't you own a gun in IL if you havesome kind ofFOID card??

Prometheus

imported post

To my knowledge RR cops jurisdiction extaneds about 12 feet from any RR track (which is going to be RR property) in general... this can be expanded to cover train yards and 'junction boxes' and thats it. Basically only what is RR property. They can of course 'go after' someone they see committing a felony off property and also chase people that were committing crimes on RR property into other areas (same as a ILL cop can chase a speeder into Indiana).

If you were in a gas station parking lot they had no jurisdiction.

TrueBrit

imported post

Who invited the railroad bulls to the party in the first place?

Ryan , stick to your guns, and give these fools as much hell as you can.

For me, our own august LEO 229 wrapped this whole OC deal up recently with one of the best posts I have seen on this forum.

Man with a gun call- despatcher get good details-inform that OC is LEGAL.

Should compelling circumstances render the act of OC unusual or disturbing, a cop will be despatched. Otherwise, no action to be taken.

Or similar words of wisdom!

In this case, seems that no 911 calls were placed, the Hoosier cop knew that you were good to OC, and the Illinois cop had merely to keep his muffin-mill SHUT!

These guys will never understand that encounters such as these merely STRENGTHEN the resolve of the OC men! With RIGHT and THE LAW on his side, a man will oftimes spit in the Devil's eye, as you have been doing recently, good man!

TrueBrit.

TrueBrit

imported post

Citizen wrote:
TrueBrit wrote:
SNIPmuffin-mill

:D I love these Brit colloquialisms!

Citizen, I am pleased that you enjoy my little idiosyncracies, perhaps I will treat you all later to some East End of London Cockney rhyming slang, which I picked up while serving in Her Majesty's Household Division, many years ago as a young Horse-Gunner.

Watch and learn, boys!;)Two OC guys speaking rhyming slang will be unintelligible to ANY American cop,and will blow his mind, guaranteed!

A happy and prosperous New Year to all members ,

TrueBrit.

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

disconnect wrote:
WhiteRabbit22 wrote:
openryan wrote:

Okay listen to this and let me know what you think. I was arguing with an LEO friend of mine the other day over the Illinois rule for Indiana gun carriers. He was telling me that "because I have a Jeep, it does not have a trunk, so you can't even carryyour guninto Illinois." (wtf???) He was saying that since the trunk in my Jeep is not covered or closed off or whatever, I could notdrive around withmy dismantled gun back there. Now this is an Indiana LEO, who probably does not know any of the Illinois laws. But still, do you think he is being serious about that? It makes no sense to me. My gun is going to taken apart anyways, and if the actual body of the gun is in the back "trunk" of my car, and the mags are in my glovebox or whatever, whats the big deal? There is no way I am going to be able to get to the gun... So if anyone has any input on this, please let me know, I live about 40 feet from the Illinois border, LOL....

oh, and can't you own a gun in IL if you havesome kind ofFOID card??
I would think that the rear of the vehichle, as long as it is not immediatelyattainable to persons inside the vehicle, would be considered the trunk. so don't put anybody in the back seat, right? they couldn't possibly get away with that. That would essentially be telling gun owners that they can only use a certain kind of car to transport their firearm in, and I'm sure there's a law against that somewhere. Oh yeah, that's called communism, my bad, I forgot.

cato

imported post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railroad_police#Jurisdiction_and_authority

Jurisdiction and authority
Railroad police officers are certified law enforcement officers and carry full police and arrest powers. The appointment, commissioning and regulation of railroad police under Section 1704 of the U.S. Crime Control Act of 1990, provides that: "A railroad police officer who is certified or commissioned as a police officer under the laws of any one state shall, in accordance with the regulations issued by the U. S. Secretary of Transportation, be authorized to enforce the laws of any other state in which the rail carrier owns property."

It is important to note that Section 1704 also states that this police authority is to "the extent of the authority of a police officer certified or commissioned under the laws of that jurisdiction". While a railroad police officer may have general peace officer authority in some states such as California, they are may limited to the railroad's property in other states.

I_Hate_Illinois

imported post

I would have simply said "I'm sorry that you're out of your jurisdiction, but since I was raised with manners, I will answer your question. Yes, I have a permit. No, you may not see it. I understand that in your Motherland, the people are defenseless sheep, but this is the United States, not the Peoples Republic of Shitcago. So take your commie pinko asses back across the border where you belong and re-attach your mouths to the governors groin area as soon as you can. Have a nice night, douche bags."

mastiff69

imported post

The other way to handle those types is to answer all of there questions, with a question, i call it the one on one.

They ask a question You have a lic. / your question did you go to school?

Its against the law to OC/ Your Q. Are you a Federal Marshall ? You get the drift:D

IF and i say if,, you are breaking the law, then your asking them,him,her questions can't be used against you.

And if they are serious, i have nothing to say except name and drivers lic. along with i would like my attorney, and when do we get fed? I would like ribs, mashed potatoes,gravy, salad blue cheese, OH and my meds Please:D

Or the other way is to just go about your business and if they persist call for help !

Beau

imported post

I_Hate_Illinois wrote:
I would have simply said "I'm sorry that you're out of your jurisdiction, but since I was raised with manners, I will answer your question. Yes, I have a permit. No, you may not see it. I understand that in your Motherland, the people are defenseless sheep, but this is the United States, not the Peoples Republic of Shitcago. So take your commie pinko asses back across the border where you belong and re-attach your mouths to the governors groin area as soon as you can. Have a nice night, douche bags."
Where is the Emoticon for a hug?:lol:

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Sorry, haven't updated this in a while, have been very busy!

Anyway, the state police, formally the state of Indiana comissions the railroad police, so they do apparantly have full police power in the state the comissions them.

However, the IL plates still have me wondering, he never gave me an answer for that one...