• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is it open carry?

GunCat

imported post

If I put this:

6pa0g7n.jpg

Into this cell-phone holster:
89gmuqu.jpg

And put it onmy belt, would thatbe considered open carry?

NRS says
1. “Concealed firearm” means a loaded or unloaded pistol, revolver or other firearm which is carried upon a person in such a manner as not to be discernible by ordinary observation.

Erus

imported post

Good Question. Looksa little iffy to me. Might look like just a knife or something.

I kind of have the same curiosity regarding a derringer.. need a neck holster for it or something.. but I don't think anything that doesn't LOOK like a gun holster would be kosher.

Will be very interested in replies to this query.

BTW, welcome to the forum, Guncat. (NRSmeans you're inNevada, yes?)

Erus

eyesopened

imported post

In my opinion that would be concealed. I'm not law enforcement, or a lawyer so take it for what it's worth. Now if the hammer was visible, then I'd say it was OC in a holster.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

GunCat wrote:
SNIP And put it onmy belt, would thatbe considered open carry?

A better question might be, "What are the chances an LEO might take advantage of ambiguity (its not fully concealed, yet its not fully revealed) and charge me?"

Which would lead to the next question, "Do I really want the expense and risk of explaining this to a judge, perhaps not entirely to his satisfaction?"

GunCat

imported post

Erus wrote:
Good Question. Looksa little iffy to me. Might look like just a knife or something.

I kind of have the same curiosity regarding a derringer.. need a neck holster for it or something.. but I don't think anything that doesn't LOOK like a gun holster would be kosher.

Will be very interested in replies to this query.

BTW, welcome to the forum, Guncat. (NRSmeans you're inNevada, yes?)

Erus

Thanks for the welcome. You are right, I am from Nevada. (Just modded my profile to reflect that!)

Thanks for the Replies all.

Dreamer

imported post

In NC, there are SPECIFIC wordings in both Statute and Case law establishing that a tiny gun in a belt buckle qualifies as "concealed" even if it's plainly visible, because an observer can't tell, just by looking at it, if it's a real gun or just an ornament.

Carry a derringer in a buckle mount like that in NC without a CHP, and you are in BIG trouble...

As for the original post, I'd say that at least in NC, that particular gun in that particular pouch WOULD be considered "Concealed". It is not readily recognizeable as a firearm, and that is the yardstick they use here in NC--can any reasonable observer instantly recognize that as a firearm? I'd say no...

Get a real holster dude...

Or better yet, get a gun with a sufficiently effective caliber to actually be USEFUL as a self-defense gun and carry that. These tiny little mouse gun derringers are NOT good self-defense firearms--they are novelty items, and something for collectors. Get a .38 special revolver, or a KelTek 9mm or some other reasonably effective mid-sized caliber.

mzwosta943

imported post

Appreciate the info on NC, it's a beautiful state. I was there for a few days when my son rec'd his Green Beret @ Ft. Bragg.

I 'm proud to reside in KY, one of the most gun friendly states (commonwealth) in the Union. We don't have a lot of "mother-may-I" regs to have to memorize to ensure that we are carrying legally, or a bunch of hoops to jump thru when it comes to carrying a weapon to defend our lives. Open carry is welcomed here & I open carry from time to time. I've had my CCDW since it was passed into law many yrs ago. We have the right to carry ANY deadly weapon, which includes any edged weapon, brass kncks, slap jacks/batons, nun-chucks, throwing stars etc. not just a handgun., & it can be the handgun of choice, not just the gun you qualify with.

My carry pistol is a Taurus PT945 or my Sig Sauer P6. The NAA post I made was an attempt at humor,I assure you, it's certainly not my primary weapon. But it is nice to wear knowing that if things get real tough, it's there as a last ditch choice.

Pace

imported post

Eh, is there a rash of violent Lilliputians in your state?

GunCat wrote:
If I put this:

6pa0g7n.jpg

89gmuqu.jpg

NRS says
1. “Concealed firearm” means a loaded or unloaded pistol, revolver or other firearm which is carried upon a person in such a manner as not to be discernible by ordinary observation.

shad0wfax

imported post

GunCat wrote:
If I put this:

6pa0g7n.jpg

89gmuqu.jpg

NRS says
I'd personally call that concealed, but that's a judgment call.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

GunCat wrote:
Thanks for the welcome. You are right, I am from Nevada. (Just modded my profile to reflect that!)
Aah, No - your profile indicates USA, not Nevada,

Insofar as what constitutes CC or OC, it depends on the laws of each state. It is highly recommended that you become familiar with the laws of your state to this regard.

In Virginia, for example, the gun must be recognizable by common observation; however, a belt buckle gun is considered concealed due to its deceptiveness.
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308

Yata hey

shad0wfax

imported post

AbNo wrote:
shad0wfax wrote:
I'd personally call that concealed, but that's a judgment call.
And being that it's a judgment call, you might want to err on the side of caution, lest it be a judge's call.
Yup, in my state you need a permit to conceal but can OC without a permit. Hence, I'd err on the side of caution and call that concealed here in WA.

As Grapeshot pointed out, the belt-buckle holsters are considered "deceptive" in VA so they're considered concealed there as well. Best to err on the side of caution indeed.