• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Child Accidentally Shot in Leg

acrimsontide

imported post

PT111 wrote:
acrimsontide wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
I agree..

In Virginia it is a crime.

§ 18.2-56.2. Allowing access to firearms by children; penalty.

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to recklessly leave a loaded, unsecured firearm in such a manner as to endanger the life or limb of any child under the age of fourteen. Any person violating the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a Class 3 misdemeanor.

B. It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to authorize a child under the age of twelve to use a firearm except when the child is under the supervision of an adult. Any person violating this subsection shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. For purposes of this subsection, "adult" shall mean a parent, guardian, person standing in loco parentis to the child or a person twenty-one years or over who has the permission of the parent, guardian, or person standing in loco parentis to supervise the child in the use of a firearm.

That's a law that I agree with. Isee the need for loaded firearms for protection but that does not relieve us of the responsibility for keeping them out of the hands of children. We cantrain a kid about firearms, talk to a kid about never touching firearms without supervision and threaten them with punishment if they disobey, BUT they are still kids and some of them will get the firearm if it is available.If we keep a loaded firearm in a home with children we must take measures to insure the children cannot gain access to them. There are excellent quick access firearm boxes that we can get for that purpose.

So you agree with resticting the rights of individuals based on age. 2A doesn't say as long as you are old enough. ;)
Yeah, I guess I do to some extent!!! There are ages when a child should not have access to a firearm without supervision. There is a difference in the "rights" of a CHILD and a responsible adult or even a younger person who has been properly trained in the use of firearms. In the post from LEO 229, the "child" was 5 years old and in my opinion he/she should NOT have the "right" to a firearm without complete, responsible supervision from an adult and a firearm should not be left around for a child to get their hands on. To me that is not restricting rights, it is responsible gun ownership from the adult. I also don't think a 5 year old should be given the keys to the family vehicle so if that makes me agree with "restricting the rights of individuals based on age", then I guess the way it is.

acrimsontide

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
acrimsontide wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
I agree..

In Virginia it is a crime.

§ 18.2-56.2. Allowing access to firearms by children; penalty.

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to recklessly leave a loaded, unsecured firearm in such a manner as to endanger the life or limb of any child under the age of fourteen. Any person violating the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a Class 3 misdemeanor.

B. It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to authorize a child under the age of twelve to use a firearm except when the child is under the supervision of an adult. Any person violating this subsection shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. For purposes of this subsection, "adult" shall mean a parent, guardian, person standing in loco parentis to the child or a person twenty-one years or over who has the permission of the parent, guardian, or person standing in loco parentis to supervise the child in the use of a firearm.

That's a law that I agree with. Isee the need for loaded firearms for protection but that does not relieve us of the responsibility for keeping them out of the hands of children. We cantrain a kid about firearms, talk to a kid about never touching firearms without supervision and threaten them with punishment if they disobey, BUT they are still kids and some of them will get the firearm if it is available.If we keep a loaded firearm in a home with children we must take measures to insure the children cannot gain access to them. There are excellent quick access firearm boxes that we can get for that purpose.
That is something I preach about all the time.

I have a gun in a quick access box nearby. NOBODY can get it but me and the wife.

I do not want friends to pick it up and play with it. I have seen cases where the owner is killed with his own gun at the hands of a dumb friend wanting to dry fire a loaded gun.
Same here. Some of my friends wouldn't know which end the projectile came out of socertainly don't want them handling my firearms. They are great guys and good friends, they just don't know squat about firearms.

acrimsontide

imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
So what does this thread have to do with open carry OR Virginia???
I guess you have a good point. It doen't have anything to do with OC or Virginia, just firearm safety which could apply to Open carriers, Concealed carriers or firearm owners in all 5 states., but Iguessit is a little off topic from the intent of the forum.

massltca

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

http://www.myfoxdc.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=5329626&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

MONROVIA, Md. (AP) -- A 5-year-old boy was accidentally shot in the leg by a loaded gun he found under a sofa cushion in his home, authorities said.

Charles Donato's wound was not life-threatening, said Capt. Tim Clarke of the Frederick County Sheriff's Office. The boy was being treated at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore.

The boy reached under the cushion Wednesday evening and touched the pistol, causing it to fire a 9mm bullet into his upper right thigh, Clarke said. The boy's two siblings weren't hurt.

Parents Gail and Richard Donato called 911 and rendered aid to their son until paramedics arrived, Clarke said.

Investigators seized several weapons from the home and are working to determine why a loaded handgun was left unattended and hidden beneath a sofa cushion.
Why the f***k can't people learn to secure their weapons properly?!!!!:banghead::banghead:This is why we have those CAP laws. There is NO excuse for these "accidents". If you have kids in the house you need to know where that weapon is at all times and if you aren't willing to do that then you shouldn't own a gun. The lack of common sense and responsibility among some gun owners is absolutely appalling. :uhoh:

LEO 229

imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
So what does this thread have to do with open carry OR Virginia???
Strange.... I did not see you post the same question on another thread that was not even gun related....

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/6943.html

This entry....

• is actually gun related
  • deals with guns being left out unsecured
  • raises safety awareness and responsible gun handling
  • has been talked about in the past on other threads here

LEO 229

imported post

massltca wrote:
Why the f***k can't people learn to secure their weapons properly?!!!!:banghead::banghead:This is why we have those CAP laws. There is NO excuse for these "accidents". If you have kids in the house you need to know where that weapon is at all times and if you aren't willing to do that then you shouldn't own a gun. The lack of common sense and responsibility among some gun owners is absolutely appalling. :uhoh:
I know of situations where a gun left out in a house containing no kids lead to the death of others by adults!

Friends come over to visit and pick it up killing the owner of the gun......

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'm not convinced the parents weren't otherwise criminal, too.

Separately, addressing an earlier post, I'm not convinced its appropriate to legislate firearm access for children.

I agree that it is irresponsible to leave a firearm where a child can get hurt, but its also irresponsible to leave the handle on a pot of boiling water hanging over the edge of a stove where a child can tip it onto themselves, or leave a 5-gal bucket around with some water in the bottom where a young child can drown in it. Those last two aren't illegal.

Its a social issue. If they are to be believed, the NRA's gun safety education programs have helped markedly reduce firearm accidents over the last 70 years maybe.

Be cautious with"it should be illegal." You just handed some politician some pandering material.

Humorous mention. My memory is a little foggy so the following may be a little sideways. Mark Twain once wrote about thedangers of unloaded firearms. He said a youth with a loaded gun couldn't hit a barn with a gatling gun give him all afternoon; but give him an"unloaded" gun from above the mantel and he could bag his grandmother every time.

LEO 229

imported post

Citizen wrote:
I'm not convinced the parents weren't otherwise criminal, too.

Separately, addressing an earlier post, I'm not convinced its appropriate to legislate firearm access for children.

I agree that it is irresponsible to leave a firearm where a child can get hurt, but its also irresponsible to leave the handle on a pot of boiling water hanging over the edge of a stove where a child can tip it onto themselves, or leave a 5-gal bucket around with some water in the bottom where a young child can drown in it. Those last two aren't illegal.

Its a social issue. If they are to be believed, the NRA's gun safety education programs have helped markedly reduce firearm accidents over the last 70 years maybe.

Be cautious with"it should be illegal." You just handed some politician some pandering material.

Humorous mention. My memory is a little foggy so the following may be a little sideways. Mark Twain once wrote about thedangers of unloaded firearms. He said a youth with a loaded gun couldn't hit a barn with a gatling gun give him all afternoon; but give him an"unloaded" gun from above the mantel and he could bag his grandmother every time.
If there is no punishment... people will leave the guns out with kids around and take their chance. What are the odds.....

A boiling pot of water on the skinis bad.... But a gun can easily kill the kid or anyone else in the house that is on the receiving end of the barrel.

Gun owners do that now by not locking up their guns while away are also playing another set of odds... BURGLARY!!!

These are two odds I am not going to play at all.

PT111

imported post

My 18 month-old cousin pulled a frying pan of hot grease off the stove on his head. He almost died and has had several skin grafs. He has no hair on one side of his head. That was 50 years ago and my family is very careful about pot handles now. A pan of boiling water can easily be fatal andadults can be charged due to it.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
SNIP If there is no punishment... people will leave the guns out with kids around and take their chance. What are the odds.....
I guess this is one where we'll have to differ.

I do not accept that it is government's role to intrude into every aspect of life wherein there is danger.

The problems this can cause in a society are manifest. Bigger and overreaching government andall the nasty problems that go with it.

The situation wheredoctors in the Northeast were asking kidsif daddy has a gun in the house comes to mind. We all know that didn't just spring up over night. Neither the kid side of the wedge, nor the gun side of the wedge. Its been building for years.

LEO 229

imported post

Citizen wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
SNIP If there is no punishment... people will leave the guns out with kids around and take their chance. What are the odds.....
I guess this is one where we'll have to differ.

I do not accept that it is government's role to intrude into every aspect of life wherein there is danger.

The problems this can cause in a society are manifest. Bigger and overreaching government andall the nasty problems that go with it.

The situation wheredoctors in the Northeast were asking kidsif daddy has a gun in the house comes to mind. We all know that didn't just spring up over night. Neither the kid side of the wedge, nor the gun side of the wedge. Its been building for years.
I can only imaging that the law was created was because gun owners were were being irresponsibleand kids were getting shot and killed after finding them.

Gee.. kinda like what happened here!! Kid finds loaded gun and shoots self in leg.

Many other kids are not so lucky. :X

But you want gun owners to go unpunished and allow access kids to have access to guns.

SIGguy229

imported post

Back to the OP:

Why did they take the rest of the firearms? They know which one the kid was shot with? What do they do with the rest of the firearms? How does the owner get them back? They are his property--under what authority are they keeping the firearms from the owner?

LEO 229

imported post

I have no clue why they did that!!

Maybe they needed to be sure they had the right gun. It could be that the child was shot by another gun, belonging to someone else, and the gun found was a plant.

Getting them back.. another good question.....

Two questions I cannot answer.

tarzan1888

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
I was a kid.... I did some real dumb stuff.... I am happy I did not have a gun till I was past the age of 7. :lol:

You got a gun at age 7......Gee I'm jealous. I didn't get a .22 till I was 10. :(

Tarzan

MolenLabe!

imported post

Great! Though the national organization ignores the 2A (and in fact calls it a "collective" right: http://www.aclu.org/police/gen/14523res20020304.html) there are some state-based chapters that do take a more-principled stand (or are starting to: http://proteinwisdom.com/?p=9351)

let us know how it goes!

Xeni wrote
Speaking of people that may not be familiar with the operation of a pistol. I was invited to an ACLU meeting in Northern Virginia around the end of January. I think I may go and open carry. :celebrate

massltca

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
massltca wrote:
I know of situations where a gun left out in a house containing no kids lead to the death of others by adults!

Friends come over to visit and pick it up killing the owner of the gun......
Yeah I know. What I should say is guns need to be secured from children and adults that haven't been trained to handle firearms safely. Incidents like these make the rest of us look bad and cause ill conceived laws to be passed.