Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OC difficulties during winter

Post imported post

obviously OC is easier in summer due to minimal clothes but what are you guys doing when its "cold" here in AZ wearing a coat, jacket, long sweater etc????

I use a drop rig thigh holster no biggie but was wondering what you guys do??

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Preventing the crime of accidentally concealing with my jacket is the number one reason I applied for a CCW permit...and since I haven't gotten it yet, not wearing a coat everywhere I go is the number one reason I'm presently fighting off a nasty cold. :-) I do not like thigh holsters, so I've just been wearing lots of long sleeve t-shirts so as to avoid concealment.

Post imported post

CCW Lic. easy to obtain in AZ, and then your safe.

Post imported post

is this the CCW forum or the OC forum??????? I choose not to get a ccw since I choose not to have my fingerprints on file and allow the gov't to know my $hit when they don't have to....

That is why I don't have a ccw...... back to the topic at hand......

Post imported post

i wear hoodies or a jacket that ends at my hip so when i do finally get to OC i'd just tuck the end of the jacket/sweat shirt into my pants where my holster is

Post imported post

Even if you do conceal under your jacket without the CCW permit, who is going to know? You could walk by 100 police officers and none of them would know. The concealed-permit laws are what I call "feel good" laws. They make people feel safe by having some sort of process for people to carry firearms certain ways but they are easy to circumvent by otherwise law-abiding citizens who don't feel that the 2nd Amendment allows state and local authorities to restrict carrying styles and obviously allows criminals to do it anyway. Just like open-carrying in a vehicle, I could have my jacket over my gun concealed but if a cop is pulling me over, I could simply make sure it is visible by the time the cop arrives at the window. Same with "feel good" seatbelt laws, I could buckle my seatbelt if not already done as the cop is walking up to the window. The CCW law is not only unconstitutional, it is stupid anyway. I've come across cops themselves that think some of these gun laws are stupid and I knew of an ex-cop one time that violated the liquor establishment carrying law. Before anyone says I am advocating breaking laws, there is something that needs to be understood. These local and state laws are subject to the highest law of the land: the United States Constitution. The laws themselves are illegal. Carrying in schools is also illegal according to state law but if I had a kid in high school and a teacher was breaking that law by illegally carrying and some kid was about to go postal, I would sure want my kid to be in that teacher's classroom at the time of the incident. Enough said.

Founder's Club Member OC-Glock19's Avatar

Post imported post

Another option for wintertime open carry outside your coat is a Sam Browne rig like this one:

Order this setup for only $82.95 at: http://www.stationhouse.com/outfitte...belts_copy.htm

State Researcher

Post imported post

I like the look of that rig, but it would only be practical if you were going to be wearing your coat all day long. There would be noconvenient way to take your coat off while you were inside, in the car, etc.

I personally use a thigh rig if I want to open carry while wearing a coat. My g/f doesn't like how it looks, though, so I end up concealing a lot, too. :P

Post imported post

Thigh rig or a shorter length jacket so my goes over my hip. I haven't really had any problems with it this winter. Layers...you know a thermal or something and a long sleeve shirt...

Post imported post

511 Tactical gear sells a Jacket retail $65 which has zippers on either side's for the purpose of open carry. It's fleece lined and stands up to winter weather in VA. It comes in blk, blu. I have it in blk so as not to resemble the LEO's. Also my Columbia jacket which is heavier has a drawstring bottom which clears my Blackhawk holster's(both duty and CQC).

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Check out the Serpa level 2 duty holster. It's a low ride belt holster with a jacket slot. It was designed for LEO's to OC with a jacket. I have one for motorcycling while OCing with a riding jacket on.

Post imported post

ANy chance you got a name for that jacket??? or website address of that specific item??

Post imported post

Placementvs.Calibur wrote:
    511 Tactical gear sells a Jacket retail $65 which has zippers on either side's for the purpose of open carry. It's fleece lined and stands up to winter weather in VA. It comes in blk, blu. I have it in blk so as not to resemble the LEO's. Also my Columbia jacket which is heavier has a drawstring bottom which clears my Blackhawk holster's(both duty and CQC).
    I use that exact fleece jacket to OC my 1911 in a Serpa holster. It's all Icould ware to keep warm outside on Lobby Day, and I think it did a very good job.

Post imported post

crtbc wrote:
    ANy chance you got a name for that jacket??? or website address of that specific item??

I got mine from the store at the NRAHQ in Fairfax, but nowI don't see the exact one listed on either the NRA store website http://www.nrastore.com/nra/Products...=Jackets/Vestsor the 5.11 Tactical website http://www.511tactical.com/outerwear.html.

Post imported post

It's called the "Big Horn Jacket" and sells for $69.99 on 511tactical.com/outerwear/duty. Mine has a lot of hidden pockets for mags and even concealment puposes.

Post imported post

'Seldom wear more than a waist length denim jacket... unless it's raining. I OC all the time... 'got the CCW for when it's rainin'... which is seldom 'cept during Monsoons. I don't know why some of ya'll want'a push the envelope on CC... w/o the CCW. Especially where illegal aliens abound. It's also a good thing to have when traveling outta AZ.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
    ....I don't know why some of ya'll want'a push the envelope on CC... w/o the CCW. Especially where illegal aliens abound. It's also a good thing to have when traveling outta AZ.
    What are you talking about???

Post imported post

Read some previous posts...

Post imported post

Waaiiiittt..... It gets cold enough for anything but shorts here?

Its all about the layers for me. Long sleeve shirt or fleece with the botom tucked behind the gun and holster.

Post imported post

Shorts? I ain't worn short pants sinceI was 5. Ohh... yer in Scottsdale

Post imported post

Last winter, I rarely wore any jacket unless I was riding. This is my first summer though, so my blood may have thinned enough that I'll need to wear a jacket this year. I know that I saw a lot of people wearing light jackets last year, and even a few wearing heavy jackets, but I never really saw the need.

This is in the Valley, of course. Elsewhere will be a different story.

Post imported post

vmaxanarchist wrote:
    Check out the Serpa level 2 duty holster. It's a low ride belt holster with a jacket slot. It was designed for LEO's to OC with a jacket.

Ironcially, I just ordered a Serpa level 2 for my XD... what's a jacket slot?

Post imported post

OC-Glock19 wrote:
    Another option for wintertime open carry outside your coat is a Sam Browne rig like this one:

Order this setup for only $82.95 at: http://www.stationhouse.com/outfitte...belts_copy.htm
    That's Jim Carrey.

http://www.hollywoodjesus.com/movie/...lf/asHank2.jpg
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

1FASTC4 wrote:
    vmaxanarchist wrote:
    Check out the Serpa level 2 duty holster. It's a low ride belt holster with a jacket slot. It was designed for LEO's to OC with a jacket.

Ironcially, I just ordered a Serpa level 2 for my XD... what's a jacket slot?
    The Serpa level 2 Duty not the CQC rides lower and it is angled out away from the belt. This makes a slot than allows you to have the hem of your jacket at the normal height belowyour belt line tucked in to the slot behind the grip of the gun.

The level 2 Duty is meant to be attached semipermanently to a duty belt. It's not like the CQC which comes with a quick attach belt loops or a paddle. So, to practically use it you need to havea duty style gun belt that you put on over your regular pants belt, or keep the pants, belt, and holster assembled like I do with my leather riding pants when I want to OC while ridding. Unless you are willing to unscrew it every time you want to take your belt and holster off your pants.

Post imported post

Ahh I see. Thanks for the explanation. I own a couple of jackets but rarelyr wear them. I wear a long sleeved shirt now and then... even a sweat shirt. I'm from MN, it really doesn't get that cold here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast