• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC difficulties during winter

crtbc

imported post

obviously OC is easier in summer due to minimal clothes but what are you guys doing when its "cold" here in AZ wearing a coat, jacket, long sweater etc????

I use a drop rig thigh holster no biggie but was wondering what you guys do??

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Preventing the crime of accidentally concealing with my jacket is the number one reason I applied for a CCW permit...and since I haven't gotten it yet, not wearing a coat everywhere I go is the number one reason I'm presently fighting off a nasty cold. :) I do not like thigh holsters, so I've just been wearing lots of long sleeve t-shirts so as to avoid concealment.

crtbc

imported post

is this the CCW forum or the OC forum??????? I choose not to get a ccw since I choose not to have my fingerprints on file and allow the gov't to know my $hit when they don't have to....

That is why I don't have a ccw...... back to the topic at hand......

r6-rider

imported post

i wear hoodies or a jacket that ends at my hip so when i do finally get to OC i'd just tuck the end of the jacket/sweat shirt into my pants where my holster is

protector84

imported post

Even if you do conceal under your jacket without the CCW permit, who is going to know? You could walk by 100 police officers and none of them would know. The concealed-permit laws are what I call "feel good" laws. They make people feel safe by having some sort of process for people to carry firearms certain ways but they are easy to circumvent by otherwise law-abiding citizens who don't feel that the 2nd Amendment allows state and local authorities to restrict carrying styles and obviously allows criminals to do it anyway. Just like open-carrying in a vehicle, I could have my jacket over my gun concealed but if a cop is pulling me over, I could simply make sure it is visible by the time the cop arrives at the window. Same with "feel good" seatbelt laws, I could buckle my seatbelt if not already done as the cop is walking up to the window. The CCW law is not only unconstitutional, it is stupid anyway. I've come across cops themselves that think some of these gun laws are stupid and I knew of an ex-cop one time that violated the liquor establishment carrying law. Before anyone says I am advocating breaking laws, there is something that needs to be understood. These local and state laws are subject to the highest law of the land: the United States Constitution. The laws themselves are illegal. Carrying in schools is also illegal according to state law but if I had a kid in high school and a teacher was breaking that law by illegally carrying and some kid was about to go postal, I would sure want my kid to be in that teacher's classroom at the time of the incident. Enough said.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Another option for wintertime open carry outside your coat is a Sam Browne rig like this one:

sam%20brown.jpg

Order this setup for only $82.95 at: http://www.stationhouse.com/outfitters/jaypee/sam_brown_belts_copy.htm

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I like the look of that rig, but it would only be practical if you were going to be wearing your coat all day long. There would be noconvenient way to take your coat off while you were inside, in the car, etc.

I personally use a thigh rig if I want to open carry while wearing a coat. My g/f doesn't like how it looks, though, so I end up concealing a lot, too. :p

rocknsnow

imported post

Thigh rig or a shorter length jacket so my goes over my hip. I haven't really had any problems with it this winter. Layers...you know a thermal or something and a long sleeve shirt...

Placementvs.Calibur

imported post

511 Tactical gear sells a Jacket retail $65 which has zippers on either side's for the purpose of open carry. It's fleece lined and stands up to winter weather in VA. It comes in blk, blu. I have it in blk so as not to resemble the LEO's. Also my Columbia jacket which is heavier has a drawstring bottom which clears my Blackhawk holster's(both duty and CQC).

vmaxanarchist

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Check out the Serpa level 2 duty holster. It's a low ride belt holster with a jacket slot. It was designed for LEO's to OC with a jacket. I have one for motorcycling while OCing with a riding jacket on.

crtbc

imported post

ANy chance you got a name for that jacket??? or website address of that specific item??

VApatriot

imported post

Placementvs.Calibur wrote:
511 Tactical gear sells a Jacket retail $65 which has zippers on either side's for the purpose of open carry. It's fleece lined and stands up to winter weather in VA. It comes in blk, blu. I have it in blk so as not to resemble the LEO's. Also my Columbia jacket which is heavier has a drawstring bottom which clears my Blackhawk holster's(both duty and CQC).
I use that exact fleece jacket to OC my 1911 in a Serpa holster. It's all Icould ware to keep warm outside on Lobby Day, and I think it did a very good job.

VApatriot

Sonora Rebel

imported post

'Seldom wear more than a waist length denim jacket... unless it's raining. I OC all the time... 'got the CCW for when it's rainin'... which is seldom 'cept during Monsoons. I don't know why some of ya'll want'a push the envelope on CC... w/o the CCW. Especially where illegal aliens abound. It's also a good thing to have when traveling outta AZ.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
....I don't know why some of ya'll want'a push the envelope on CC... w/o the CCW. Especially where illegal aliens abound. It's also a good thing to have when traveling outta AZ.
What are you talking about???

madcapmag

imported post

Waaiiiittt..... It gets cold enough for anything but shorts here? :cool:

Its all about the layers for me. Long sleeve shirt or fleece with the botom tucked behind the gun and holster.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Shorts? I ain't worn short pants sinceI was 5. Ohh... yer in Scottsdale :lol: