• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Check list

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I posted this at http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum5/6692-5.html

Then I thought this would be a good topic.

I stated earler in the discussion that placement is the most important thing. Or you got to hit the target/body mass. You should shoot the caliber and firearm that you can handle.

Well today I went to the range for some practice. Have not been to the range in 2 1/2 months. Way to long. Shot 50 rounds out of my SW J frame 38s and 50 rounds out of my new Keltec PF-9 9mm. I set the target at at 30 feet.

All 100 rounds hit body mass. But no groupings. What's wrong? I wadded up the target and threw it in the trash. I left the range in disgust.

I met some friends for a 2 1/2 hour lunch. Then stopped at the gun shop and shot the bull and went home. The hole day, in the back of my head I kept thing what did I do wrong. I could not group anything.

Then it dawned on me. I closed my eyes every time I pulled the trigger. Dah :banghead:

Keep your eye on the target dumb A#$!! Basics dumb A#@!!

So after all this. I determined that I need a check list.

The first thing is go to the range once a months or every 3 weeks.

What would be on the check list? Your thoughts.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Have a very specific plan for what you want to accomplish during your range session. Better yet, write it out, and include the criteria you will use to determine if you met your training plan. Sort of like this:

Draw from concealment and fire two COM shots (7-ring or better) to target 12 yards out in 3.5 seconds, then drop to right knee and assess area for additional threats. Fire one head shot and target from kneeling position in 3 seconds using 12-yard target. Assess for threats again, reholster and stand. Unholster and reload. Holster. End session.

Or:

Bill Drill from concealment on target 7 yards away in less than 9 seconds with all hits in 7-ring or better.

or:

Mozambique from concealment on target starting 25 yards away whille advancing on target (or having buddy retrieve target if you cannot advance) in under6 seconds. Any shot within7-ring of COM counts, head must be hit within triangle of eyebrows to tip of nose.

It really does not matter if you are completing a specific drill, practicing "moving off the x" or shooting bullseye - you need a specific plan and objectives. The other great joy is when you see your times get lower and your groups smaller because you "feel" like you have more time for the shot(s).

stay safe.

skidmark

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

color of law wrote:
SNIP What would be on the check list? Your thoughts.

I think a checklist is rather just a starting point.

I'd get good book or an instructor. And then practice each step until it was automatic.

You know, sight alignment, sight picture, squeeze.

If you were closing your eyes, you were quite possibly also moving the gun or not smooth on the trigger.

Here is a suggestion on that point. Go ahead. Everybody laugh now and get it out of your system. Here it is:

Before you shoot, spend a little time on the firing line listening to the other gun fire.

Here is the tricky part. Think back to a song you really liked in your youth. Can you remember grooving to that song? Essentially enjoying the aesthetic of the melody or the beat? Whoassigned that enjoyableness to it? That's right. You did. Take advantage of that ability to assign or attribute aesthetic/beauty/enjoyableness.

Groove on the gunfire. No joke. Quit laughing. Just try it. If you can groove to it, you will suddenly find yourself very, very comfortable about it. Suddenly you won't be flinching with your own anymore.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

Point Shooting....learn it and maybe survive a lethal force encounter. Save the "paper shooting" for fun.......

"In real shoot-outs, people automatically assume fighting stances that are contrary to formal target shooting. Point Shooting instead takes advantage of these natural physiological reactions of the human body, and is thus based on fighting stances that the human animal will automatically assume when challenged and threatened."

http://www.bobtuley.com/pointshooting.htm

Don't misunderstand....there's nothing wrong with being able to group well at the range but, in a real world life and death situation, you won't even remember that your pistol HAS sights, let alone have time to use them.
If you practice this technique, not only will you be able to make COM hits at 50 ft, you will be able to put holes in soda cans at 15-20 ft.
Stop throwing your head back saying "awww BS"....read what Massad Ayoob found out.......

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_150_25/ai_67886010

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

nofoa wrote:
I was instructed to keep your eyes locked on that front sight.
I hope you don't get killed/injured while you look for it in the dark.......I assure you, these guys KNOW what they are talking about....Fairbairn literally "wrote the book". At least look over their credentials before you dismiss what thay have to say......

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

nofoa wrote:
Night sights...
It don't matter if they talk to you if you don't have time to get the weapon to eye level........
It's proven that, even when well trained (not range time, real training), you need 21 ft. minimum between you and the threat to be able to draw and get off a single shot if that threat runs towards you.....probably 99% of self defense shootings happen at less than 20 ft.....most happen in under 10.
Sights of any kind on a self defense pistol are near useless in real world self defense scenarios.....this is why point shooting is an important skill to learn.

FightingGlock19

imported post

Comp-tech wrote:
nofoa wrote:
Night sights...
It don't matter if they talk to you if you don't have time to get the weapon to eye level........
It's proven that, even when well trained (not range time, real training), you need 21 ft. minimum between you and the threat to be able to draw and get off a single shot if that threat runs towards you.....probably 99% of self defense shootings happen at less than 20 ft.....most happen in under 10.
Sights of any kind on a self defense pistol are near useless in real world self defense scenarios.....this is why point shooting is an important skill to learn.
what kind of formal training in on your résumé, if you don't mind my asking?

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

FightingGlock19 wrote:
Comp-tech wrote:
nofoa wrote:
Night sights...
what kind of formal training in on your résumé, if you don't mind my asking?
Military training and time out of country....Gunsite 250 Defensive Pistol w/"e-ticket"...Gunsite 499 Advanced Defensive Pistol.
I have also trained extensively (20ish years) informally using Fairbairn & Sykes techniques from their book "Shoot to Live"
I can make torso hits at 50 yards and can hit a man sized target at 100 yards with any pistol I own....using sights of course. I can also make torso hits at 40-50 ft and hit soda cans at 10-15 ft while Point Shooting with either of my 2 primary carry weapons. (S&W Sigma 9mm & 1911A1 45 ACP)
I have the good fortune to work from home and have a nice shooting area in my back yard......I average 1000 rnds of practice per month year round.