• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What's your take on this?

loudone

imported post

While it is not illegal to carry an assault rifle, it is against the law to use the gun to alarm people, Gallichant said.

"I think it is important that people understand that although he may not be specifically charged with carrying a weapon out in the open like that, just the act of doing so can cause public alarm, which is covered by disorderly conduct," Gallichant said.

I just wonder if someone could misconstrue something like a cocked and locked 1911 as a weapon carried with the intent to alarm the public. I'd really hate to spend time explaining to a court that is how the weapon was designed to be carried, and that it actually takes more actions to fire than something like a glock or a revolver.

I rarely carry open. When I do I'm veryaware of my surroundings. Pretty much the only time I carry open is when headed to the range or when in dress slacks without a coat.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

I don't see any mention of mearly carrying or transporting a weapon listed under DC as a chargable offense....the DA would have to prove intent or "violent tumultuous or threatening behaviour" to make it stick, IMHO.
They can, of course, charge you with anything I suppose......

Section 13A-11-7

Disorderly conduct.

(a) A person commits the crime of disorderly conduct if, with intent to cause public inconvenience, annoyance or alarm, or recklessly creating a risk thereof, he:
(1) Engages in fighting or in violent tumultuous or threatening behavior; or
(2) Makes unreasonable noise; or
(3) In a public place uses abusive or obscene language or makes an obscene gesture; or
(4) Without lawful authority, disturbs any lawful assembly or meeting of persons; or
(5) Obstructs vehicular or pedestrian traffic, or a transportation facility; or
(6) Congregates with other person in a public place and refuses to comply with a lawful order of the police to disperse.
(b) Disorderly conduct is a Class C misdemeanor.
(Acts 1977, No. 607, p. 812, §5525.)

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Only time i'm alarmed is when those lights go on behind me, and
the LEO has his hand on the gun but.
Guess he was DC.

I witnessed a traffic accident (cabby), started as loud yelling, put up my book and started moving out of area. Then he started waving pistol, I now put cement post between us as I continued backing away. Local cattle actually were mobbing
forward to watch. Good thing it was wash DC and the gun must have been a fake.

Didn't stick around for the show, either way you loose in the nations capital.

kurtmax_0

imported post

Huh? Anyways, don't talk about leaving the scene of an accident in public. In most places it's illegal to do so. Obviously, if someone is waiving a pistol you should leave, but I hope you called the police and explained the situation.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
Huh? Anyways, don't talk about leaving the scene of an accident in public. In most places it's illegal to do so. Obviously, if someone is waiving a pistol you should leave, but I hope you called the police and explained the situation.
Isn't that only if you are involved in the accident?...he stated that he witnessed an accident....

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Nope, didn't witness accident, was reading a good book. But did look up after a
crunch of car parts.

As for calling local police in DC and getting involved.........
It is not a crime to witness a crime. I will never get involved with the crooked DC police, I just moved out of there and circled back around a few blocks down.
VA, not a problem. Although the one time I did they wen't interested since I could
testify the criminal wasn't breaking other laws, and that dosn't sit well with them.
Drunk just hurt themselves I that is justice for me. They were upset they couldn't
get me to say other laws were being brokeen.

The amazing thing was all the cattle that ran towards the two. A gun waving in the air, and they go towards it. Only thing I liked about capital, lots of thick cement
beams to hide behind for cover.

But by far the biggest reason I support the Texas shooter, was a call I made about
a couple of BG playing with a bulldozer, and was asked by police "if it was an emergency".
In shock I replied "not if you don't want to catch them" A few weeks later, multiple
times, construction equipment was used to destroy property.
No I couldn't do anything about it. I was on the hiway, they were on other cross street, No, not mistake, one bulldozer running around with second person standing on top at midnight is not a real crew working. Climbing a muddy embankment in the dark, while being blinder by heavy equipment lights, plus had nothing would penetrate that much steal.

I'd love some depleated uranium, do you mold it or turn it to shape?

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

garrykz wrote:
Hi

I think that (1)carrying the weapon with us at any public place is totally against law as these things are made for our security but alarming the people by (2)firing the weapon in open is totally unethical

Garry

(1)Would you care to cite what law is being broken....or is this just a personal opinion?
With the exception of "demonstrations" and "posted" private property, there are no other places that are "off limits" to carry under Alabama law....even K-12 school property is legal if you have been issued a Pistol License. Of course, federal property is covered by federal law.

(2)What do you mean by the phrase "firing the weapon in open is unethical"?...did you mean carrying instead of firing?....please elaborate