• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

stupid question, but ...

HooahDOC

imported post

I presume the "license" indicated to open carry is the same as the concealed carry license? Just making sure.

Also, does GA not offer non-resident permits? I'm currently in GA attending medical school, and am also reserve Army so I kept my SC residency.

One addition
While my license is in SC (and I don't pay taxes on my Army income because I'm a SC resident), my wife is a GA and I do get an electric bill and stuff in my own name.

Fallschirjmäger

imported post

There is only a Georgia Firearms Licence (GFL) - it covers you for both concealed and open carry. With limited exceptions, carrying either way without a GFL is "not a good thing". For the price and convenience, it's hard to beat.

If you will check the thread "I am moving to Evans, GA." on this page you will a more thorough reply than mine.

revis_jonathan

State Researcher
imported post

Hooahdoc, If you are a SC resident and have a sc permit just file for a new hampshire non-resident permit for $20 and you'll gain GA, AL, and MS with NH's reciprocity agreements.

HooahDOC

imported post

revis_jonathan wrote:
Hooahdoc, If you are a SC resident and have a sc permit just file for a new hampshire non-resident permit for $20 and you'll gain GA, AL, and MS with NH's reciprocity agreements.
Got it, I'll do this. I assume from the responses that GA does not have a non-resident permit

revis_jonathan

State Researcher
imported post

I'm not sure.

Go to handgunlaw.us and click on "create license map", enter SC and NH and it will show you your reciprocity states. Note - CO, and FL will be included on the map, but remember they will not honor a non-resident permit.

flyboyldb

imported post

If you are active military - you can carry in GA without a permt or GFL. Infact you can carry in more places than someone with a GFL. But you hav to be on "active" duty for this to apply.

flyboyldb

imported post

GaGunOwner wrote:
flyboyldb wrote:
If you are active military - you can carry in GA without a permt or GFL. Infact you can carry in more places than someone with a GFL. But you hav to be on "active" duty for this to apply.

You do not have to be active military for this to apply, you just have to be in the military service of the state or the United States. It is true that you can carry in more places than people just with a GFL. Just show your military ID.

There is an attorney general's opinion where the question was asked can active duty carry without a GFL and the answer was yes. They only answered the question that was asked without much elaboration. This has been misconstrued by people that think you have to be active duty for this to apply. Read the law yourself. It is 16-11-130.

Here's a link:

http://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?title=16&chapter=11&section=130
Even better! There had always been much deliberation in GA whether it had to be Active - but I like the AG's opinion.