• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

M-16 comic book

W.E.G.

imported post

M-16 comic book

001.jpg

In PDF format at http://www.archive.org/details/DaPam750-30

In JPG format at http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=7&t=354791

expvideo

imported post

Wow. That's a lot of maintenance just to keep arifle functioning. I like my ak47. I clean it when I get around to it, and I don't have to be careful not to over oil or under oil anything. Also, my magazines are not prone to denting orbending lips. I can abuse my AK47 all day and it will still work.

I keep wanting to get an AR15, but I'm so discouraged by how finicky it is. With my ak, all I have to do is point it at a target and shoot. I have to know how to cycle the charging handle and change magazines. On the ar15, I have to know that, plus which parts to oil heavily, which parts are fragile, which parts need to be replaced if they are worn, which parts are easily bent, which parts require special tools to replace, etc. You could teach everything anyone would ever need to know about the ak47 in about 20-30 minutes in broken english. The AR15 seems like it would take at least 8 hours of classroom time to get all of the necessary information out.

BTW, I'm not trying to start an AR vs AK fight. I know that the AR15 is a much more accurate gun, and it is a much more reliable rifle now than it was in 1967. I am just ranting on how much more maintenance it requires than the AK. There are certainly benefits to either platform and it is all about personal taste and needs. I need a SHTF rifle that can stand up to poor maintenance and a lack of cleaning. If I needed a rifle that was accurate, the AR would be a much better choice.

Tomahawk

imported post

What cracks me up about it is how politically incorrect it is, and how it treats the soldier as if he were a child. There are some Army documents like this that the Marine Corps doesn't bother using.

The AR may seem finicky from reading this, but I never had any worries when I carried my M-16 around. Keeping excess dirt out of it was just something that came natural, and you can drop them, kick them, abuse them more than you might think.

The Army has an instruction book for the kevlar helmet that is like 10 pages long. For a helmet. Written like it's for sixth-graders, too. How hard is it to tell somebody how to wear a hat. Don't let this nonsense discourage you from getting an AR if that's what you really want.