Thread: Is DC running an illegal gun buy back program?

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

Fox 5 Video Report: http://www.myfoxdc.com/myfox/MyFox/p...p;locale=EN-US

--

ABC 7 Video: http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/120...?ref=newsstory

--

AP Report: http://www.myfoxdc.com/myfox/pages/H...p;pageId=1.1.1

Over 300 Firearms Received in Buyback Program

Last Edited: Saturday, 29 Dec 2007, 6:51 PM EST
    Created: Saturday, 29 Dec 2007, 3:34 PM EST

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A gun buyback program today netted 349 firearms from residents across Virginia, Maryland and D.C.

The D.C. police department's amnesty program ran from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m. at three churches in the city. People turning in working firearms received cash with no questions asked, and gun possession charges were waived.

The program was open to residents of the district, Alexandria and Arlington as well as Montgomery and Prince George's counties.

The pay scale for guns ranged from $10 for air, BB and pellet guns to $100 for assault rifles or semiautomatic pistols. The city paid about $19,000 to those who turned in their weapons.

Another buyback operation on December 15th garnered 279 firearms.

279 guns were collected in a buy back

(Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Post imported post

Mike, is this deal illegal since the cops running this program cannot strictly "buy back" these guns on a "no questions asked" basis? Just curious.

We all understand that the program has no benefit to anyone whatsoever, is DC just trying to show what a scourge these POS guns really are to society, or are they trying to be seen to be doing "something", however innefectual it might be?

TrueBrit.

Post imported post

If they're asking folks from MD and VA to bring guns into DC, aren't they guilty of soliciting a felony, or whatever the charg is?

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

TrueBrit wrote:
    Mike, is this deal illegal since the cops running this program cannot strictly "buy back" these guns on a "no questions asked" basis?
    I think the issue is that the program seeks to entice people to cross state lines to transfer guns, in violation of 18 USC 922.

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    TrueBrit wrote:
    Mike, is this deal illegal since the cops running this program cannot strictly "buy back" these guns on a "no questions asked" basis?
    I think the issue is that the program seeks to entice people to cross state lines to transfer guns, in violation of 18 USC 922.
    OK, thanks. Makes sense.

TrueBrit.

Post imported post

I think that we all should be outraged in regards to the gun buy back loophole. Guns could be falling into the hands of felons or worse, persons not allowed to own guns due to mental illness. I would hope that the local and national media would jump on the band wagon to prevent this tradgedy from occurring further.We should all contact our state and national representatives and get this stopped.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Maybe we should start a website where responsible gun owners can offer to take firearms off the hands of people that don't want them.

Post imported post

sccrref wrote:
    I think that we all should be outraged in regards to the gun buy back loophole. Guns could be falling into the hands of felons or worse, persons not allowed to own guns due to mental illness. .......
    With the number of (former) DC police officers currently serving time in prison, I can see why this could be a valid argument.

Assault Weapon (N) “Any firearm whose design disturbs the sleep of progressive politicians.”.

Post imported post

Certainly now that there are 628 fewer firearms on the streets of Maryland, Virginia, and D.C., those places are much, much safer as a result

Seriously, though, if anything, the streets of those places become more dangerous after gun buybacks due to the fact that the ones turning guns in are law abiding citizens; think about it, how many criminals are going to turn their guns in?

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA

Post imported post

think about it, how many criminals are going to turn their guns in?
    The ones that want to dispose of incriminating evidence, that's who!

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    How big a deal would it be to get an injunction?
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

I guess the ban on handguns doesn't work?....and this just goes to prove it!...again, again, and again.

Post imported post

DCMP inner goal is to ask people from MD, VA or DC to bring in guns that they illegally possess and catch them before the enter the parking lot in a vehicle known to have weapon in them and charge them with concealed handgun. So the money thats been awarded is actually being returned via ticket.

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA

Post imported post

Gee, doesn't that just reek of entrapment?

Post imported post

Does anyone think this might have a shot in court, taking the DCMP to court over enticement and/or entrapment?

Can someone find an official flyer, statement, email, or announcement about this buy-back, one that welcomes people from across state lines?

(This is politics people, pure and simple)
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

Just out of curiosity, how do they know the guns are "working"?

It might be fun to bring some old, rusty POS guns, then challenge them to prove they don't work.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

How short a time will it take for the criminals that turned in the guns to steal a gunfor thereplacement ofwhat they turned in?

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Or how long before a newly cash laden person is carjacked and robbed a short distance from the buy back?
    ---

Post imported post

You think I could bring in a couple of derringers I got for less than the hundred they offer just so I can turn a profit?