• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is DC running an illegal gun buy back program?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Fox 5 Video Report: http://www.myfoxdc.com/myfox/MyFox/pages/sidebar_video.jsp?contentId=5345536&version=1&locale=EN-US

--

ABC 7 Video: http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/1207/483786_video.html?ref=newsstory

--

AP Report: http://www.myfoxdc.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail?contentId=5344927&version=4&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=1.1.1

Over 300 Firearms Received in Buyback Program

Last Edited: Saturday, 29 Dec 2007, 6:51 PM EST
Created: Saturday, 29 Dec 2007, 3:34 PM EST

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A gun buyback program today netted 349 firearms from residents across Virginia, Maryland and D.C.

The D.C. police department's amnesty program ran from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m. at three churches in the city. People turning in working firearms received cash with no questions asked, and gun possession charges were waived.

The program was open to residents of the district, Alexandria and Arlington as well as Montgomery and Prince George's counties.

The pay scale for guns ranged from $10 for air, BB and pellet guns to $100 for assault rifles or semiautomatic pistols. The city paid about $19,000 to those who turned in their weapons.

Another buyback operation on December 15th garnered 279 firearms.

photo_servlet

279 guns were collected in a buy back

(Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

TrueBrit

imported post

Mike, is this deal illegal since the cops running this program cannot strictly "buy back" these guns on a "no questions asked" basis? Just curious.

We all understand that the program has no benefit to anyone whatsoever, is DC just trying to show what a scourge these POS guns really are to society, or are they trying to be seen to be doing "something", however innefectual it might be?

TrueBrit.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

TrueBrit wrote:
Mike, is this deal illegal since the cops running this program cannot strictly "buy back" these guns on a "no questions asked" basis?
I think the issue is that the program seeks to entice people to cross state lines to transfer guns, in violation of 18 USC 922.

TrueBrit

imported post

Mike wrote:
TrueBrit wrote:
Mike, is this deal illegal since the cops running this program cannot strictly "buy back" these guns on a "no questions asked" basis?
I think the issue is that the program seeks to entice people to cross state lines to transfer guns, in violation of 18 USC 922.

OK, thanks. Makes sense.

TrueBrit.

sccrref

imported post

I think that we all should be outraged in regards to the gun buy back loophole. Guns could be falling into the hands of felons or worse, persons not allowed to own guns due to mental illness. I would hope that the local and national media would jump on the band wagon to prevent this tradgedy from occurring further.:banghead:We should all contact our state and national representatives and get this stopped.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Maybe we should start a website where responsible gun owners can offer to take firearms off the hands of people that don't want them. :D

Shovelhead

imported post

sccrref wrote:
I think that we all should be outraged in regards to the gun buy back loophole. Guns could be falling into the hands of felons or worse, persons not allowed to own guns due to mental illness. .......
With the number of (former) DC police officers currently serving time in prison, I can see why this could be a valid argument.

:cool:

tattedupboy

imported post

Certainly now that there are 628 fewer firearms on the streets of Maryland, Virginia, and D.C., those places are much, much safer as a result:cuss:

Seriously, though, if anything, the streets of those places become more dangerous after gun buybacks due to the fact that the ones turning guns in are law abiding citizens; think about it, how many criminals are going to turn their guns in?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mike wrote:
How big a deal would it be to get an injunction?

XCon

imported post

DCMP inner goal is to ask people from MD, VA or DC to bring in guns that they illegally possess and catch them before the enter the parking lot in a vehicle known to have weapon in them and charge them with concealed handgun. So the money thats been awarded is actually being returned via ticket.

AbNo

imported post

Does anyone think this might have a shot in court, taking the DCMP to court over enticement and/or entrapment?

Can someone find an official flyer, statement, email, or announcement about this buy-back, one that welcomes people from across state lines?

(This is politics people, pure and simple)

RU98A

Campaign Veteran
imported post

How short a time will it take for the criminals that turned in the guns to steal a gunfor thereplacement ofwhat they turned in?