• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Weird Thing for The Gunny to Say

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

probably his advocacy of the 15 day waiting period. People like to champion the Gunny as one of our great 2A celebrities, so when he says anything to the effect of regulating the RKBA, it's seen as odd, at least I think this is what GLENGLOCKER thought was weird... I could be wrong.

nofoa

imported post

I think he was saying that a waiting period should be only for first time firearm buyers. In washington you get to walk out with the gun if you have CPL. I had to wait 7 days to get my first gun.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

nofoa wrote:
I think he was saying that a waiting period should be only for first time firearm buyers. In washington you get to walk out with the gun if you have CPL. I had to wait 7 days to get my first gun.
Once again, God bless Alabama. The guy at the shop even KNEW that my Dad was buying the gun to give to me. In fact, the guy's wife notarized the bill of sale that we wrote out IN THE STORE! No wait, just one simple phone call, and they even gave me a box of 100 rds for free.

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

He even said "I understand the cooling off period" I would like to see the numbers of how many people have been injured or worse due to cooling off periods.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

I think the context needs to be taken into account... He's saying, "I can understand the cool off period", not necessarily stating that he condones it, but he's making these statements in contrast that he doesn't understand why a person can go into a used gun store and buy as many used pistols as he likes, but he has to wait a full month between new handguns.

imperialism2024

imported post

Wynder wrote:
I think the context needs to be taken into account... He's saying, "I can understand the cool off period", not necessarily stating that he condones it, but he's making these statements in contrast that he doesn't understand why a person can go into a used gun store and buy as many used pistols as he likes, but he has to wait a full month between new handguns.
Aye to that.

Tomahawk

imported post

Yeah, once I was talking to a friend about a ban on body armor in some states. I told him that to me, there's no way to justify it because armor can't hurt anyone. I said that I understand why gun bans are attractive to some people, but banning armor just means they want to be able to kill you easier. My buddy got all upset because he thought I was condoning gun bans. Certainly not!

Tomahawk

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
Umm.... He didn't reach his current position of 'fame' because he is a 2A activist, he is an actor.

Yes, but we are dumb Americans who worship celebrities just because they portray likeable characters on TV or in the movies.

So we expect them to share our politics and then when they speak out publicly or we elect them we act betrayed because we can't tell the difference between TV and real life.

compmanio365

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
VAopencarry wrote:
Umm.... He didn't reach his current position of 'fame' because he is a 2A activist, he is an actor.

Yes, but we are dumb Americans who worship celebrities just because they portray likeable characters on TV or in the movies.

So we expect them to share our politics and then when they speak out publicly or we elect them we act betrayed because we can't tell the difference between TV and real life.
Absolutely..........I was thinking this the whole time......I know the guy was actually a Marine and was in the Vietnam War. I would expect he strongly supports our troops because of that. But because he is pro-military/pro-troops, why does it automatically extend that he is pro-2A? Has he ever stated anywhere out of character of one of his acting roles that he supports the 2A in terms of it assuring individuals' RKBA? Or that he's against any gun control?

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Has he ever stated anywhere out of character of one of his acting roles that he supports the 2A in terms of it assuring individuals' RKBA? Or that he's against any gun control?
Yes, he's an actor, but he also hosts History Channel's 'Mail Call' (http://www.history.com/minisites/mailcall/) where he basically shows off firearms technology... Kind of a tacet, if not explicit, support in my opinion.

compmanio365

imported post

Wynder wrote:
compmanio365 wrote:
Has he ever stated anywhere out of character of one of his acting roles that he supports the 2A in terms of it assuring individuals' RKBA? Or that he's against any gun control?
Yes, he's an actor, but he also hosts History Channel's 'Mail Call' (http://www.history.com/minisites/mailcall/) where he basically shows off firearms technology... Kind of a tacet, if not explicit, support in my opinion.
Yes.....I watch this show and enjoy it often. BUT.....it shows military hardware, meant for military use. Support for MILITARY use of arms, not civilian, in my opinion. And besides......somebody came to him since he's famous for his roles as a military drill sergeant in Full Metal Jacket and elsewhere, said "Hey, we'll pay you lots of money to host this show about all this military hardware!", and of course, he accepted, because it's a job. Just because someone ison TV doesn't mean they support or are against anything they are portraying on the air.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Wynder wrote:
compmanio365 wrote:
Yes.....I watch this show and enjoy it often. BUT.....it shows military hardware, meant for military use. Support for MILITARY use of arms, not civilian, in my opinion. And besides......somebody came to him since he's famous for his roles as a military drill sergeant in Full Metal Jacket and elsewhere, said "Hey, we'll pay you lots of money to host this show about all this military hardware!", and of course, he accepted, because it's a job. Just because someone ison TV doesn't mean they support or are against anything they are portraying on the air.

I mean, you're looking for him supporting the Second Amendment outside of his acting roles, the whole series of videos in the OP does that. He's billed as being part of 'Team Glock' and states his support.

Not sure what you're trying to get at.

molonlabetn

imported post

Wynder wrote:

Exactly...

Similarly, I 'understand' why stupid irresponsiblepeople breed, but I don't condone it...