• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CNN Presidential Candidates on Gun Control

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Interesting breakdown.
Hat tip to http://michaelbane.blogspot.com/2007/12/candidates-positions-on-guns.html

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/issues/issues.gun.html
Guns
The debate over gun ownership continues in the 2008 presidential campaign. It's centered on the Second Amendment to the Constitution, protecting a person's right to bear and keep arms.
democrats.gif

Joe Biden
Voted for a 10-year extension of the assault weapons ban. Voted for requiring extensive background checks at gun shows. Supports mandatory trigger locks for handguns. Says he has had a gun in the house during his adult lifetime.

Hillary Clinton
Voted for a 10-year extension of the assault weapons ban. Voted for requiring extensive background checks at gun shows. Supports licensing and registration of handguns, mandatory trigger locks for handguns, holding adults responsible for their children's use of guns, raising the youth handgun ban from age 18 to 21, limiting gun sales to one per month and allowing the Consumer Products Safety Commission regulate guns.

Chris Dodd
Voted for a 10-year extension of the assault weapons ban. Voted for requiring extensive background checks at gun shows. Supports mandatory trigger locks for handguns. Says he has had a gun in the house during his adult lifetime.

John Edwards
Voted for a 10-year extension of the assault weapons ban. Voted for requiring extensive background checks at gun shows.

Mike Gravel
Supports requiring that potential gun owners be licensed and undergo training before they can own a firearm. Says he has had a gun in the house during his adult lifetime. Has a B rating from the NRA.

Dennis Kucinich
Co-sponsored legislation to extend and strengthen the assault weapons ban. Voted for extensive background check requirement at gun shows. Says he has had a gun in the house during his adult lifetime.

Barack Obama
Supports extending the assault weapons ban. Supports national law against carrying concealed weapons, with exceptions for retired police and military personnel. Supports limiting gun sales to one per month.

Bill Richardson
Opposed the 1994 assault weapons ban, but voted for the crime bill that included it. Later voted to repeal the assault weapons ban. As governor, signed law allowing adults 21 and older who pass background checks and take a gun safety class to carry a concealed weapon. Has a permit to carry a concealed weapon. Says he has had a gun in the house during his adult lifetime. Has an A rating from the NRA.

republicans.gif

Rudy Giuliani
Has supported gun control measures as New York City mayor, but says a person's individual right to bear arms should only be limited for strict Constitutional reasons. As a Senate candidate, supported licensing and registration of handguns and extended background checks at gun shows. As mayor, signed legislation requiring trigger locks for all gun sales. Banned sale of toy guns that resemble real guns. Supported the federal assault weapons ban.

Mike Huckabee
Opposes reauthorization of the assault weapons ban. Opposes mandatory trigger locks for handguns. Opposes waiting periods for gun purchases. Owns a variety of firearms. NRA member. Has a concealed carry permit.

Duncan Hunter
Voted against the 1994 assault weapons ban. Opposed 3-day gun show background check requirement in favor of a 24-hour check. Has an A rating from the NRA

John McCain
Sponsored legislation requiring background checks at gun shows. Voted against a 10-year extension of the assault weapons ban. Opposed legislation requiring trigger locks for handguns. Opposed 1994 crime bill, which contained the assault weapons ban. Has a C+ rating from the NRA.

Ron Paul
Opposed 3-day gun show background check requirement in favor of a 24-hour check.

Mitt Romney
As governor, signed into law a permanent ban on assault weapons. Supported the 1994 federal assault weapons ban. Supported the Brady Bill requiring waiting periods for handgun purchases, but says it is no longer needed due to instantaneous background checks. Joined the NRA as a lifetime member in 2006.

Tom Tancredo
Opposed 3-day gun show background check requirement in favor of a 24-hour check. Has an A rating from the NRA

Fred Thompson
Opposed the 1994 federal assault weapons ban and opposes a 10-year extension of the ban. Opposed 3-day gun show background check requirement in favor of a 24-hour check. Opposes mandatory trigger locks for handguns. Says gun-control measures do not reduce crime.

Toad

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Why am I not suprised that they only listed that RP as opposing one item. They should have said that RP opposed all infringements not just some BS 3 day waiting period.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

RP damned with faint praise in this rogues' gallery that included names I did not expect.

One might expect some philosophical purity, on at least this tiny aspect, of an entity so involved with Presidential politics. But no, compromise is the political way.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator

gr8cal

imported post

National instant criminal background check system (NICS) was put into effect on November 30, 1998. Essentially, the national instant criminal background check system was established in response to the need for mandatory background checks on persons desiring to purchase firearms, otherwise called Federal Firearms License (FFL) holders. The national instant criminal background check system was instituted by the US Attorney General in accordance with the Brady Act, which was passed in November 1993. Basically, the national instant criminal background check system was put into effect so that any person desiring to own a firearm may be looked into more easily. In other words, with the national instant criminal background check system, you may easily determine if someone wanting to own a firearm is prohibited from doing so in accordance to the Gun Control Act of 1968.
However, you should also know that 13 US states have their own agencies working on the part of the national instant criminal background check system in what is referred to as a complete Point Of Contact (POC) faculty. In the said states, FFL holders perform their own background checks by electronically getting into the national instant criminal background check system. After completing the mandated ATF Form 4473, FFL holders transacting firearms business in these states get in touch with an assigned state office to perform a national instant criminal background check system instead of making direct contact with the Section of the national instant criminal background check system of the FBI in West Virginia.
Furthermore, there are 8 US states operating as partial POC states. This means that they work hand in hand with the Section of the national instant criminal background check system. Thesestates have offices assigned to perform background checks for handgun transactions, while the Section of the national instant criminal background check system is in charge of long gun transactions.

I_Hate_Illinois

imported post

Barack Obama supports national legislation prohibiting concealed carry? That is my worst nightmare as I am moving out of Illinois to Kentucky so I can carry concealed. I dont need some bum Shitcago politician enacting a law at the federal level to screw me again. Also, out of curiosity, when has he said that? Anyone got any links?

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

American streets and homes would be safer from crime and terrorism if more people were allowed to carry concealed weapons, Republican U.S. Senate candidate Alan Keyes said Tuesday.

At the same time, Keyes said gun users should submit to training programs much as motorists have to go through driver's education before obtaining a license.

Attacking Democratic Senate candidate Barack Obama for opposing legislation in Springfield that would have allowed people to use self-defense as an argument against conviction under local firearms bans, Keyes said Obama would give "law-abiding citizens ... no opportunity to defend themselves against the criminals."

id="rail-link" The legislation was approved by the General Assembly in the spring, although Obama, a state senator from Chicago, voted against it. Gov. Rod Blagojevich last week vetoed it.

Obama's campaign released a statement saying that the public is better served by restrictions on gun ownership.

"In terms of gun safety laws, if Alan Keyes was truly concerned about public safety, we would suggest that he abandon his long-standing opposition to the federal ban on military-style assault weapons," said Robert Gibbs, a spokesman for Obama.

A Chicago Tribune poll last year found that 62 percent of Illinois voters favored greater gun sales restrictions.

The measure vetoed by Blagojevich was inspired by an incident involving Wilmette resident Hale DeMar who was charged with violating that suburb's gun ban after he shot an intruder in his home last year.

A staunch defender of gun rights who said he owns two handguns, Keyes said many gun accidents could be avoided if people who are going to use guns understand rather than fear them. Keyes argued that more gun ownership by law-abiding people is a proven way to decrease crime.

"Instead of being afraid of defending ourselves, we would do well to follow a course of action that re-educated our people in the means of their self-defense," Keyes said. "And it would, by the way, provide an armed citizenry that would make terrorists think twice and three times before they dared to threaten our people."

"I think it has been proven empirically, that concealed carry laws, allowing law-abiding citizens access to concealed carry actually reduces crime," Keyes said.

In a February survey of Democratic primary candidates for the U.S. Senate by the Tribune, Obama said he opposed allowing ordinary citizens to carry concealed weapons and that a federal law banning concealed carried weapons except for law enforcement is needed.

Though Obama has long been a strong gun control supporter, in March he voted in favor of legislation that would allow retired police officers to carry concealed weapons. The measure, which was opposed by most other Chicago Democrats, did not become law. But Obama's vote helped win him the endorsement of the state chapter of the Fraternal Order of Police.

TEX1N

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
In a February survey of Democratic primary candidates for the U.S. Senate by the Tribune, Obama said he opposed allowing ordinary citizens to carry concealed weapons and that a federal law banning concealed carried weapons except for law enforcement is needed.

Though Obama has long been a strong gun control supporter, in March he voted in favor of legislation that would allow retired police officers to carry concealed weapons. The measure, which was opposed by most other Chicago Democrats, did not become law. But Obama's vote helped win him the endorsement of the state chapter of the Fraternal Order of Police.
Doug, do you have a link for this article? I'd like to email it to a few friends.

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

That is why I won't be voting for Obama because he won't let me protect myself from Osama (like people)!! If he gets into the White House, all of our CWPs will be a thing of the past. Look at how things are in IL, and, especially Chicago. You can look at some of my other post to see how Obama gets under my skin and raises my blood pressure. He definitely will not get my vote, damn it!!:cuss:

2nd Amendment.........Use it..........Or, lose it!!:X

imperialism2024

imported post

color of law wrote:
Which one will keep their word?

I think RP comes in first then FT is second.

The rest I don't trust!!!!
I'd go more by which presidential candidate's position on gun control is consistant with his other positions. Ron Paul's positions on other issues (you know, freedom) will have no conceivable need for more gun control, and really reinforce fewer gun laws. As I've said before, and I'll keep saying, typical GOP policies have no need for 2A rights. Regardless of which social control policy that Republicans find it critical to enforce, gun control may and will be discarded. If anything, a loss for Ron Paul of the Republican nomination will just embolden the GOP to abandon gun owners, realizing that America's gun owners are either too divided to form an opposition, or too stupid to realize that their rights are being slowly stolen from them.

tonyparson

imported post

I'm not a huge fan of CNN, but I found this on their website regarding the presidential candidatess views on various topics. For those of you like me that are concerned with gun control, you certainly need to pay attention to how the candidates stand on this issue. Some of these jokers DO NOT need to be in office. Keep this in mind when you vote. Look at this link:

BarryKirk

Opt-Out Members
imported post

I don't know where CNN is getting their info from. The way they protrayed Ron Paul was as a luke warm gun rights supporter at best.

Did I miss something?

They said the NRA gave Ron Paul a B rating... I don't doubt that the NRA did give Ron Paul a B rating, which tells a lot about how the NRA feels about gun control.

At least the VPC and Brady crowd is a little more honest when it comes to lieing.

I guess the NRA gave Ron Paul a B rating cause he didn't roll over and go with them on passing some of the anti gun legislation designed to "protect the rights of the gun owners"...

I_Hate_Illinois

imported post

tonyparson wrote:
I'm not a huge fan of CNN, but I found this on their website regarding the presidential candidatess views on various topics. For those of you like me that are concerned with gun control, you certainly need to pay attention to how the candidates stand on this issue. Some of these jokers DO NOT need to be in office. Keep this in mind when you vote. Look at this link:

Barack Obama is a piece of shit. Plain and simple. Shitcago city slickster trying to get shitcago style gun control passed nationwide. I pray that it doesn't happen if this douchebag gets elected. I live in Illinois and I am sick and ******* tired of listening to all this bullshit about gun control. #1, the key word there is 'control'. Period. #2, it just doesnt work!!!

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

BarryKirk wrote:
I don't know where CNN is getting their info from. The way they protrayed Ron Paul was as a luke warm gun rights supporter at best.

Did I miss something?

They said the NRA gave Ron Paul a B rating... I don't doubt that the NRA did give Ron Paul a B rating, which tells a lot about how the NRA feels about gun control.

At least the VPC and Brady crowd is a little more honest when it comes to lieing.

I guess the NRA gave Ron Paul a B rating cause he didn't roll over and go with them on passing some of the anti gun legislation designed to "protect the rights of the gun owners"...

Gun control from the right is as evil as gun control from the left and less honest.

IanB

imported post

http://www.barackobama.com/factcheck/2007/12/11/fact_check_no_news_in_obamas_c.php

GUNS REALITY: OBAMA HAS CONSISTENTLY SUPPORTED COMMON SENSE GUN CONTROL, AS WELL AS THE RIGHTS OF LAW-ABIDING GUN OWNERS
Obama Supported A Package Of Legislation That Would Limit Handgun Sales To One A Month. ''The package closes the Firearm Owners Identification (FOID) card loopholes which resulted in the shooting out in Melrose Park. We're eliminating 17 specific assault weapons. There is no reason why anybody should need an assault weapon to protect themselves or their family,' Obama said. 'We're limiting handgun sales to one a month. 'We're calling for handgun registration. It's very hard right now to track whether or not a felon has turned in his weapons or if he has a FOID card because we don't know how many weapons he has purchased.'" [Chicago Defender, 2/20/01]
Obama Voted To Prohibit Multiple Sales Of Handguns Within A 30-Day Period. In 2003, Obama voted to create the offense of unlawful acquisition of handguns, prohibiting the multiple sales of handguns within a 30-day period. In 2000, Obama was co-sponsor of bill prohibiting the transfer of more than one handgun within a 30-day period. The bill exempted federally licensed firearm dealers who purchase handguns in the regular course of business, military, law enforcement officials and certain hunters. [93rd GA, HB 2579, 5/16/03, 3R L; 23-36-0; 91st GA; SB 1614; 2000]
Obama Disagreed With The NRA That "People Should Be Unimpeded And Unregulated On Gun Ownership;" In Favor Of Handgun Registration And Licensing Requirements. Obama said, "I know that the NRA believes people should be unimpeded and unregulated on gun ownership. I disagree. I do not object to the lawful use and ownership of firearms, but I do think it is entirely it appropriate for the state to monitor it. Too many of these guns end up in the hands of criminals even though they were originally purchased by people who did not have a felony. I'll continue to be in favor of handgun law registration requirements and licensing requirements for training." [Chicago Defender, 7/5/01]
Obama: America Has A "Tradition Of Gun Ownership In This Country That Can Be Respected." The Weekly Standard reported, "When a student asks Obama for his views on the Second Amendment, he reminds his audience that he taught constitutional law at the University of Chicago and is thus familiar with the arguments regarding the right to bear arms. He acknowledges 'a tradition of gun ownership in this country that can be respected,' and says that his academic studies convinced him gun ownership 'is an individual right and not just the right of a militia.' But he was not finished. 'Like all rights, though, they are constrained by the needs and the rights of the community.' Obama then spoke of 34 students who were killed on the streets of Chicago and called for sensible gun control to prevent senseless death. He speaks of the importance of parental involvement in education before listing the many ways in which he would expand the role of the federal government in the schools."

uncoolx2

imported post

I think the GOA does a WAY better job of describing the 2A positions of the candidates.

http://gunowners.org/pres08/

Pretty much... like the safety locks IIRC.