Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Flagstaff public library posted "no weapons".

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Kirkland, Washington, USA
    Posts
    425

    Post imported post

    I'm visiting the Flagstaff area to see family over the holidays. I had the opportunity to check some books out from the public library (on a relatives account) but noticed that the building is posted "no weapons" at the entrance. Is this legal? I know that in Washington they cannot prevent you from bringing a legally carried weapon into the library and would assume it's the same in Arizona.

    One thing that's unrelated, but that I just have to mention is how much I hate the law against carrying in business that serve alcohol. That makes pretty much every restaruant off limits. However, I openly carried in Bun Huggers the other day and didn't get hauled off. I thought only the bar nextdoor served alcohol, but when I went back yesterday I realized they do serve beer there. Good thing the locals don't spook easily.

  2. #2
    Regular Member azcdlfred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    907

    Post imported post

    Cue-Ball wrote:
    I'm visiting the Flagstaff area to see family over the holidays. I had the opportunity to check some books out from the public library (on a relatives account) but noticed that the building is posted "no weapons" at the entrance. Is this legal? I know that in Washington they cannot prevent you from bringing a legally carried weapon into the library and would assume it's the same in Arizona.
    Back in 2000, Arizona passed a law allowing public (i.e. gov't) buildings to ban weapons and they had to provide storage. The law was full of loopholes and storage usually meant the cops were called to take your gun to the local cop shop.

    In 2006 we (AzCDL) got the law revised so that when they post thatJim Crow"we don't serve your kind here" (i.e. no weapons) sign, they must provide onsite storage that is immediately accessible on leaving. Over a year later, some municipalities and agencies are balking at the law, but many more are adding storage lockers. The smart ones are taking down the stupid sign because they're finding it expensive to provide storage. Hopefully you found storage lockers when you were there?

    By the way, we also got a bill passed whereby Arizona recognizes all permits from all states. I don't know if AZ recognized your WA permit prior to that, but they do now (as long as you are not a resident of AZ).

    Fred

  3. #3
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766

    Post imported post

    azcdlfred wrote:
    SNIP The smart ones are taking down the stupid sign because they're finding it expensive to provide storage.
    What a great idea! Have the law require very secure, and thus expensive storage! Then make sure there is a lot of storage. (You never know when there is going to be an AZCDL or OCDO meeting at a public building. Gotta have at least, oh, 50 lockers.)
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    1,098

    Post imported post

    azcdlfred wrote:
    Cue-Ball wrote:
    I'm visiting the Flagstaff area to see family over the holidays. I had the opportunity to check some books out from the public library (on a relatives account) but noticed that the building is posted "no weapons" at the entrance. Is this legal? I know that in Washington they cannot prevent you from bringing a legally carried weapon into the library and would assume it's the same in Arizona.
    Back in 2000, Arizona passed a law allowing public (i.e. gov't) buildings to ban weapons and they had to provide storage. The law was full of loopholes and storage usually meant the cops were called to take your gun to the local cop shop.

    In 2006 we (AzCDL) got the law revised so that when they post thatJim Crow"we don't serve your kind here" (i.e. no weapons) sign, they must provide onsite storage that is immediately accessible on leaving. Over a year later, some municipalities and agencies are balking at the law, but many more are adding storage lockers. The smart ones are taking down the stupid sign because they're finding it expensive to provide storage. Hopefully you found storage lockers when you were there?

    By the way, we also got a bill passed whereby Arizona recognizes all permits from all states. I don't know if AZ recognized your WA permit prior to that, but they do now (as long as you are not a resident of AZ).

    Fred
    How does this work for people from Vermont or Alaska? I would presume that as a citizen of VermontI still can't carry concealed in Arizona without a permit from Arizona or a thirdstate?

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona, U.S.
    Posts
    625

    Post imported post

    Citizen wrote:
    azcdlfred wrote:
    SNIP The smart ones are taking down the stupid sign because they're finding it expensive to provide storage.
    What a great idea! Have the law require very secure, and thus expensive storage! Then make sure there is a lot of storage. (You never know when there is going to be an AZCDL or OCDO meeting at a public building. Gotta have at least, oh, 50 lockers.)
    What about long guns? They are legal to open carry. What is the library going to do for storage when you want to check out some hunting books but don't want to separate yourself from your rifle? I have to say it is a funny thought to see what would happen if you walked into Fry's grocery store with a shotgun. Any volunteers?



  6. #6
    Regular Member azcdlfred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    907

    Post imported post

    PavePusher wrote:
    azcdlfred wrote:
    By the way, we also got a bill passed whereby Arizona recognizes all permits from all states. I don't know if AZ recognized your WA permit prior to that, but they do now (as long as you are not a resident of AZ).
    How does this work for people from Vermont or Alaska? I would presume that as a citizen of VermontI still can't carry concealed in Arizona without a permit from Arizona or a thirdstate?
    Unless you have a permit, you're screwed - but we're working on it. Last year,we drafted some language to allow Vermont and Alaska residents to carry, but the bill never got a sponsor. It's not on this year's slate of bills because we have some other CCW reforms we want to deal with.

    Meanwhile, if you're not an AZ resident either get an AZ permit or a permit from one of the more enlightened states that don't have Arizona's onerous requirements. PA, IN, WA and others have no training requirments. UT is easy to get. FL, VA, WV and a couple of other states allow for DD-214's and "any" NRA class to get a permit.

    To keep abreast of the bills we're expecting to be filed, I recommend you subscribe to our Alerts. Better yet, Join AzCDLand become part of the fight.

    Fred


  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Kirkland, Washington, USA
    Posts
    425

    Post imported post

    Thanks for the info, Fred. I didn't notice any lockers or any signage concerning them. I'm back home in Washington now, so I can't go back to check or ask. When I went it was cold out so I was wearing a jacket and was concealed. Frankly, in cases such as this I'd rather break the rules, conceal my weapon and remain armed. Even though I live in Washington, it's nice to hear guys like you are fighting the good fight down in Arizona.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    1,098

    Post imported post

    azcdlfred wrote:
    PavePusher wrote:
    azcdlfred wrote:
    By the way, we also got a bill passed whereby Arizona recognizes all permits from all states. I don't know if AZ recognized your WA permit prior to that, but they do now (as long as you are not a resident of AZ).
    How does this work for people from Vermont or Alaska? I would presume that as a citizen of VermontI still can't carry concealed in Arizona without a permit from Arizona or a thirdstate?
    Unless you have a permit, you're screwed - but we're working on it. Last year,we drafted some language to allow Vermont and Alaska residents to carry, but the bill never got a sponsor. It's not on this year's slate of bills because we have some other CCW reforms we want to deal with.

    Meanwhile, if you're not an AZ resident either get an AZ permit or a permit from one of the more enlightened states that don't have Arizona's onerous requirements. PA, IN, WA and others have no training requirments. UT is easy to get. FL, VA, WV and a couple of other states allow for DD-214's and "any" NRA class to get a permit.

    To keep abreast of the bills we're expecting to be filed, I recommend you subscribe to our Alerts. Better yet, Join AzCDLand become part of the fight.

    Fred
    That's what I thought. I am currently carrying on a Utah non-res permit, will be getting an AZ permit ASAP, now that I actually have a gun and the major hollidays are over (I live here now via USAF). Also have a NH permit under way, so I'll be covered for the places I travel to most frequently. Also joined AZCDL a few months ago, but am still registered to vote in Vermont, so I don't know if that will help anyone.

  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Laveen, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    432

    Post imported post

    Phoenix Public Library(at least the branch near me) also has the 'No Firearms Allowed, Please Check Firearms at the Desk' sign.

  10. #10
    Regular Member azcdlfred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    907

    Post imported post

    Also joined AZCDL a few months ago, but am still registered to vote in Vermont, so I don't know if that will help anyone.
    Thanks for joining! Even as a Vermont resident, your voice helps! Last year we were half our current size and were able to shut down the email servers at the Capitol. This year we are expecting some controversial bills to be filed and we want them to feel the heat.

    Fred

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •