• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Flagstaff public library posted "no weapons".

Cue-Ball

imported post

I'm visiting the Flagstaff area to see family over the holidays. I had the opportunity to check some books out from the public library (on a relatives account) but noticed that the building is posted "no weapons" at the entrance. Is this legal? I know that in Washington they cannot prevent you from bringing a legally carried weapon into the library and would assume it's the same in Arizona.

One thing that's unrelated, but that I just have to mention is how much I hate the law against carrying in business that serve alcohol. That makes pretty much every restaruant off limits. However, I openly carried in Bun Huggers the other day and didn't get hauled off. I thought only the bar nextdoor served alcohol, but when I went back yesterday I realized they do serve beer there. Good thing the locals don't spook easily. :lol:

azcdlfred

imported post

Cue-Ball wrote:
I'm visiting the Flagstaff area to see family over the holidays. I had the opportunity to check some books out from the public library (on a relatives account) but noticed that the building is posted "no weapons" at the entrance. Is this legal? I know that in Washington they cannot prevent you from bringing a legally carried weapon into the library and would assume it's the same in Arizona.
Back in 2000, Arizona passed a law allowing public (i.e. gov't) buildings to ban weapons and they had to provide storage. The law was full of loopholes and storage usually meant the cops were called to take your gun to the local cop shop.

In 2006 we (AzCDL) got the law revised so that when they post thatJim Crow"we don't serve your kind here" (i.e. no weapons) sign, they must provide onsite storage that is immediately accessible on leaving. Over a year later, some municipalities and agencies are balking at the law, but many more are adding storage lockers. The smart ones are taking down the stupid sign because they're finding it expensive to provide storage. Hopefully you found storage lockers when you were there?

By the way, we also got a bill passed whereby Arizona recognizes all permits from all states. I don't know if AZ recognized your WA permit prior to that, but they do now (as long as you are not a resident of AZ).

Fred

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

azcdlfred wrote:
SNIP The smart ones are taking down the stupid sign because they're finding it expensive to provide storage.
What a great idea! Have the law require very secure, and thus expensive storage! Then make sure there is a lot of storage. (You never know when there is going to be an AZCDL or OCDO meeting at a public building. Gotta have at least, oh, 50 lockers.) :)

PavePusher

imported post

azcdlfred wrote:
Cue-Ball wrote:
Back in 2000, Arizona passed a law allowing public (i.e. gov't) buildings to ban weapons and they had to provide storage. The law was full of loopholes and storage usually meant the cops were called to take your gun to the local cop shop.

In 2006 we (AzCDL) got the law revised so that when they post thatJim Crow"we don't serve your kind here" (i.e. no weapons) sign, they must provide onsite storage that is immediately accessible on leaving. Over a year later, some municipalities and agencies are balking at the law, but many more are adding storage lockers. The smart ones are taking down the stupid sign because they're finding it expensive to provide storage. Hopefully you found storage lockers when you were there?

By the way, we also got a bill passed whereby Arizona recognizes all permits from all states. I don't know if AZ recognized your WA permit prior to that, but they do now (as long as you are not a resident of AZ).

Fred
How does this work for people from Vermont or Alaska? I would presume that as a citizen of VermontI still can't carry concealed in Arizona without a permit from Arizona or a thirdstate?

protector84

imported post

Citizen wrote:
azcdlfred wrote:
SNIP The smart ones are taking down the stupid sign because they're finding it expensive to provide storage.
What a great idea! Have the law require very secure, and thus expensive storage! Then make sure there is a lot of storage. (You never know when there is going to be an AZCDL or OCDO meeting at a public building. Gotta have at least, oh, 50 lockers.) :)

What about long guns? They are legal to open carry. What is the library going to do for storage when you want to check out some hunting books but don't want to separate yourself from your rifle? :lol:I have to say it is a funny thought to see what would happen if you walked into Fry's grocery store with a shotgun. Any volunteers? :lol:

azcdlfred

imported post

PavePusher wrote:
azcdlfred wrote:
How does this work for people from Vermont or Alaska? I would presume that as a citizen of VermontI still can't carry concealed in Arizona without a permit from Arizona or a thirdstate?
Unless you have a permit, you're screwed - but we're working on it. Last year,we drafted some language to allow Vermont and Alaska residents to carry, but the bill never got a sponsor. It's not on this year's slate of bills because we have some other CCW reforms we want to deal with.

Meanwhile, if you're not an AZ resident either get an AZ permit or a permit from one of the more enlightened states that don't have Arizona's onerous requirements. PA, IN, WA and others have no training requirments. UT is easy to get. FL, VA, WV and a couple of other states allow for DD-214's and "any" NRA class to get a permit.

To keep abreast of the bills we're expecting to be filed, I recommend you subscribe to our Alerts. Better yet, Join AzCDLand become part of the fight.

Fred

Cue-Ball

imported post

Thanks for the info, Fred. I didn't notice any lockers or any signage concerning them. I'm back home in Washington now, so I can't go back to check or ask. When I went it was cold out so I was wearing a jacket and was concealed. Frankly, in cases such as this I'd rather break the rules, conceal my weapon and remain armed. Even though I live in Washington, it's nice to hear guys like you are fighting the good fight down in Arizona.

PavePusher

imported post

azcdlfred wrote:
PavePusher wrote:
azcdlfred wrote:
Unless you have a permit, you're screwed - but we're working on it. Last year,we drafted some language to allow Vermont and Alaska residents to carry, but the bill never got a sponsor. It's not on this year's slate of bills because we have some other CCW reforms we want to deal with.

Meanwhile, if you're not an AZ resident either get an AZ permit or a permit from one of the more enlightened states that don't have Arizona's onerous requirements. PA, IN, WA and others have no training requirments. UT is easy to get. FL, VA, WV and a couple of other states allow for DD-214's and "any" NRA class to get a permit.

To keep abreast of the bills we're expecting to be filed, I recommend you subscribe to our Alerts. Better yet, Join AzCDLand become part of the fight.

Fred
That's what I thought. I am currently carrying on a Utah non-res permit, will be getting an AZ permit ASAP, now that I actually have a gun and the major hollidays are over (I live here now via USAF). Also have a NH permit under way, so I'll be covered for the places I travel to most frequently. Also joined AZCDL a few months ago, but am still registered to vote in Vermont, so I don't know if that will help anyone. ;)

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Phoenix Public Library(at least the branch near me) also has the 'No Firearms Allowed, Please Check Firearms at the Desk' sign.

azcdlfred

imported post

Also joined AZCDL a few months ago, but am still registered to vote in Vermont, so I don't know if that will help anyone. ;)
Thanks for joining! Even as a Vermont resident, your voice helps! Last year we were half our current size and were able to shut down the email servers at the Capitol. This year we are expecting some controversial bills to be filed and we want them to feel the heat.

Fred