• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What not to say in a gun store

revis_jonathan

State Researcher
imported post

I went to my local gun store and got to talking randomly to one of the clerks. He said a while ago some guy and his friend came into the store and went up to the counter. He said that the guy with his friend by his side states to the clerk," Give me all your money!"

In a blinkthe guy has a .45 pointed at his chest. His friend backs up and says," hey man theycarry guns in here!" The guy then proclaims it was a joke. Needless to say the clerk tells him what he thinks of his joke and describes how close the guy was to getting his head blown off, basically.

These two guys never returned to the store. To this day the clerk still doesn't know if it was a joke or not, but he wasn't taking chances. I know this guy pretty good from shopping there and I know he would not have drawn on the guy if he thought it was a joke. There's just somethings you don't say in a gun store or any store for that matter.

I just thought I would share this.

Legba

imported post

Speaking of which... a guy came in the shop here recently asking about our cameras and alarms and such. I laughed in disbelief that anyone would imagine that I would be willing to discuss such security arrangements with them. This guy did notice that I was "packing" and didn't pursue the line of questioning, but I had to wonder whether he was joking or not. I made sure I had a suitably conspicuous BFG for a back-up after that.

-ljp

kurtmax_0

imported post

Sounds to me like they were fishing. The person asking to give him your money most likely wasn't joking... until he had a firearm pointed at him.

It's not uncommon for thugs to 'test' people to see if they are easy targets or not. When they realize it's not going to be a walk in the park they say how they are 'joking' and such.

I would have called the police and filed a report. Such behavior is illegal in most states. And if they really were joking, well they should learn how stupid it is to joke like that from the courts, not a slug.

VAopencarry

imported post

Sounds like BS to me. If the 'robber' posed no threat, like he didn't have a weapon!! why draw your gun? If he thought the comment was serious enough to draw his weapon why not call the police? It was, in his mind, an attemtped robbery right?People in gun stores, both sides of the counter, say a lot of stupid things. Sounds like a Tactical Tommy gun store employee story/BS.

AbNo

imported post

Of course, if the clerk just heard someone yelling "Give me all your money!", and wasn't looking, I can see this as being perfectly reasonable.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

AbNo wrote:
Of course, if the clerk just heard someone yelling "Give me all your money!", and wasn't looking, I can see this as being perfectly reasonable.

Yes, if the clerk had his back turned just at the moment the demand was given, I can see him coming around with a gun in his hand.

I wouldn't advise it, but I can see it.

AbNo

imported post

I wouldn't advise it either, but I might do it as a reflex in the same situation.

The only difference between the OP and "Fire!" in a crowded theater is, the one being stupid would've had immediate corrective action applied, as opposed to potentially getting away with it.

*que comment about the clerk getting in legal trouble*

Fisherman48768

imported post

Everytime I take my wife or grand daughters shopping they always say "Give me your money" I haven't felt a need to draw on them yet but I may as the kids get older and more expensive.

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Fisherman48768 wrote:
Everytime I take my wife or grand daughters shopping they always say "Give me your money" I haven't felt a need to draw on them yet but I may as the kids get older and more expensive.

:quirkySlightly different scenario here, man. No less topical, though: feminists say marriage is legalized rape, while any divorcee will tell you it's legalized grand larceny.

Seriously, yelling "give me all your money" to a store clerk is no joke. The clerk is well within his rights, especially if sanctioned by his employer, tocarry a gun for self-defense, defense ofhis place of business, and defense of his clientele.I've never yetseen a gun store where the employees weren't strapped openly. A statement like that made in a gun store WILL result in gray matter formerly belonging to the would-be jokesterhitting the back wall. That's a Darwin Award if I ever heard of one.

In fact, I believe there was a Darwin Award to that effect. ...Yes, there was:
Thirty-three-year-old David Zaback entered H&J Leather & Firearms Ltd. at approximately 4:40 in the afternoon brandishing a .38-caliber semiautomatic handgun and announced his intention to rob the store. He threatened to shoot anyone who got in his way.
Having apparently failed to notice the police car parked in front of the gun shop when he walked in, Zaback found himself confronted by a uniformed officer and an armed clerk, who ordered him to drop his gun. Zaback opened fire instead, drawing a fatal volley of shots from the clerk and the policeman, both of whom survived the shootout unharmed.
According to the county medical examiner, Zaback was shot a total of four times and died a few hours later in the emergency room. "Several" armed patrons also drew weapons, the Times confirms, but none actually fired on Zaback, contrary to the version of events given in the email. It was later determined that the clerk, whose weapon was a 10mm semiautomatic pistol, fired the fatal shot.

tarzan1888

imported post

The First Amendment does NOT allow you to yell "Fire" in a crowded theater, and I think that it also does NOT allow you to yell "Give me all your money" to a store clerk or a bank teller. :)

Tarzan

ijusam

imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
The First Amendment does NOT allow you to yell "Fire" in a crowded theater, and think that it also does NOT allow you to yell "Give me all your money" to a store clerk or a bank teller. :)

Tarzan

yes it does, but you had better be prepared to face the consequences. Which may be none if there actually is a fire. If you do yell fire in a crowded theater and there is no fire, do you get arrested for illegal speech? No. Inciting a riot, reckless endangerment, perhaps even murder if someone dies. Too bad being stupid isn’t against the law, you could charge them with that too.

cmg266

imported post

I have been in several gun stores, which I am sure most of you have as well. I honestly think in every single store I went to 100% of the employees were OC a gun, 100% of them. Thats just the dumbest thing ever. I bet those two guys went and yelled "BOMB!" on an airplane too right?

tarzan1888

imported post

cmg266 wrote:
I have been in several gun stores, which I am sure most of you have as well. I honestly think in every single store I went to 100% of the employees were OC a gun, 100% of them. Thats just the dumbest thing ever. I bet those two guys went and yelled "BOMB!" on an airplane too right?

I worked with a guy once, way back in the 1970's, He had traveled to Denver on business and as they were about to fly back to Texas, the airline announced that they were over booked and wondered if some of the passengers would take money to give up their seat. The airline would put them up over night in a motel and they could fly in the morning.

He was not pressed for time and so he took them up on their offer. As he was about to leave he asked where his bag was, as he did not bring a carry on and wanted to freshen up that night and in the morning. They told him that his bag was on the plane and he would have to do without that night.

he really wanted his bag and insisted that they get it for him, but they kindly refused. In response to their refusal he said, "Well I hope that the bomb in my suit case doesn't go off."

Not a wise thing to say in an airport. He spend the night in jail and it took the company lawyer's best efforts to keep him out of federal prison.

Tarzan

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

revis_jonathan wrote:
I went to my local gun store and got to talking randomly to one of the clerks. He said a while ago some guy and his friend came into the store and went up to the counter. He said that the guy with his friend by his side states to the clerk," Give me all your money!"

In a blinkthe guy has a .45 pointed at his chest. His friend backs up and says," hey man theycarry guns in here!" The guy then proclaims it was a joke. Needless to say the clerk tells him what he thinks of his joke and describes how close the guy was to getting his head blown off, basically.

These two guys never returned to the store. To this day the clerk still doesn't know if it was a joke or not, but he wasn't taking chances. I know this guy pretty good from shopping there and I know he would not have drawn on the guy if he thought it was a joke. There's just somethings you don't say in a gun store or any store for that matter.

I just thought I would share this.

Sometimes, the most important lesson will be the one you never get a chance to learn.

Don't be stupid with guns, you might end up dead.

spurrit

imported post

Oh, OK, so the thugs that corner people and ask to "Borrow" some money, or who try their best to be physically imposing while they "jokingly" demand money have a pass? How the hell am I to know the difference?

Get your head out of your liberal butt.

casullshooter

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
Sounds like BS to me. If the 'robber' posed no threat, like he didn't have a weapon!! why draw your gun? If he thought the comment was serious enough to draw his weapon why not call the police? It was, in his mind, an attemtped robbery right?People in gun stores, both sides of the counter, say a lot of stupid things. Sounds like a Tactical Tommy gun store employee story/BS.
He could have the weapon in his pocket or behind his back/waistband. Should the clerk wait until HE is facing a gun to react?

b1ack5mith

imported post

the guy who said GIVE ME YOUR MONEY was lucky he wasnt shot on the spot, the clerk would have probably gotten off the hook too

SlackwareRobert

imported post

But let Al Gore say the same thing, and they don't do a thing. It is this double standard that I can't abide by.

Had a friend comment that he only had his machine gun in the bag, and I
quitely moved away from him.

Myself I had the insiders view in Heathrow when my carryon went through
the X-ray. When I looked up at the screen I saw the 2 grenades,
they were faceted lead crystal atomizers for my mother, but they looked
like them to me also.

David.Car

imported post

cmg266 wrote:
I have been in several gun stores, which I am sure most of you have as well. I honestly think in every single store I went to 100% of the employees were OC a gun, 100% of them.
Unfortunately not here in Spokane. Some stores yes, some no. We have a store/range that is the only range in the middle of town and the only truely public one (2 gun clubs on outskirts of town) that has a large sign on the door (red and shaped like a stop sign) saying guns are only allowed in their cases.

While this policy has changed and they do allow CC, there still is no OC in the store and the employees seem to abide by that... Although I am positive most are CC...