• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Which is the best "Ladies" gun?

Which gun caliber(s) should I get my girlfriend?

• 17HMR

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 22LR

• 22 Mag

• 25 auto

• 32 auto

• 380 auto

• 9mm auto

• 38 spl or 357 mag

• 40 SW

• 45 ACP or GAP

• Total voters

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

There aremore than a fewreplies here advocating a wheelgun of some sort. I would tend to agree in principle that when it just has to work you want a revolver; with a sixer, there quite simply is no such thing as a failure to feed, eject or cycle, and a failure to fire is solved with another pull of the trigger; the only failure that stops you cold is a squib. In addition, guns of similar frame/grip size generally don't have much more capacity than a revolver would.

However there are some caveats. A snubby is best concealed either in a jacket pocket or in a handbag. Either way, she must never fail to ensure that the revolver is the only thing in there. A pen, pencil, lipstick or mascara, if it makes its way into the trigger guard, can lever the trigger and result in an UD. Similarly, a "pocket rocket" 9mmor "mousegun" 380 or 32 could have the same problem, but those are easier to conceal in pants pockets or other deep concealment measures. It all comes down to how she plans to carry.

As far as caliber, I personally would not go under .380 for defensive purposes, and really nothing less than 9mm if she can easily conceal it (though a Bersa Thunder 380 or Walther PPK is good for deep concealment). Smaller rounds like 32ACP quite simply do not do enough damage to quickly incapacitate an attacker, anything under 32ACP cannot be used to qualify for a CHL, and rimfires like .22s are cheap for a very good reason. I have not yet had a 9mm cartridge fail to fire in over 850 rounds through my Ruger P95 which is my main defense gun. When christening my new Buckmark .22LRI had 2 duds (the pin marked em good and they simply did not fire), 3 squibs (they didn't lodge in the barrel but the gun just barely cycled)and 2 failures to lock back (not enough oomph to hit slide lock). This is not a track record you want in a defensive pistol.Luckily the Buckmark is a paper puncher and can plinker only.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Liko81 wrote:
SNIP.... and rimfires like .22s are cheap for a very good reason. I have not yet had a 9mm cartridge fail to fire in over 850 rounds through my Ruger P95 which is my main defense gun. When christening my new Buckmark .22LRI had 2 duds (the pin marked em good and they simply did not fire), 3 squibs (they didn't lodge in the barrel but the gun just barely cycled)and 2 failures to lock back (not enough oomph to hit slide lock). This is not a track record you want in a defensive pistol.Luckily the Buckmark is a paper puncher and can plinker only.
You know what the funny thing is. I have a Wilson Combat .22LR conversion kit for my Kimber Custom Tactical, and the gun, so far, has functioned 100% with .22LR, while I've had two FTF's with the .45 slide in place. This is in the course of about 2K rounds of .22 and about 700 rounds of .45. (Both of the FTF's in .45 were with the same brand of widemouthed JHP, and I have since switched to a different brand of carry ammo that doesn't have any feeding problems in the gun.) Does that mean I should carry it with the .22 slide on it, loaded with CCI Stingers???? (Since it's more reliable that way?)

Yodaforce

imported post

I baught my wife the Bersa Thunder .380. Fits her small grip perfectly. She said the Glock compact was too short. The only drawback is 7 shot cap. But heck, that's what I'm for, backup.

Euromutt

imported post

I don't think there's such a thing as the best "ladies' gun" any more than there is such a thing as the best man's gun. One lady friend of mine CCs a Walther P99 subcompact in .40S&W, and also owns a P99QA in 9mm Para, a SIG P232, and Ruger GP100; another CCs a G27, and also owns a BHP in 9mm, a BHP in .40, and a Super Redhawk. Yet another lady friend of mine used to (and maybe still does) shoot a 1911 in .45 ACP. My sister-in-law-in-law (my B-I-L's wife) is a fairly diminutive lady of Chinese descent, whose weapons of choice are, I believe, a G26 and an M1 carbine (with a shortened stock).

My advice would be to check out this website: Cornered Cat, written by a lady who goes by the handle "Pax" on TFL and THR. She has some of the best advice on handgun and holster selection for women I've read.

Short answer, though, if you're going to be buying the lady one gun which will have to function both as training and self-defense weapon (at least initially), I'd advise you to start by looking at semi-autos in 9mm Para and revolvers in .357 Magnum (but load them, at least initially, with .38 Spl, with an eye to working up to .38 Spl+P or even .357 Mag later on). Try to achieve a balance between concealability and controllability; I would suggest something in the order of a Glock 19 or Ruger SP101. But note that should be your starting point; don't restrict yourself to those calibers.

Glockster27

imported post

The weapon of choice is really up to her and her alone. If you pick one out for her and she doesn't like it (for any reason), it doesn't do either of you any good. Bring her to a gun shop or show and let her pick her own out.

My wife carries a Glock 26 (9MM) sub-compact. She loves it and is very accurate with it. I have no complaints with her choice.

Euromutt

imported post

Glockster27 wrote:
The weapon of choice is really up to her and her alone. [...] Bring her to a gun shop or show and let her pick her own out.
Absolutely. So to qualify my last post, when I said "I'd advise you to start by looking at semi-autos in 9mm Para and revolvers in .357 Magnum," what I meant was "I'd advise you to start by taking her to look at semi-autos in 9mm Para and revolvers in .357 Magnum" so she can get an idea of what she might work for her.

R.Ph. 380

imported post

Bought a Bersa 380 CC thinking the smaller size would fit her hand better, ........She prefers the Glock 26. Go Figure

Bill

dave_in_delaware

imported post

My fiancee handles AND shoots her XD-9 subbie VERY well.Actually, she handles and shootsit better than I shoot my XD-9 service. She always has better-looking (i.e. tighter group, way fewer"misses," etc)targets than I do after a trip to the range.

Eeyore

imported post

It has to be this one:

IMG_0095.jpg
index.php
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=4543.0

:cool:
Edit: repair photo link

FightingGlock19

imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
I dunno about you guys, but my woman likes 'em "big"

n25511434_34138871_8320.jpg

har har har ;)

the rifle's too low making for a screwed up cheekweld (cheekweld sucks on folders, anyway, I know I've got a side-folder).

My wife's shot both of the AKM's I've got & she love's 'em, too :celebrate

hirundo82

imported post

Liko81 wrote:
anything under 32ACP cannot be used to qualify for a CHL
That's only a Texas thing as far as I can tell, to keep someone from bringing in a 22lr target pistol to qualify.

To put my reply to the OP in context, I'm a male.

As far as what gun to get for a woman, you are getting good advice about letting her choose. Going to a gun store so that she can see what feels good in her hands is a great idea, and if you can rent a possibility or 2, even better.

Knowing if she plans to carry or just use it as a HD gun is important, and how she plans to carry if that is the plan. Alarger gun may be better for HD because of decreased recoil, and smaller is usually better for CC--of course if she wants to OC small size is not as much of a consideration.

In regards to revolvers--

J-frame type .38 specials are often recommended, but these can discourage practice due to recoil, and of course having a gun with which you can hit your target is the most important consideration--a hit with a 22lr is better than a miss with a 45ACP.

I think men often recommend a revolver out of sexism, under the impression that women want something that is mechanically simple. While this is undoubtedly true for some women (and some men), an autoloader is just not that difficult to operate, plus it is not just men who are mechanically adept. Another reason stated is being unable to work the slide--this is a valid concern for some (mostly due to medical conditions) but much of the time can be overcome with practice and proper technique.

I like a couple of suggestions made so far. I know lots of women who like the Glock 19; women seem to have fewer problems with the finger grooves than men (skinnier fingers). The Sig P225 is also a good suggestion--a reliable single stack (fewer problems with smaller hands) in a respectable caliber (9mm), currently available at a great price ($260+shipping and FFL)

Joe Sixpack

imported post

revis_jonathan wrote:
My girl friend wants a gun and I would like to get her one, but I really don't know whatshe wouldprefer. She really doesn't like large hi-recoil calibers so I was thinking maybe a 380 auto Bersa.
well let her shoot a 9mm if she can handle one then go with that.. i would'nt go with anything bigger.. and not because she's a lady but because i (A MAN, checks pants, yup a man) actually feel 9mm is pound for pound the best handgun caliber out there, not the most powerful mind you i said pound for pound taking all things into consideration.

if she has a little trouble or dont like it.. then i say go with a .380 the bersa has a great reputation and would be my 1st suggestion as well i dont think you can go wrong with that gun, it's well built and priced reasonable.

if she likes wheel guns better then 38spl might be the ticket.

i've yet to meet a healthy woman that could not handle a .380 or 38spl..
but any gun is better then none and if she still can't handle either of those.. there is always the trusty .22lr.. it is not the most powerful obviously.. but make no mistake a .22lr will kill.. and at close range even from a pistol can penetrate the skull..

get some cci stingers and you have potent (realativly speaking for a .22lr) gun you can concela easily.

i've heard the saying a .22lr handgun is like a single shot of buckshot.. make'em count and fire'em all at once..

that said no one wants to be shot with any gun.. especially 6-10 times.
any gun is better then none.

Sean

imported post

One of the negatives I see here a lot about revolvers is the trigger pull...This can be fixed by a gunsmith or anyone capable of changing the spring. How many of you semi auto shooters are shooting the gun off the shelf with no tweaking or polishing of feed ramps etc.?? My 686 has a 1.6 pound trigger in single action and somewhere between 5 and 6 in DA.

Buy the gun you want for fit, form, and function, then get it tuned for what you want once you know what it does or doesn't do for you.

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

revis_jonathan wrote:
My girl friend wants a gun and I would like to get her one, but I really don't know whatshe wouldprefer.

Sorry I am so late entering my $.02.

After reading your post I think she would be best served by getting her some lessons first....she has enough mass to handle a 45ACP with no issues. She just might not know it....

In any event, this is an old post that I have reused many times. I hope it helps...

Working on the backside of a counter at a gun store I am constantly being asked “What is the best handgun for self defense?” or “What gun should I buy for concealed carry?”

After a bit of thought I have come to the following simplifications…

When you are looking for a handgun there are only three things you need to consider:

Form, Fit and Function

Form – Do you want a revolver or a semi-automatic.

Revolver – Low capacity (fewer shots before you need to reload), Low maintenance (fewer parts to break and easier to clean), High reliability (will go bang when you need it). If you pull the trigger on a revolver and it does not go bang, you just pull the trigger again. If you pull the trigger on a semi-auto and it does not go bang you have some work to do to put the gun back in an operational state. Some easy, some not, but all take time and you might not have the time available to you at that particular moment

I used to fix peoples PCs at work and I ran into two mentalities. The first was “What did I do to break it? What did you do to fix it? Can you make it bigger? Better? Faster? Stronger? Where is my next software upgrade? Where is my next hardware upgrade?” and so on…. The other mentality was “I don’t care. Just fix it. I need it to do my job so make it do what I need it to do. Don’t explain it to me. I do not care and would not understand anyway. Just make it work and don’t bother me with the details.”

What does this have to do with handgun selection? Well those who have the “bigger better” mentality tend to be males leaning toward a semi-auto. Those who have the “just make it work” mentality tend to be females leaning toward revolvers, but this is true only about 51% of the time. Just a bit more than half the time and it gives a place to start.

However, if you are a male that likes revolvers or a female that likes semi-autos don’t think yourself odd. You are in the minority, but not by much.

Fit – It has to fit in your hand. It should feel good to hold onto almost as if the grip of the gun was molded just for you. If it does not, put it back. Buying it will not make it feel any better. How many things have you bought in your life that you thought you could use and when you get them home you set them down and never pick them up again because they really don’t ‘fit’ you. Yet you have your coffee cup, your scissors, your letter opener, your stapler, your chair, your knife, your tools, your pen, your pencil, your car, your room, all because they ‘fit’ you and all because they fit your life and / or lifestyle. They all feel natural when you use them. They all ‘fit.’

The other main one is sights. If you can point the gun and have the sights pretty close to being on target then it is probably a good gun for you or at the least deserves some consideration. On the other hand, if 5 minutes after you picked it up you are still looking for the sites and thinking “well, I know they were on the gun when I saw it on display” then it probably should not deserve any further consideration.

It needs to fit your budget. You need a gun that you can not only afford, but can also afford to shoot. If either the gun or the ammunition for regular practice, typically a monthly trip to the local range, is outside of your budget it is not the gun for you.

It needs to fit your wardrobe. If you are going to use it for a carry gun, concealed or open, you need to be able to find a usable holster that is consistent with your manner of dress and affords you the most comfortable way to transport what may be a very heavy object while maintaining a good level of accessibility. After all, getting to it is almost as important as being able to use it. Don’t forget to take the long term weight in to consideration. Sometimes a good gun at 7AM can be a boat anchor at 7PM. Multiple holsters for different modes of dress is also an option. Owning an array of guns is an option as well, but since we are talking budget here I will not go down that rabbit trail.

It has to fit your lifestyle. If this is a first gun purchase it is not just a purchase, it is a lifestyle change. How are you going to store it? Where are you going to store it? Who’s going to have access to it? When are they going to have access to it? Why are they going to have access to it? Are you going to store it loaded? Are you going to store it unloaded? If you store it unloaded where are you going to put the ammunition in relation to the gun? “Oh look. Uncle Joe is coming for a visit!” And everybody knows about Uncle Joe. So now you have to do something different with the gun. “Oh look. Little Billy is coming to play with little Suzy.” What concerns does little Billy bring up? You know how you have taught little Suzy, but little Billy is an unknown. Is this cause for concern? These thoughts can greatly impact your ideas on storage and storage can greatly affect your ability to obtain and use the gun. A gun in the safe takes a lot longer to get to than a gun on your hip, but having a gun on your hip may not always be an option.

And finally…

Function – You want as much ‘flash’ and ‘bang’ as you can comfortably handle, but not so much that it intimidates you. If every time you squeeze the trigger it takes you a couple of seconds to get back on target it may be too much gun for you. A couple of seconds to get back on target after the first shot can easily be more time than you have. Considering a man can easily move 7 to 10 yards (an approximate distance of two car lengths) in about the same amount of time.

If the ‘flash’ and ‘bang’ is below what you can handle comfortably, it may be smaller then what you should be carrying. You may shoot a threat. However if the combination of the size and speed of the bullet is on the lower end of the handgun scale, it may not be enough to stop the threat. Simply put bigger tends to be better, but where you place your shots is the most important. A small bullet hit to the heart is more effective then a large bullet going over the threat’s head.

Now, with all that said…

It would be in the best interest of all concerned if you took a firearm safety course from an NRA certified instructor. They can give you lessons in safe firearm handling, gun related terminology and functionality that may impact your selection. Not to mention information regarding marksmanship, bullet design, related stories, news articles, and other gun related information that will greatly enhance your understanding of and ability to use firearms.

Pointman

imported post

Some of the answers here are pretty funny (like the .410 Taurus and the pink taurus). What did she get? Or if she didn't get one yet, what doesshe like more than the rest? (What's her "top five?")

cbigbrick

imported post

She is going to have to choose by either rentingor takinga handgun course. Mine was about 4 hours and at the end we got 1 hour of range time, shooting everything from 22lr to 45acp. That included revolvers and semi automatics.

My choice for myself was the H&K P2000 9mm V3.It has interchangable backstraps so I was able to fit the gun to my hand. Great 9mm and you can never go wrong with a german made gun. I'm very happy with it and plan tou use to as my CCW.

BTW...41/f