• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

One of our neighborhood kids got a bb gun for Christmas...

What would you do?

• let it go and replace the glass

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • go on a man hunt and make them replace the glass

• call the cops and make them do the leg work

• shoot one of the cats anyway

• Total voters

Pauly

imported post

and now there is a bb sized hole in my back door glass. :lol:

My wife is less amused than I am but what can you do?! I was curious to know how you gentlemen (and ladies?) would handle this situation. My wife is choosing to go door to door asking the neighborhood parents which little communist gets strung up by his/her little piggies. I was just going to replace the glass in hopes that it was an accident and or the young gun learned a lesson when they realized what they did. I guess I am resting on the age old adage, 'boys will be boys.'

We are probably going to go knocking on doors and ask the usual suspects' parents 'who dun it!'

I just want to enjoy my 4 day weekend without engaging in a man hunt. :banghead:

(My wife is paranoid that one of the cats is going to get shot by a 12 year old sniper. She should be more worried about the 30 year old, cat hating G.I. Joe wannabe she married!!)

You can see in the picture where the bb/pelet came through the screen. (about 10 o'clock position)

glass.jpg

glass2.jpg

bohdi

imported post

There are a few different ways to handle this. I would recommend you do go door to door and talk to your neighbors. Let them know your house was recently vandalized, a window was shot by a bb gun in the last few days, and that your concerned for their safety so your letting them know. Then shut up and see what their response is.

As a teenager I shot plenty of things irresponsibily with bb guns. It may not have been a neighbor at all, it could have been someone from outside your neighborhood doing drive by's.You could just be a completely random victim, or your entire neighborhood could have been the target. If every house but one in your neighborhood was hit, well you either have a shooter who ran out of bullets or someone didn't target their own house.

It also doesn't have to be a "kid".....an adult could have done this just as easily. A kid is more likely but do you have any new enemies your not aware of?

If my son/daughter did something like this, I would want to know about it. You as a victim not telling me about it wouldn't fix the problem, it would only make it worse. Having recently taken my son out paintballing and watching him handle the marker I have serious questions about taking him to the range to handle anything more lethal - he wanted to look into the barrel to see if there was any dirt in it while the safety was off and it was powered on....not to mention I believe he still had a finger on the trigger.....It's going to be a long road full of lessons for the lad. I want to instill in him the responsibility that comes with having this equipment, so that we can move up to the equipment that goes bang.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

I would try to go find the kid/family and talk to them personally if it were me.

If you know its a twelve year old I don't think you should call the police.

If you come to find out it was actually not a kid, but a "gangsta' " that thought it was cool to shoot out random windows, then by all means, call the police and report it.

lildobe

Pittsburgh (Beechview), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Sure, go looking for the kid who did it, but not to make him pay for the damages (A $5 piece of window glass and about 20 minutes of re-glazing to fix isn't really worth it)

Rather, suggest that the parent have their child come to your place for some gun safety and shooting lessons!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

lildobe wrote:
Sure, go looking for the kid who did it, but not to make him pay for the damages (A $5 piece of window glass and about 20 minutes of re-glazing to fix isn't really worth it)

Rather, suggest that the parent have their child come to your place for some gun safety and shooting lessons!

+1

I bet the little sniper's mom and dad offer to pay for the glass, anyway.

compmanio365

imported post

Citizen wrote:
lildobe wrote:

+1

I bet the little sniper's mom and dad offer to pay for the glass, anyway.
I sure as hell know I would.....then the kid's getting his rear end tanned and a serious lesson in right and wrong. In your case I wouldn't be a jerk about it, at least not unless you are forced into being one. I would bet the window would happily be replaced and the kid taught a good lesson....if it is a kid and not some jerk driving by taking pot shots at your house. Looks more like a .22 hole to me. If you find other holes in the house on the outside, or you can't find the person responsible, I'd file a report just so it's on paper that you had to deal with this......in case things come up in the future or if it's a continuing problem......you have your rear end covered.

irfner

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I would think your back door has a limited exposure area. Stand inside the back door and look out the window. You are probably looking at where the shot came from. That should help you reduce your search area. I would go to the parents and tell them it looks like one of the kids put a BB through my window and while I am notangry I think they should come over and help me while I am replacing it. Teach the kids how to replace a window and while doing so bring up the dangers of a random BB shot and get them to talk about it. Snacks might be in order here. You could turn this into a good learning experience for you and the kids. Or you can run around pissed off screaming at the kids and parents and end up with all of your windows shot out. How you handle it is up to you.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Poll - none of the above. You've gotten good responses:

Let the neighbors know you found a hole in the glass from BB/pellet/.22 shot. (did you find the BB/pellet/slug? I'd think it should be inside or right outside the glass.

Try to figure line of sight. You don't want to be involving a lot more people than those you must.

How the perpetrator (or his parents) react will tell you a lot. If a kid did it and his parents aren't willing to make him take responsibility, you know you'll have many more years of dealing with out-of-control neighbors, and that could be a valuable lesson.

If the shooter can be located, and if it's a youngster, lessons in replacing glass and in proper shooting can be extremely valuable.

As can losing the gun. My nephew recently shot out his bedroom window with a BB gun. However, he knew better than to be shooting in the back yard, to be using the gun unsupervised, and to fire where he could cause damage. These were all rules his parents had laid out for him. Needless to say he paid for the window and lost the privilege of having his gun for a period of time.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

Is it possible that your window is collateral damage as the shooter was actually aiming for something else? Teaching them the 4 rules and how to set up a proper back stop will go far towards creating a responsible shooter.

LoveMyCountry

Pauly

imported post

All fine responses. Thanks for the ideas. I don't think I have any NEW enemies but you never know. My street is pretty quiet and all the kids know me and play with my son when he visits in the summer. I don't think this was malicious in any way but I do think it was a youngster with a new red ryder bb gun. My wife and I looked all over the room (4x8) we couldn't find a projectile. This also makes me believe it wasn't a .22 either. I don't see any damage to the walls.

Who knows? I am just tired of listening to my wife bitch about it. I was at Kames® today and almost bought one of those high powered adult .177 air rifles w/ scope so she can avenge the door. But I didn't.

:dude:

bohdi

imported post

The term enemies is probably a bit strong, but like you said, you never know. I used to run through a gulf course with my buddies playing bb gun tag, so it could be as simple as that and as someone else suggested a proper backstopnot being used could have been the issue. I just wanted to point out possibilities, others posted some I hadn't thought of. I actually liked all the responses, a testiment to the good this forum can do!

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

You're a gun person. Find out whoshot your window out, then take the kid under your wing and teach him how to shoot safely.You'll make a friend for life, and it's one less kid to worry about. If trash hasn't been taken out, cruise theneighborhood and look for an air rifle box. That may provide some hints.

About the hole; that's a clean enough hole I think a kid got much more than a Red Ryder, especially if it were shot through an insufficient backstop. It's definitely a BB, wadcutter or possibly a hybrid (they make basicallyBB-tipped pellets now); anything more pointed than a ball end like a .17HMRwould cause more entry wound (it would try to separate the glass causing a hole bigger than the bullet; a blunt tip just pushes glass out of its way). As for projectile, your curtain will either have a hole or it won't; If it has a hole the projectile's in the living room; if not it's at the foot of the door.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I can't believe all this advice you got and the most obvious was missed. :idea:

I think you should round up all the usual suspects, Kids 6 to 16 years old.

Now that waterboarding is not considered torture I would start with the oldest kid. This should get some results. :shock:

I think you get the idea. I think you can take it from here.

For real, depending on the kids atitude (if it is a kid) I would teach gun safety. But these days don't be suprised you hear - My kid did not do it. My kid is an angel.

Superlite27

imported post

It is a .177 pellet hole. The smooth edges of the hole connotate a wadcutter like projectile. A simple BB would probably only crack the window if fired from a close range. The hole really isn't a penetration hole, it's where the pellet contacted the window. You might find it between the screen and the window. Since it is a pellet, it rules out a Red-Rider type spring BB gun. We're now talking air rifle. Older kid.

To determine whether it was intentional or accidental?

Take a length of straight heavy gauge wire. Like the bottom piece of a coat hanger. Stick it through the pellet hole AND the hole in the screen. This will determine the direction the pellet came from. Since it was an air rifle, it would have more power and a flatter trajectory than a BB gun. (Closer to being directly pointed at by the wire) Due to loss of power, the wire will almost always point over where the pellet was fired from. (Not always. If it had enough power behind it, it may point directly at the firing point. It will never point BELOW thewhere it was fired from.)

Where does the wire point?Is there anything between your window and a good source of cover? If there is a tree or bush in that direction, chances are it was fired through the bush or missed the tree and might have been unintentional. If it points to open space such as a street or parking lot, it may have been randomly fired, therefore, unintentional.

If the wire points toward a neighbor kid's window, or there is nothing of any "target worthy value" between your window and a good firing platform, chances are it was an intentional shot at YOUR WINDOW.

I'd definately look for a teenager. Young children aren't usually allowed to keep posession of air rifles. I had one when I was six, but I wasn't allowed to shoot it alone. You are looking for a lone gunman. Probably from 12 - 15. Definately not a girl.

Now...BOOK 'EM DANO!

Erus

imported post

Superlite27 wrote:
It is a .177 pellet hole. The smooth edges of the hole connotate a wadcutter like projectile. A simple BB would probably only crack the window if fired from a close range. The hole really isn't a penetration hole, it's where the pellet contacted the window. You might find it between the screen and the window. Since it is a pellet, it rules out a Red-Rider type spring BB gun. We're now talking air rifle. Older kid.

Take a length of straight heavy gauge wire. Like the bottom piece of a coat hanger. Stick it through the pellet hole AND the hole in the screen. This will determine the direction the pellet came from. Since it was an air rifle, it would have more power and a flatter trajectory than a BB gun. (Closer to being directly pointed at by the wire) Due to loss of power, the wire will almost always point over where the pellet was fired from. (Not always. If it had enough power behind it, it may point directly at the firing point. It will never point BELOW thewhere it was fired from.)

Where does the wire point?Is there anything between your window and a good source of cover? If there is a tree or bush in that direction, chances are it was fired through the bush or missed the tree and might have been unintentional. If it points to open space such as a street or parking lot, it may have been randomly fired, therefore, unintentional.

If the wire points toward a neighbor kid's window, or there is nothing of any "target worthy value" between your window and a good firing platform, chances are it was an intentional shot at YOUR WINDOW.

I'd definately look for a teenager. Young children aren't usually allowed to keep posession of air rifles. I had one when I was six, but I wasn't allowed to shoot it alone. You are looking for a lone gunman. Probably from 12 - 15. Definately not a girl.

Now...BOOK 'EM DANO!

Don't forget to check the Grassy Knoll and the Zapruder film.:p But this does sound like reasonable information, here.

Erus

expvideo

imported post

Kid needs to be held accountable, and he needs to learn respect for weapons. Figure out who it is and talk to his parents. He needs to learn that guns aren't toys, and BB guns would be a much better way to learn that then when he accidentally shoots someone's house with a real gun.

uncoolperson

imported post

remind your neighbors that shooting at your house with anything dangerous, will be considered shooting at your house with something dangerous.

nah... on second thought, run around the neighborhood talking to parents, let them know of you firearms background and offer to assist in creating/finding a safe enviornment.... do it in a cool uncle sorta way (if that makes sense).

on a side note, back when i was 13 i put a golf ball through someone's (not a neighbor) window, best swing i've ever had 5 iron and 100+ yards... waited a few hours for someone to come to the house then left a note, then left another after no response.... i think i was taught good enough (not perfectly, as it did happen).

FogRider

imported post

Find the kid (assuming it was an accident by a kid), get his parents to teach him a little more safety and respect for firearms. If it wasn't a kid, and it was deliberate, return fire (with your own BB gun of course).
Having said all that, it would seem I am not the only one who used to (ok, still do) throw out most firearm safety rules when I get my hands on a BB gun. However, I was smart enough to not break anything, and I don't do anything stupid around young impressionable minds.

imperialism2024

imported post

Superlite27 wrote:

Now...BOOK 'EM DANO!
Then, if it points to an area of cover, approach the area. Secure the area with yellow tape, and make careful observations about the scene. Next, get out the fingerprint equipment... If it's a tree or other rough surface, you may be able to collect skin cells, and run the DNA against a database of neighborhood kids... :p

I gotta go with the suggestion of rounding up all the neighborhood kids and teach them gun safety.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

"It is a .177 pellet hole. The smooth edges of the hole connotate a wadcutter like projectile. A simple BB would probably only crack the window if fired from a close range." -- Superlite27

:shock:

Please, stop the erroneous Sherlock Holmes impression: You are 100% wrong and so must not have any experience in this area whatsoever. Actually, your statement proves that.

It was a steel .177 caliber BB, plain and simple...it's just "who did it" that is in question, not WHAT did it.

EDIT: And rather than being done deliberately, it could have been an unintentional/accidental ricochet (of which the shooter may not even have been aware) since steel BBs are WELL KNOWN for bouncing off hard objects the kid may have been shooting at...like shooting at birds sitting on the bench just near the damaged window for example. Perhaps his parents didn't explain (warning) this point to said kid or didn't even know it themselves.

Yes. you sure can "shoot your eye out" with a BB gun, whether it be a Red Ryder or something else.

-- John D.